Exploding Wash n gos

Napp

Ms. Nobody
does this happen to anyone else?why is this the case?

apply product for a wash n go

when wet it looks a little flat but you like the length it shows:ohwell:

semi dry(ends dry,roots wet) it looks perfect! nice definition,softness,volume,shape etc:yep:

fully dry it turns into a cotton candy poof.the curls look like they exploded or something:nono:

i notice this happens more often when i use a gel vs something creamy like a conditioner

do you air dry, or use a blowdryer/diffuser? i think using a diffuser can lock in the shape/length of the curls quicker before your hair has time to shrink/poof and so your dry hair will look closer to how it was when it was wet...however i like big hair so i dont mind exploded curls lol

:grin: I like the way you put it. My hair does this when I wng only. If I do a braid our twist out it doesnt "explode". I have left the house after a wng (VO5 strawberries n cream, giovanii direct leave-in, eco styler, castor oil) mid morning its just a lil fluffly end of the day its huge. I actually like it! I had a lady at work say "Everytime I come by your room your hair gets bigger and bigger!" All I could do was....:lachen:

do you air dry, or use a blowdryer/diffuser? i think using a diffuser can lock in the shape/length of the curls quicker before your hair has time to shrink/poof and so your dry hair will look closer to how it was when it was wet...however i like big hair so i dont mind exploded curls lol

it happens no matter what drying technique i use although. i dont mind big hair either but when my hair looks "exploded" it is also fully shrunken so its not really "big"....

SHRINKAGE! That's all.

but why do the curls disappear? my curls turn into fluff

:grin: I like the way you put it. My hair does this when I wng only. If I do a braid our twist out it doesnt "explode". I have left the house after a wng (VO5 strawberries n cream, giovanii direct leave-in, eco styler, castor oil) mid morning its just a lil fluffly end of the day its huge. I actually like it! I had a lady at work say "Everytime I come by your room your hair gets bigger and bigger!" All I could do was....:lachen:

the thing is it doesnt look big just fluffy/puffy and shrunken to the max.this also happens when i do braid outs and twist outs.:sad:

it happens no matter what drying technique i use although. i dont mind big hair either but when my hair looks "exploded" it is also fully shrunken so its not really "big"....

but why do the curls disappear? my curls turn into fluff

the thing is it doesnt look big just fluffy/puffy and shrunken to the max.this also happens when i do braid outs and twist outs.:sad:

it could also poof due to the weather, or the products/ingredients you used, or your hair could be overly moisturized

Curls disappear as in frizz? My hair does that too. I think it has to do with the actual strands but I haven't figured out why. My hair does not play well together, but when wet you wouldn't know it. The roots look crazier than the ends usually and I can control it better with gel vs. cremes.

I'm not sure I follow. Do you mean explode as in you lose curl definiton or do you mean explode as in the curls get bigger and your hair has more volume?

It seems like you mean you lose curl definition. If you are losing curl definiton then I would recommend you shingling in moisturizer and gel/curl definer in smaller sections and make sure to use enough product to weigh the curls down.

Last edited:
I am not natural nor can I do a wash-n-go but my braidouts do the same thing.

I noticed its the products that makes the difference for me. I usually co-wash at night, braid in two, and let go in the morning. Its still usual damp but wavy and it lays flat. Mid-dry, it looks great. Dry, its huge hair.

It I use a thick leave-in in it, it usual lays down more.

This is what I do: I Style my hair as I would for a wash and go. While my hair is damp, I do big twists all over my hair. I take them out once I'm ready to leave the house. I went to bed with the wet twists and unraveled and separated them in the morning. It's been a week and my curls are still intact. I just spritz it with water every morning and that's it.

I don't know if this may help your situation, but if you feel like putting in the work, you can finger curl each curl with gel or some product in it, then use an overhead dryer or diffuser to dry. When your hair is like 80% dry you can stretch the curls at the roots using a concentrator (make sure to scrunch/hold the ends so they maintain the curl) or you can put your hair in a loose super high bun to dry the rest of the way.

Yes, this takes time. I usually like frizz, so I don't bother doing this, but about once or twice a year I'll do it for a wedding, special occasion basically whenever there's family pictures involved and the pressure is on to straighten my hair or at least have a more "tamed" look.

Napp, you have fine hair, right?

I JUST recently got my WNG routine down. I realized that shingling, combing, or anything that requires my fingers to continually run through my hair to distribute product is too much for my fine kinks. It would look okay drying, but once fully dry, it would be a frizzy mess. I now apply my leave-in while in the shower, and scrunch my curl defining product in. Like you, creams work better for me than gels. Then, I don't touch it AT ALL until it's fully dry. Once I started doing that, my WNGs went from looking like this:
DSCF2191.JPG

To looking like this:
_IGP6802.jpg

Are you relaxed or natural?

I found that my curls fall flat at the end of the day,regardless if I put in products or not. I'm relaxed and currently transitioning over to the natural side. Hoping that my curls will POP and last all day.

Check your ingredients. I am finding if I do a wash and go with a product that contains glycerin I am guaranteed mega-fro by the end of the day.

I JUST recently got my WNG routine down. I realized that shingling, combing, or anything that requires my fingers to continually run through my hair to distribute product is too much for my fine kinks. It would look okay drying, but once fully dry, it would be a frizzy mess. I now apply my leave-in while in the shower, and scrunch my curl defining product in. Like you, creams work better for me than gels. Then, I don't touch it AT ALL until it's fully dry. Once I started doing that, my WNGs went from looking like this:
DSCF2191.JPG

To looking like this:
_IGP6802.jpg
Whoa! That's amazing! Thanks for the tip!

This happens to me too! Braid outs, twist outs or just wngs. Right now I have two granny braids and a 'fro in the middle. I was thinking maybe I need to texlax. I have 1/3 natural, texlaxed and relaxed ends. The braidouts, etc end up looking like a cottonball mess by days end. What are good products to use?

DSCF2191.JPG

To looking like this:
_IGP6802.jpg

First of all you look great.

Secondly, how do you cope with all the dripping hair, waiting for it to dry? - especially getting ready for work in the morning. Do you diffuse at all?

Bublin: Thank you! I only do WNGs on the weekend. My normal week/work look is a braid or twist out, or a leftover WNG. It is kind of annoying to have dripping hair, but I just take it as part of the game. If I do want it to dry quicker, or I have to go somewhere, I'll use a microfiber towel and push my hair onto my scalp. No squeezing and certainly no rubbing. I literally just push my hair towards my scalp and hold the towel there for a bit. I do that after I've applied the leave in and curl definer.

I don't ever diffuse. Even though the air flow is less concentrated than just a blow dryer with no attachment, it's still too much for my strands. They'll wind up looking like the first picture I posted. Diffusing doesn't work for me.

After you moisturize,seal with grease under your gel... the grease really does work to combat humidty...you just have to make sure you DC and moisturize before...

Back