Flat irons and Oil - A Stinky Proposition

CenteredGirl

After much thought, I submit the following for your review and consideration: If your hair STANK up the room while you are flat ironing consider not using oils. I did an expirment over the weekend:

1. I prepooed with my coconut/Olive oil mix,
  2. I washed with Castille soap (usually use Baking Soda, but changed it for the heck of it all)
  3. I DC'd with a homemade conditioner that doesn't have oil in it for 2 hours under hot dryer.
  4. Then I applied Superstar heat protectant (Bed Head), blew it dry.
  5. Then I used Then End and the other Maxiglide serum. Rub together and applied from ends to root.
  6. Then I Maxiglide to straighten.
Guess what???? No foul smell :clap::ha:. I am of the opinion based on this expirement, that putting oil on your hair before flat ironing increases the likelyhood of burnt hair smell. Also, my Maxiglide did not have ANY gunk on it! Hair turned out fab.

Just thought I'd share. Oh and I'm a natural 4ab.

After much thought, I submit the following for your review and consideration: If your hair STANK up the room while you are flat ironing consider not using oils. I did an expirment over the weekend:

1. I prepooed with my coconut/Olive oil mix,
  2. I washed with Castille soap (usually use Baking Soda, but changed it for the heck of it all)
  3. I DC'd with a homemade conditioner that doesn't have oil in it for 2 hours under hot dryer.
  4. Then I applied Superstar heat protectant (Bed Head), blew it dry.
  5. Then I used Then End and the other Maxiglide serum. Rub together and applied from ends to root.
  6. Then I Maxiglide to straighten.
Guess what???? No foul smell :clap::ha:. I am of the opinion based on this expirement, that putting oil on your hair before flat ironing increases the likelyhood of burnt hair smell. Also, my Maxiglide did not have ANY gunk on it! Hair turned out fab.

Just thought I'd share. Oh and I'm a natural 4ab.

You knew it was coming...:grin:

:needpics:

I find that not putting anything n my hair once I've dc'd and rinsed = no STINKY smell. Except for my IC heat protectant. My hair smells of the yummy ic scent. Plus all that oil wears the hair down making it stiff.

I'm straightening this week and it'll be the first time I never used any oil at all!

I was planning to do a hot oil treatment, co wash and DC before straightening.

Did you use any oil in your DC? Should I skip the use of ALL oil?

Sorry if you guys expected pics, I just wanted to put forward a suggestion. I'm officially in hiding til next week. Then I will post pics. Thanks for your comments back. It's nice to know I'm on a good path. I just hate flat iron smoky burnt smell.

Back