Flat Twist Instructions

inthepink

I was reading some old posts about Flattwists and I found that someone had information with explicit instructions on how to do flat twists...but the info is expired now. Does anyone have this info saved anywhere and could post it for me?

I was playing around tonite and I flat twisted my hair in 5 sections but my flat twists lay off to the side. How do I get them to sit upright? It's like...the sideview should be the top view. I hope I'm making sense.
frown.gif

Hairlove, I know exactly what you are saying!
smile.gif
I have seen them being done at the salon with hair gel and the pointed end of a rat tail comb. I am gonna ask my brother's girlfriend, who is a stylists, how to do them.

I thought these were really good instructions. They are from Jill C @ naturallycurly.com

Flat Twist How-To

Jill C
This was my favorite hairstyle while I was growing out my relaxer!

* The PART is the most important part.
Make sure it is VERY straight. I used a fine toothed comb for this (some call it a rat-tail)
* Once the part is straight (you can make the parts are wide or as close together as you like) but remember, the thicker your hair is and the bigger the section, the harder it is to twist
* (Time for the interactive demo) hold your index finger and thumb together as tight as you can (like you are trying to pick up a tiny object)
* Starting with the very front the the section of hair, grab the hair (as tight as you can ) with both "pinchers"
* You should be holding two tiny sections of hair in between the "pinchers"
* Twist one section over the other, TIGHTLY, when the top section is all the way over, hold it with your middle finger and twist more , then grab it with your free "pincher"
* continue twisting and pinching as tightly as you can until you are at the back of the section of hair. Twist a little farther than you want just in case a little bit becomes untwisted.
* Twist your hair, while holding it straight up just like you are screwing the top back on a jar of toothpaste. (again twist really tight)
FOR A "KNOT"
* twist the coil around itself into a small "knot"
* hold the knot in place as tight as you can with one hand. (close to the base of the flat twist for better hold power)
* take a hair pin (v shaped NOT a bobby pin)
and stick the open end in where your finger is . Now push towards the front of your head.
* Point the pin down and with it touches your scalp, dig it in the hair a little more and now push it back the other way (towards the back of your head) Sort of "digging in" to your scalp as much as you can without hurting yourself, (although sometimes it does hurt a little)
FOR A Clipped end:
At the end of the twist, twist the hair around itself and secure the hair with a tiny claw clamp. (I got mine from Sephora)

There, you should have a perfect flat twist!
Make sure all the twists on one side of your head are twisted to the same direction to keep a neat appearance.
The trick to nice flat twists is how tightly there are twisted and how securely they are held in place.

Thanks DSD!

Sassygirl - this must've been the post that had been referred to in another post that I read. I'm going to save this and try again. I had a total flop today!

Back