Flat Twist Help!

Nazaneen

I've been brainstorming about how to get my hair into a curl pattern that's suitable to my taste. I'm currently relaxed and when I just air dry with gel my hair looks kind of ragged because it's wavy and uneven in patterns.
Braidouts make my hair too crimpy for my taste, I just do not like that look on me at all.
I realize that flat twists seem to give me the ideal curl size and texture I'm looking for and I was able to do 2 of them copying the method in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LmYD1MlPMg
I like this because it's just two which allows for a loose result. I cant stand crimpiness...
I still really suck at it and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right but I did something decent for a first try :lol:.

My main trouble is that when I get down past my scalp area toward the back and the twist is not resting against my head I CANNOT get the hair to stick!!
It just unravels on me and that leaves me with a bit of a messy look in the back :cry3:
How in the world do u get the hair to glue itself together and not just untwist???? I'm doing it on wet or damp hair btw...

Good question. It happens to me too. How about pinning each twist with hair pins in strategic places until it dries?

you might want to use little hair bands (without metal clasps) to hold the hair in place. or wrap the hair in a silk head band to keep it in place :yep:

@faithVA and other bomb flat-twisters, I'm wondering if you can help me with what I'm doing wrong.

I keep practicing flat-twisting the two sections at the front of my head, and my flat twists:
1. are not lying close/flat to my scalp
2. end up near the end with a very FAT collection of hair being twisted with a very thin piece of hair

Suggestions? Tips?

TIA!

@faithVA and other bomb flat-twisters, I'm wondering if you can help me with what I'm doing wrong.

I keep practicing flat-twisting the two sections at the front of my head, and my flat twists:
1. are not lying close/flat to my scalp
2. end up near the end with a very FAT collection of hair being twisted with a very thin piece of hair

Suggestions? Tips?

TIA!
The 2nd sounds like you aren't picking up even sections of hair and that you aren't picking up hair each time.

The 1st could be a few things but would be easier to say with a picture.

You might be trying to make your sections to big or picking up too much hair and your hair isn't quite long enough for that yet.
Or You aren't pulling and holding the hair taut when you twist the sections.

Can you show us a pic of one?

The 2nd sounds like you aren't picking up even sections of hair and that you aren't picking up hair each time.

The 1st could be a few things but would be easier to say with a picture.

You might be trying to make your sections to big or picking up too much hair and your hair isn't quite long enough for that yet.
Or You aren't pulling and holding the hair taut when you twist the sections.

Can you show us a pic of one?

Thank you!

I tried to get it clearer, but that's as clear as my camera wants to act right now. I'll try again . . .

WP_20170315_011.jpg

Yes, the pictures are very helpful.

Make sure you start the twist with 2 equal sections. If you look at your pic, you can see your first loop is really big and the one underneath it is much smaller. So you have to work on picking up the same amount of hair each time to get an even look.

I don't always get my hair even, when I get to just the plain twist part, I separate that section and make them even. Some people don't like to do that. They say their hair tangles. However, I have never had a problem because I twirl my hair while twisting and I don't keep my twist in more than two weeks.

Are you just practicing to learn how to do flat twist? If so, make your parts smaller and practice with less hair.

Oh and stretched hair doesn't lay flat easily. As you are twisting, grab each section and pull it taut before doing the next twist. So you want to keep some tension on the hair.

Yes, the pictures are very helpful.

Make sure you start the twist with 2 equal sections. If you look at your pic, you can see your first loop is really big and the one underneath it is much smaller. So you have to work on picking up the same amount of hair each time to get an even look.

I don't always get my hair even, when I get to just the plain twist part, I separate that section and make them even. Some people don't like to do that. They say their hair tangles. However, I have never had a problem because I twirl my hair while twisting and I don't keep my twist in more than two weeks.

Are you just practicing to learn how to do flat twist? If so, make your parts smaller and practice with less hair.

Thanks so much for your time and help, @faithVA. Yes, I'm just practicing to learn.

I'm not sure if I'm adding hair to alternating halves each time, if you know what I mean. I think I might be adding hair to the same half each time. I don't know. I'll practice again and watch.

That is a SUPER helpful tip about equalizing the hair amounts once you get to the regular twisting part. BRILLIANT! :D

If you were here I would hug you until you side-eyed me! Ha! Thank you, ma'am! I'll keep practicing.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your time and help, @faithVA. Yes, I'm just practicing to learn.

I'm not sure if I'm adding hair to alternating halves each time, if you know what I mean. I think I might be adding hair to the same half each time. I don't know. I'll practice again and watch.

That is a SUPER helpful tip about equalizing the hair amounts once you get to the regular twisting part. BRILLIANT! :D

If you were here I would hug you until you side-eyed me! Ha! Thank you, ma'am! I'll keep practicing.
:lol: If I were there I would help you master your twist in no time.

With practice you will be so good you will be able to do them in your sleep :yep:

Yeah, I'm not sure you are adding hair to alternating halves either. When you do your twist will look much smoother.

:lol: If I were there I would help you master your twist in no time.

With practice you will be so good you will be able to do them in your sleep :yep:

Yeah, I'm not sure you are adding hair to alternating halves either. When you do your twist will look much smoother.

Awww, thank you, Faith.

:cry4: I wanna come visit now! :crybaby:

I dream of the day I can flat twist this entire head! It's the missing skill I need in order to make this natural hair "experiment" (going on years now) utterly doable for me.

I'm going to watch the three flat twist videos that help me most and try one more 'gin and upload a pic before giving it a rest for tonight.

(Photos enlarge upon click.)

WP_20170315_018.jpg

WP_20170315_019.jpg

I watched the videos and tried again.

I did slightly better on one twist. For the first time I tried adding a second twist on the same side as the first, parallel. That one was VERY NOT close to my head. I'll have to try again in the future, focusing on why I'm not getting the tautness part right. Slowly but surely!

(Photos enlarge upon click.)

View attachment 391817

View attachment 391819

I watched the videos and tried again.

I did slightly better on one twist. For the first time I tried adding a second twist on the same side as the first, parallel. That one was VERY NOT close to my head. I'll have to try again in the future, focusing on why I'm not getting the tautness part right. Slowly but surely!
That is better. It is definitely more even.

When you get a section, take your finger and part all the way down to the scalp. I think your hair may not be laying flat because it looks like you are grabbing the hair in the middle of the section versus getting all the way down to the root. So when you are twisting one piece of hair over the root of the other section. Not sure how to say it in words :perplexed:

That is better. It is definitely more even.

When you get a section, take your finger and part all the way down to the scalp. I think your hair may not be laying flat because it looks like you are grabbing the hair in the middle of the section versus getting all the way down to the root. So when you are twisting one piece of hair over the root of the other section. Not sure how to say it in words :perplexed:

I'm pretty sure I understand just what you're saying. Thank you!

What you did here though should give you a nice flat twist out even if you don't get down to the roots.

Awwwwww! Don't let me get my flat twist-out accomplished. I will straight be pea-cocking it. Even if it's lopsided. :lol:

You're so encouraging. Many, many thanks. I'm heading to the ATL tomorrow, so I won't get to practice until sometime the week after next. I will keep your tips and help in mind when I do.

Stay blessed, Ms. Faith! :kiss:

Back