Finally! Sedu vs Solia comparison

locfreeme

Hi, everyone. I hope this comparison helps for anybody out there who can't decide between the Solia and the Sedu flat iron. Both get top reviews on folica.com, both are ceramic/tourmaline, but the Solia costs about $30 less than the Sedu. I bought the Solia about 6 weeks ago, but I just couldn't rest until I knew for certain whether I had made the best choice. After searching the forums and folica reviews, I found very few reviews to help me out. SOOOO, I ordered a Sedu so I could make my own comparison. Here is my detailed review by category:

Cost:
Solia is $85 and Sedu is $118 from folica.com. Prices are comparable on Ebay.

Weight:
I held the Solia and the Sedu separately, with each hand. The Sedu is noticeably lighter. The Sedu is also much easier to squeeze and hold closed. The Sedu is also smaller in size.

Plates:
Both are very smooth. The Sedu has more of a glassy feel and the Solia feels more like oily plastic. Both are ceramic tourmaline, though and I couldn't tell whether one was better than the other. The Solia's plates are "thicker" than the Sedu. Don't know whether that matters, either.

Temperature control:
Solia is from 140 to 450 and the control is located "inside" the handle. I like this position because there's no chance that my hand will hit it and change the temperature or turn it off. The light blinks once it's ready. It gets hot in about 30 seconds. The Sedu's temperature control is on the outer handle near where the plug connects to the unit and ranges from 250 to 410. I don't like this position because it's possible that my hand might hit the control and change the temperature. It didn't happen when I used it, but I still worried about it. It gets hot in about 30 seconds.
I flat iron my hair on 300 degrees, so either temperature range is okay for me. But people who use very low or very high settings might want to consider this.

Hair straightening:
Now for the real test...I've used the Solia 3 times, so I already know it straightens my hair with just one pass, although I usually go over it twice. It's get to my roots OK. Afterwards, the length of my hair stays straight, but my roots puff up pretty quickly. That may just be inevitable for me because I sweat very easily. I do not notice any damage or scorching of my hair. To compare the Sedu to my Solia, I parted my hair down the middle (freshly washed, airdried, and oiled). I straightened one side with the Sedu and one with the Solia. I very carefully noted any differences in how my hair straightened and felt during and after the process. The differences were: NONE!!!! You can't tell which side was straightened with the Sedu and which was straightened with the Solia. There was no snagging or scorching on either side. However, the Sedu got very hot and I had to use one hand because it was too hot to touch with the other hand. The Solia also got hot, but not nearly as hot as the Sedu (probably because it's thicker and heavier).

OVERALL ASSESSMENT:
I'm sticking with the SOLIA and sending the Sedu back. Ever since I bought the Solia, I've been wondering and wondering whether I should have purchased the Sedu. I am SO glad I performed this test for myself, so now my mind is at ease.

Here are links to each iron:
Solia http://www.folica.com/Solia_Tourmalin_d1691.html
Sedu http://www.folica.com/Sedu_Ionic_Cera_d1557.html

Thanks for the review! I'm sticking with my baby Sedu though. I'll be comparing it with the Maxiglide soon.

Solia 1 1/4"

Sedu 1"

Both are very good (yielded the exact same results for me) so if you already have one, there's no need to go out and purchase the other. But, if you haven't purchased one yet, why spend more on the Sedu? The Solia performs equally well and is $33 dollars cheaper.

Also, I have about 2" of new growth and both irons straightened it the same, even despite the slightly different sizes.

I purchased the Sedu 1 and 1/2 inch two weeks ago. It's so light weight and cute. I love the plates. I will be using it when I take my braids out in two weeks. Glad to know it works well. Thanx for the review!

I am so glad that I ordered a solia a few months ago. The before/after pics on the solia finally convinced me to give it a try. I really like it but try to use it sparingly.

Great review, but I still love my Sedu! I was going to try the Maxiglide as well, but it looks too bulky and those teeth on it look like they would really pull my hair. Thanks for the review!

Thanks for the review! I had been trying to decide by reading all the reviews on the folica site. I think I'm going for a 1" Solia to get at the roots.

I have the Sedu 1 and 1/2" and it straightens really well. I don't even need to press my hair generally to get a straight look (I'm a natural 4a) but um lately my Sedu doesn't straighten as well. Did it wear out? I've only had it for a year. Can someone tell me why my Sedu doesn't seem to straighten my hair so well anymore? I was hoping to get more than one years worth of use out of it.

honey_jammz82 said:
Great review, but I still love my Sedu! I was going to try the Maxiglide as well, but it looks too bulky and those teeth on it look like they would really pull my hair. Thanks for the review!

How long have you had it? Does it still straighten as well as when you first purchased it?

lana said:
I have the Sedu 1 and 1/2" and it straightens really well. I don't even need to press my hair generally to get a straight look (I'm a natural 4a) but um lately my Sedu doesn't straighten as well. Did it wear out? I've only had it for a year. Can someone tell me why my Sedu doesn't seem to straighten my hair so well anymore? I was hoping to get more than one years worth of use out of it.

I really hope that I don't have that problem with my Sedu!

Does anyone have the pink solia? it's cute but i'm afraid it's not the same exact product. there are like no reviews for it.

Kristenxdollface said:
Does anyone have the pink solia? it's cute but i'm afraid it's not the same exact product. there are like no reviews for it.

I ordered the pink Solia this past Saturday and my son just called to tell me that UPS dropped it off. I'll test it out tonight and let you know.

It's soooo cute.

5925-A8565.jpg

I have the pink solia and I used it on my natural hair this past weekend. I ahve not had any solia or seu flat irons in the past. I love it. I was able to straighten and bump my ends. I used IC fantasia polish before doing all of this for protection. I was able to handle it easy and get close to my roots. It's def. a keeper.

Crysdon said:
I ordered the pink Solia this past Saturday and my son just called to tell me that UPS dropped it off. I'll test it out tonight and let you know.

It's soooo cute.

5925-A8565.jpg

Crysdon, what were your results?

Kristenxdollface said:
Crysdon, what were your results?

I love this flat iron. I set the temp to 370 and got the entire lentgh straight in one sweep (including roots). I like that this iron straightens my hair, but doesn't take out the body. What I'm saying is that it straightens, but doesn't make your hair look hella flat. The plates align to your hair and slightly move, so there's perfect contact. This flat iron even passed my humidity test. It's a keeper!

I had the FHI and the Sedu and the pink Solia is equal to both. I sold my Sedu because I got tired of flat ironing with one hand.

P.S. Get it now...Folica is offering free shipping and a free iron mat.

P.S.S. - The Pink Solia is even cuter in person. :)

Back