Fine Tuning My Relaxed Reggie (Need Input)

NewHairWOWeave

Hi Ladies, I am fine tuning my regimine and I would like some input. I would like to achieve maximum growth and health with my hair. I have some knowledge from family(whom are licence cosmetologiist) and LHCF.
I am experiencing some minor problems(or at least I think they are problems). The problems include thinning and breaking on the left side and dry/frizzy ends.

I take GNC Multi-Vitamin for Hair,Nails and skin.
And I also apply Mega Tek mixed with oils to my scalp at least 2X a week.
I am salon relaxed using a lye relaxer and stretch for at least 2 months.(I can never achieve max straight hair at home)

I go to the salon 2X a month(once every other week) and I wash my hair at home 2X a month(once every other week). I also Co-wash my hair when it feels too dry and its too soon to do another wash.

Shampoo with VO5 shampoo,Nexxus Therape
Conditioner-Nexxus Humectress, Suave Professionals Almond and Shea Butter Conditioner
DC -CON ARGON OIL packets and IC Vitamin/Protein reconstructor), Cholesterol Oil and ORS Hair Mayo

Nightly I moisturize with ORS Olive Oil and T Tree Moisturizing Creme and I seal with Jojoba oil. I pin curl or wrap my hair at night and cover with a silk scarf.

Daily I use the same products with the addition of some Profectiv products when I fix my hair in the morning.

I know its long but I wanted to be as detailed as possible to get the best suggestions from you knowledgeable health haired women.:yep: I have posted pics of my hair now.
Thank You in Advance

Attachments

• hhg5.jpg
    hhg5.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 53
  • hhg4.jpg
    hhg4.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 50
  • hhg8.jpg
    hhg8.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 47
  • hhg9.jpg
    hhg9.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Do you use a lye or no-lye relaxer? This will determine what products you should be using.

For example, if you are using a no-lye relaxer, you must use some type of chelating shampoo to get rid of the relaxer by-product build up. This thread is wonderful for relaxed heads:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=463686&

No matter what type of relaxer you are using, I recommend using products laden with ceramides. Check out this thread:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=523807

Hope this helps!

@taz007 I use lye relaxer. I have scoured the boards and developed my own regimine but I was thinking of using the ceramides. I will look into that when I go to the salon at the end of the week. I have a ceramide masque at home.

@SuchaLady yes it is that one spot. Thanx for the compliment. I have posted a pic in the first post and will post a better pic later today when I get a chance to take it

Last edited:
Hello! Before my HHJ I used lye relaxers combined with sulfate shampoos and I got that same damage. Bald spots and all. Now I only use no-lye (kiddie perms) and no sulfate shampoos and my hair has thrived. I grew and retained around 7 inches this past year.

I did a 12 week stretch to transition from lye to no lye (silken child). I'm a DIYer though. Let me know if you have questions. Oh and I have none of the dryness associated with using no lye relaxers and I do not chelate. *shrugs*

I wish u the best

bebezazueta
The thinning is only in that one spot. The rest of my hair grown thick and regular. I think that it is too much manitulation on that side of my head. I did a thread ealier this week about it. I think imma try low mani for that spot then see what happens before I change up my while program

Which direction do u wrap ur hair? I wrap starting on the right and now that side is always quick to lay down while the left is always sticking up. So I stopped wrapping it around my head. Instead I lightly tie a scarf around it when I'm wearing it out the next day and sleep on a satin pillowcase just in case. My sister has some breakage where she wraps as well so she has been taking a break as well

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Generally your hair looks good. About the thinning- do you wrap on the same side? Or brush there more? Frizzy ends, you may need to clarify/chelate/neutralise a few washes after the relaxer to make sure all the relaxer is off, also to make sure product buildup is not preventing moisture getting on those ends.

kupenda I do wrap my hair that way. I will try to not wrap it and just put a scarf on and I will buy a nice bonnet also.

hothair Thanx you for the compliment. I think I may brush there more and I know I wrap it on that side. I was thinking about a hot oil treatment this weekend when I do my wash. It helped with the frizziness last time.

I had a rough spot when I went swimming and didn't shampoo, I used DABUR AMLA OIL it solved that problem.

So you sleep on that side?

What do you wrap your hair with, maybe it is that mixed with sleeping on that side (maybe)

I do sleep on that side I do think it the combination. I may get the oil soon. I read some good stuff about it.

Last edited:
Hi OP,

A few things I thought of:

- How often do you use heat? Maybe cutting back would help your hair grow out on that side.

- Does your stylist relax just the new growth or roots to end when you get a touch up? They should just be relaxing the new growth with little/no overlap.

- Do you wear a scarf or a bonnet to bed? (I'm guessing so, if you wrap your hair?) That could help with the breakage.

Hth...I'm sure you'll get some helpful replies on here.

I personally think your regimine has a lot of products and is kind of protein heavy. When I was using tons of products, my hair contiued to break. It was when I simplified my regimine to a few staple products that my hair really started to thrive.

I think you should consider not relaxing the thin side of your hair until you are able to nurse it back to health. The shape of your hair after relaxing greatly depends on the health of it before you relax. It's good that you are starting to take vitamins, and massaging that area with castor oil mixed with a couple drops of peppermint oil may help.

HHG!

Back