FLAT IRONING vs HOT COMBING

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

IS THERE TRULY A DIFFERENCE???

COULD EITHER ONE BE BETTER FOR MY HAIR THAN THE OTHER?

I'VE NEVER STRAIGHTENED SINCE GOING NATURAL..... NEED TO KNOW WHICH IS THE LESSER OF THE 2 EVILS ????:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I've tried flat ironing but I didn't get my hair straight. It was more like a blow out. Of course, it could just be the flat iron itself, not all flat irons are created equal.

So whenever I straighten my hair, which isn't often at all, I hot comb. So far, so good. I DC beforehand (to get a straighter look) and add heat protectant while it's damp, and again when it's dry... during the hot combing process.

I've tried flat ironing but I didn't get my hair straight. It was more like a blow out. Of course, it could just be the flat iron itself, not all flat irons are created equal.

So whenever I straighten my hair, which isn't often at all, I hot comb. So far, so good. I DC beforehand (to get a straighter look) and add heat protectant while it's damp, and again when it's dry... during the hot combing process.

thank you so much!
I will (whenever this time arrives) be straightening in the salon
however.... i was very interested in which could potentially cause less "long term damage"

Thank u so much!

And is that your eye????:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: I'm so in love with that eye

I did mine at home, I badgered my mom into doing it for me (lol) I'm not sure if I trust salons ... but then again, I can count on my fingers how many times I've actually gone to one and probably still have fingers left over.

No, sorry to disappoint (lol) My eye is not that sexy :lachen:

I think technique is more important than the tool used. I can flat iron my hair relaxer straight. I can do the same with a hot comb. It's kinda trial n error at first, just start on low heat settings until you find the temp that will work for you n don't forget your heat protectant!!!

I think technique is more important than the tool used. I can flat iron my hair relaxer straight. I can do the same with a hot comb. It's kinda trial n error at first, just start on low heat settings until you find the temp that will work for you n don't forget your heat protectant!!!

thanks sis! i'm just worrying about damage
so the salon i choose will be important.... but i just didn't know if the flat or the comb was best

thanks again!!!

They are different....the two are typically just used for the same goal. If you don't know what you are doing, and don't have someone who can really show(not just instruct you) you how to press your hair with a hot comb and stove, I strongly suggest you learn to straighten you hair via flat iron, until you find someone to teach you to press. It is much easier to scorch/burn your hair old school pressing than modern day flat ironing it as a beginner.

They are different....the two are typically just used for the same goal. If you don't know what you are doing, and don't have someone who can really show(not just instruct you) you how to press your hair with a hot comb and stove, I strongly suggest you learn to straighten you hair via flat iron, until you find someone to teach you to press. It is much easier to scorch/burn your hair old school pressing than modern day flat ironing it as a beginner.

hey sis....i have several ceramic flat irons

but my straightening will be done at the salon
although i grew up getting my hair pressed as a kid....... not knowledgeable of whether either process can be better for the hair preservation than the other

i was opting for best process to search out in salons.... I don't want the salon "advising me" on their preferred technique

I'll probably end up doing a bit of online research:sad:
lol.... just one more thing to add to the list

What about the pressing comb that you plug in? To me this is similar to flat ironing(my opinion). If I press I would rather use this type of pressing comb, because with the old school comb I probably wouldn't have any hair lol!

What about the pressing comb that you plug in? To me this is similar to flat ironing(my opinion). If I press I would rather use this type of pressing comb, because with the old school comb I probably wouldn't have any hair lol!

i tried to find one for my niece:nono::nono:, hard to find

I rather get that swang swang :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: when i do straighten.... one reason i'm actually afraid of the pressing comb

I have flashbacks of that BLUE MAGIC PRESS:ohwell::ohwell: :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: stiff...no movement

but fresh to def' on the front row..... of my sunday school choir!!!

i use both (not at the same time) i think my hair gets straighter with the flat iron but i like how the hot comb gets all up in the kitchen and what not

i got my electric hot comb from sallys, gold n hot, $30

I think on this board the general consensus has been that pressing combs are more damaging. I think this is because you have the extra manipulation of the small teeth of the comb in addition to the heat. But, like anything, I think if you use the proper technique you should be fine (properly moisturized/DC'd before hand, heat protectant, small sections, making sure the sections are thoroughly detangled before running the hot comb through etc.)

ETA: I also use both, flat iron for most of the hair and pressing comb on the edges and front roots. I have an electric one from Sally's also.

When I first started to transition I had some shorter hairs on my edges (it was all natrual hair don't wory) that would be warm combed (don't like the term hot comb the comb should be that hot) at the end of my flat iron. Now that my hair is longer I get my hair flat iron professional (and it is really straight and stays that way). I think that yu shoudl go for the flat iron. There is better heat controll and that way there is less of a changes of heat damage.

Back