Failed latch-hook braids attempt... :(

sonycmyst

Ugh, I'm so upset right now!
So I've been growing my hair out from a baldie...it's about 4 inches now. I'm experimenting with some protective styles - mainly to hide my hair from myself so that I won't do anything drastic to it! So I got all pumped up last night while watching Youtube videos about crochet/latch hook braids. I decided I had to try this NOW. I went out to my (janky) local Sally's and even though they had a really limited inventory, I bought some (janky) perm straight yaki hair (which I knew wasn't the ideal texture of hair but I was overly determined to start THAT day). When I got home, I spent the entire night cornrowing my hair. I'd never done this before and was pleased with the result (for a 1st attempt). This morning, I started working with the hair. It was TERRIBLE. That hair felt like straw or sewing thread (Vienna Collection = que horrible). It wasn't gonna work (money down the drain, part 1)...
I decided to go out to another hair store and try to find something more curly to work with. When I got that back home with my deep wave hair (still not quite ideal), it didn't get that much better. I bought a latch hook also, because i couldn't make it work with the crochet hook (grrr). No matter what, the hair looked frizzy and uneven and just gross. I decided to be honest with myself and put the HOOK DOWN!!! (money down the drain, part 2).

Now I'm just discouraged, because I really want to try the style, and I'm proud of myself for getting these cornrows in...I don't want to just take them out in defeat! I truly think it was all poor hair choice. I'm such a spaz.
I guess I'll have to go on hairsisters and get the freetress bulk everyone seems to be using...and just be PATIENT while it ships. Until then, I'm feeling really beaten down by these last two days. I coulda flushed some money down the toilet, and it all would've been the same, you know?? What a waste. :P
I need a pat on the back, ya'll...

Attachments

• cornrows.jpg
    cornrows.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 55
  • crochetbraids.jpg
    crochetbraids.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 90
I don't think it was a waste. You got some practice in! Did you have to pay much for the hair?

BTW it doest even look that bad to me it just doesn't look full and I'm sure it's because you stopped....and I think you are supposed to use a latchhook anyway im not sure why they are called crochetbraids. I thought they were just like the old latchhook styles but with different hair.

It was...too much money, lol. I'm kinda embarrassed to say. Especially when I know that the hair normally used for this style is like 6 bux.
I seriously blew it on that front...!

lol well you did go to sallys. what did you expect? I've never even looked at the hair in there cause I know it aint for me hahaha. But my motto that I'm trying to live by: If you can't do anything about it, don't worry about it. That money is gone and it ain't comin back so don't let yaself get mad and frustrated thinking about it.

Aww...dont get discouraged, you jus have to be really carefull when seperating the hair not to let it tangle badly. The trick is not to pull apart slowly, but in a more fast yank more. I found that seperating to slowly made it more tangled and fuzzing looking.

ETA: Look at my side progression pic in this link. It looks pretty much the same as your pic. Dont give up!
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=491064

Last edited:
ehh, not sure what to say about the crochet hook and the straight hair...you kinda should have known that wasn't gonna work. LOL! but i can appreciate the fact that you were just excited....i've made rash decisions like that before.

as for the deep wave hair, we have members that have WERKED that hair. don't let it be a complete waste....use it! i say put some gel on the strands after you separate them and go ahead and fill it in. it may look a lot better after you finish. i used the water wave and even with that, it looked janky before i got almost finished.

good luck to ya!

p.s. i bought a latch hook and i still find it easier to use a bobby pin. ;)

yeah yeah, i already know... I normally don't fool with Sally's, but I was too HYPED about the whole idea, lol. I ran in there foaming at the mouth like a madwoman.
That's what I get for being impatient!

Back