For Ladies wigging it and retaining length: Questions :D pls

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
How often do you wear wigs? How do you keep your hair under the wig?
how often do you m&s your hair while wearing wigs? Do you feel that wearing wigs helped you to retain length? Yes/no and how so? Lastly, what type of wig is your go to for wigging it? Please answer, Im intrigued.

Last edited:
PinkSunshine77

How often do you wear wigs? Every time I leave the house How do you keep your hair under the wig? Braids. I found that having my hair in a bun breaks it off.
how often do you m&s your hair while wearing wigs? Every day as usual. Or if I moisturize really well, every other day. Do you feel that wearing wigs helped you to retain length? Yes/no and how so? Yes. Out of sight, out of mind. If I cant see my hair, I dont play with it. Also, its protected from the element and my clothing which also break my hair off.

PinkSunshine77

How often do you wear wigs? Every time I leave the house How do you keep your hair under the wig? Braids. I found that having my hair in a bun breaks it off.
how often do you m&s your hair while wearing wigs? Every day as usual. Or if I moisturize really well, every other day. Do you feel that wearing wigs helped you to retain length? Yes/no and how so? Yes. Out of sight, out of mind. If I cant see my hair, I dont play with it. Also, its protected from the element and my clothing which also break my hair off.

You do not know how much this has helped me. Thank you very much :grin:

You're Welcome. Maybe others will chime in for extra support.

Additional questions for you and others. How do you protect your nape and edges when wig wearing as that seems to be a common problem when it comes to that type of protective style.

Additional questions for you and others. How do you protect your nape and edges when wig wearing as that seems to be a common problem when it comes to that type of protective style.

Fhrizzball

I wear a stocking cap so this is something I do worry about. I use castor oil on my nape and edges and because of how tight the cap is. If I dont need the wig on, I take it off. Sometimes If im lazy I will wear a silk scarf under the wig also. The most important part is counteracting the breakage which for me is the castor oil.

I wear wigs five days a week. On my days off is wear a hat to run errands.

I wear my hair in mini braids underneath the wig. Sometimes I cornrow the braids or pull them into a pony it depends on the wig.

For the first year and a half I wore a silk square with a stocking cap on top under my wigs. I haven't done this for the past three months because its been too hot, but I'll will return to this practice. My nape and edges have not suffered.

I BC'ed in March 2012 and just reached APL this month, I trimmed an inch earlier this year. I M&S and cowash every other day.

I usually wear short wigs. They're comfortable and I find that they last longer than long hair wigs. I feel as if wigging has helped me retain because I can focus on my scalp and moisture without having to worry about messing up a cute style.

However, after wearing wigs for almost two years straight I am bored. I'm thinking about putting some box braids in.

I wear wig daily. Have been for past five years. I am 4 inches from hip length, texlaxed. I moisturizer and seal daily, sometimes every other day. My hair is in six Celine braids always except for wash days to detangle. New borne free Freya, numerous RPG show wigs, currently Ruths Beauty Kerry Washington wig.

How often do you wear wigs? All day except for maybe 3 times a year for special occasions :look:. At night, I put my wig away but keep my plastic bag on under two wave caps.

How do you keep your hair under your wig? Braids. Don't know how to cornrow so I just do about 22 normal sized "unattached" braids... That sounds weird.

How often do you m&s your hair while wearing wigs? Whenever I feel necessary. I usually try to shoot for at least once a week.

Do you feel that wearing wigs helped you to retain length? Yes/no and how so? Absolutely! I don't over-manipulate my hair, touch it all the time or perhaps doze off on a cozy cotton pillow to set me up for a possible set-back in length and maybe quality (split ends, dry hair, etc.) of my hair. I agree with the 'out of sight, out of mind' thing. It helps a lot.

Thanks so much for everyone's answers. Looks like I need to start doing this to get my hair back in health. Just bought a glueless lace and it looks so darn natural. I can't braid either, so I think I'll be doing a side french braid tucked under, with a silk wig cap on top daily.

How often do you wear wigs?
5 days a week, during the work week.

How do you keep your hair under the wig?
About 20 plaits. I can't cornrow, but cornrows feel uncomfortable to my scalp anyhow. I wear a silk wig cap because nylon breaks my hair off.

How often do you m&s your hair while wearing wigs?
I cowash several times a week. I m&s afterwards.

Do you feel that wearing wigs helped you to retain length? Yes/no and how so?
Definitely. Focusing on my hairs moisture levels instead of being concerned about how cute my hair will look tomorrow, no heat, no manipulation from constant styling.

What type of wig is your go to for wigging it?
I wear a very short pixie, people compare the look to Nia Long's signature cut.

How often do you wear wigs?
I wear my wigs to work and when I go out. Sometimes if I don't feel like a wig and I am working out or running an errand I will throw on a rasta cap. I always take my wig off at home because it is important for my scalp to breathe.

How do you keep your hair under the wig?
I cornrow my hair. Right now my hair is in 13 cornrows going straight back. The nape of my hair is in about six individual braids because that area is fickle and doesn't like being in cornrows. I keep my cornrows in for 6-8 weeks and then one by one (using the finger detangling method only) I take them down and re-do them. This method reduces tangles from having to re-part my hair. I always wear a silk bonnet underneath the nylon wig cap because the nylon wig cap dries my hair out and can cause breakage.

How often do you m&s your hair while wearing wigs?
I moisturize and seal mostly every day and sometimes every other day. I treat my cornrows like they are loose hair so nothing changes. I co-wash often (3-4 times per week), deep condition, shampoo, and clarify when needed. Because my hair is low porosity I use the baggy method and the hooded dryer method to help my hair with moisture.

Do you feel that wearing wigs helped you to retain length? Yes/no and how so?
Absolutely!! I like that I'm able to take the wig off and pamper my hair as needed. It allows me to be able to leave my hair alone for significant period of time and care for it at the same time. The key for length retention is being very careful when you are taking them down and re-doing your protective style. I exclusively finger detangle so I retain most if not all of my growth. If you use a comb be super gentle and mindful of your ends.

What type of wig is your go to for wigging it?
The Mommy wig by Janet Collection is my go to wig. I wet it and fluff it out and it looks like a short curly stylish do. I get a lot of compliments and people actually think that it is my real hair.

How do you protect your nape and edges when wig wearing as that seems to be a common problem when it comes to that type of protective style.

First thing is that I cut out all combs, clips, and straps from the wigs. If you have to have something securing then I think the straps are the best option. I never use glue or tape that's an edge nightmare. I always wear a silk bonnet under the nylon wig cap. Add extra moisture and oils to your edges and nape. I have to keep my nape braided separately from the rest of my hair. Avoid wigs with scratchy and hard lace on the front and back.

ETA: My hair is about 3 inches from my waist. I've been using this method to get to my length goals. I did a couple of sets of minibraids this year for about five months but now I'm back to wigging it.

Last edited:
Back