Edges Breaking Off

Chicoco

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I would manage breakage occurring around my edges? I have already tried sleeping on my less dependent side....any other suggestions. My hair is fairly thick....and long, and besides this sore spot(literally)...I pretty content with my current length. Also, any suggestions on how to handle dry hair.

How are you styling your hair? Usually hair problems around the edges can be attributed to a style that is putting too much tension of the hair in this area -- eg., too tight ponytails or braids. Because you say the spot is sore, this makes me think that might be the problem.

I have always had "really thin, bad edges," but the problem has probably been exacerbated by my last 2 touch-ups :0/. If you need more info...just let me know.

Here is a list of what's helping my edges to get thicker:
1. Tying Satin scarf in different places every night (So that the knot isn't rubbing against the same spots around my hairline all of the time)
2. Making sure satin scarf or bonnet is tied near eyebrows and below hairline (so that it's not rubbing against hairline)
3. Massaging my scalp especially around the hairline with Kera Care essential oils for the hair (I do this about once a week and don't use too much, a little goes a very long way
this seems to be really growing the hair around my hairline
4. Wearing very loose ponytails and buns tied with a piece of satin fabric instead of an elastic band
5. Making sure roller sets are not too tight (actually my stylist does this)
6. Eating healthier (lots of veggies, fruit, lean meat,chicken, and fish,) and drinking a lot of water every day has made all of my hair grow a lot faster
I'm sure your edges will start growing back thicker soon
smile.gif

There are also some products you could try rubbing into the area. I hear that castor oil and vitamin e are good. There is also a product called nexxus biotin that supposed to help as well as ors temple balm. You could also take the supplement biotin to assist in the growth of that area. Additionally, I've found that keeping the area moisturized also helps.

My co-worker was just talking about her edges being thin and breaking and was advised by her hairsylist to use Nioxins follicle booster. She said that she does see a difference....HTH

if you're not wearing a style that's causing too much tension, then i think the most important is tying your hair up at night. i can't remember whether you mentioned that in your other post. if you don't like tying it up, you can use a satin pillowcase. either method helps avoid friction breakage.

if it's solely because of the retouches, you may want to consider finding another stylist. doing that more than once is really inexcusable.

Back