Easy&Fab Curly Braid-Out for Transitioners :)

Bmbshellle

I decided to transition and started experimenting w.different styles. I finally decided to try a Curly Braid-Out. I watched a few tutorials on them to get a general idea.. but the " Traditional " way didn`t quite suit me. I changed and tweaked things for almost a month before I finally got it right. I decided to do a tutorial [ Link Below ] about how I did it, if anyone needs a visual. The most important things that make the look are how you roll the hair on the flexi-rod. The hair has to be rolled at an angle to create a ' Spiral Curl '. The other is the hair has to be rolled up at least half way. I have seen a lot of tutorials where the hair was braided all the way down and the roller was only put on the very end of the hair. I personally like a more curly look, than a 'braidy' look. If that makes sense. So I found that If you braid half of the hair and roll half of the hair equally instead of putting it on the very end, your results will look more similar to a Wash n`Go instead of a traditional Braid Out. It also gives a fabulous blend of texture that makes you look like you`re not transitioning at all. For those of you who are having trouble dealing with your different textures while transitioning. Looks just like naturally curly hair. I would also recommend that if your hair has significantly different lengths from previous layering [ like mine ] be sure to braid and flexi-rod the shorter length separate from the longer length. That way the shorter length gets a good curl. If you end up braiding the lengths together, the shorter lengths are going to look more like a standard braid out, and the longer more curly. Obviously because the longer is getting the majority of the flexi-rod. It definitely alters the look, I have done it on accident before.

One thing not in the video tutorial is what I do for my edges. Currently I`m using Motions Sculpt & Twist Molding Creme. It's not marketed as a product for your edges, but I tried it experimenting one day and have been using it ever since. It lasts longer and works better than a gel. The hold is incredible, it actually enhances your curl pattern and gives a nice shine. It's thick so you only need a little bit and the jar will last forever. You can apply on wet or dry hair. It's just an all around great product. I just take a little bit on a toothbrush, and go around my edges and even my part if I have one. Basically wherever there's out of control new growth. Lol. It gives a nice neat, polished look.

Doing it this way I LOVE transitioning now. It gives me kind of a Tracy Ellis Ross-Esque look, depending on how much I separate it out. On top of that, it`s SO easy to do. I only do four braids w. four flexi-rods, and I get awesome results. Instead of having to do a zillion braids, which is time consuming and discouraging. Especially if you`re new to transitioning and need an easy style. Anywho, hopefully this will help someone. I included all of the other products I used to achieve the look in the tutorial !

[.Clickable Direct Link .] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1azF0QuJwk

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, but the link does not work. Whats your youtube name?

Edited to Add:
I saw the video. Your hair looks good. I like that it [vid] was short and that you only did four sections. I'm a big fan of 4 sections for my "out" styles. Thanks for simplifying it. I may have to try the braid twist thing someday again. I thought it makes my hair look alot shorter than it is-- w/the roller and all. Perhaps the curlformers and a more spiraled roll will help. Thx

Last edited:
Sorry, I fixed it ! & Thanks. I find that those exact products help, because I know exactly what you're talking about. Specifically the Lock & Twist Gel helps the most @ reducing frizz and puffiness if you want to separate a lot for a really full look. It helps the curls stay more defined

Thanks for the tips, but the link does not work. Whats your youtube name?

Edited to Add:
I saw the video. Your hair looks good. I like that it [vid] was short and that you only did four sections. I'm a big fan of 4 sections for my "out" styles. Thanks for simplifying it. I may have to try the braid twist thing someday again. I thought it makes my hair look alot shorter than it is-- w/the roller and all. Perhaps the curlformers and a more spiraled roll will help. Thx

YES, the spiral roll definitely helps a lot. I usually try and leave space between wrapping the hair around for a looser curl to retain some length. It depends on how close you wrap the hair around the flexi-rod.. but definitely use a flexi rod or something where you can spiral wrap, because a regular roller will give you different results.

Nice tutorial!!!

I will try this on my next wash day and post pics. I'm actually in the midst of a twist out and my relaxed ends are looking rough. I'm 17 months into my transistion and still holding on to my ends because I like the length. I may try the spiral roller set on the ends tonight to see if that will help revitalize my twistout.

you and your hair are both gorgeous!!

I do mine the same way, and i love the results. i dislike the look of a braidout without curling the ends, at least on my hair.
I may have to try that product you use-i'm a sucker for edge smoothing products.

Nice tutorial!!!

I will try this on my next wash day and post pics. I'm actually in the midst of a twist out and my relaxed ends are looking rough. I'm 17 months into my transistion and still holding on to my ends because I like the length. I may try the spiral roller set on the ends tonight to see if that will help revitalize my twistout.

Thank u! Have you done any Aphogee Protein treatments on your ends? That`s what I did to hold on to the length. It keeps mine in good shape while toughing out this long term transition since I`m not going to big chop.

you and your hair are both gorgeous!!

I do mine the same way, and i love the results. i dislike the look of a braidout without curling the ends, at least on my hair.
I may have to try that product you use-i'm a sucker for edge smoothing products.

Thanks so much! & me too, I was initially deterred from doing braid-outs because of that , but the curl on the end makes a world of difference! & the motions does a really good job, you should def try it out.

thanks i will try using flexi rods and see if it looks different. my braid outs look "afro-ish" to me and i hope this might help with that

Back