Dyeing Hair Cherry/Vampire Bright Red

Mizz Diamonds

My older sister wants to dye her hair bright red like Charli Baltimore and Rhianna for a long while now and finnally decided to go for it.
sq-charli-baltimore-grn-mtv.jpg

SO I'm helping her research on the Do's and Don'ts. She is leaning towards the brand Manic Panic Vampire Red
vampire_red_bb.jpg

I have seen some testimonies from some black women on the site who have used the brand but it's best to have all the info because I know she will find a way to blame me if something goes wrong and WILL use all my products.:rolleyes:

So can anyone offer some advice?

My older sister wants to dye her hair bright red like Charli Baltimore and Rhianna for a long while now and finnally decided to go for it.
sq-charli-baltimore-grn-mtv.jpg

SO I'm helping her research on the Do's and Don'ts. She is leaning towards the brand Manic Panic Vampire Red
vampire_red_bb.jpg

I have seen some testimonies from some black women on the site who have used the brand but it's best to have all the info because I know she will find a way to blame me if something goes wrong and WILL use all my products.:rolleyes:

So can anyone offer some advice?

unless her hair is naturally light, she's gonna have to bleach her hair to get that bright red...which means she's probably gonna have to stay on top of moisture and protein treatments if she doesnt want her hair to just quit her and fall out...especially if she already has a chemical process in her hair....ummm, thats all i got lol

Ah, memories. Broke my hair off twice trying to get my own holy grail of red. Good times.

Here's what I would do to keep her from doing a full bleach. Have her use a box color of light red/auburn. Something like Creme of Nature "Intensive Red", Dark & Lovely "Red Hot Rhythm" or I think Texture & Tones has an intense red, but since they're site sucks they don't have the listing for it. Anyways, after that, then have her put the bright red manic panic on it. It's going to be red. It's not going to be as light as Charli's, more of a bright medium red. And it does less damage then the 2nd option in the next paragraph.

In order to get it that specific shade, she's going to have to bleach her hair to lift the color & then use manic panic. If her hair is relaxed or damaged in anyway, please buy her wig or extensions (or tell her to buy them herself), because that's asking for high level breakage. And like iri9109 said, she's going to have to step up on her moisture & protein treatment game.

Something she needs to remember. Red dye fades quicker then any other hair shade. On top of that, manic panic is semi-permanent. If she wants to keep the color for a long time, she's going to have to have to retouch it very frequently. Also, a lot of beauty stores that sale it have a hair swatch, she may want to check it against her hand to make sure it'll work with her skin tone.

Manic panic has been the favorite of goths and punks for years. It's vegetable based. On it's own it's not going to cause any damage. The longer she keeps it on her head, the better.

It's maintenance, that's for sure!

I used to dye my hair red/pink often without bleaching it. as long as you don't pick one of the pastel colors and your hair isn't "jet black" from any kind of box dye, it WILL show up despite not being bleached.

I used a combination of Hot Hot Pink and Fuchsia Shock.

Last edited:
I use this all the time. It's my favorite for red hair. I hate the mess. I can never rinse until the water turns clear and even after about 5 separate washes the water is still pink. It gets on everything. My feet were pink for a good 3 weeks. I love the stuff, but hate the mess. The color does fade quickly, by the time it stops bleeding the color is gone. And it does dry my hair and make it hard so I have to use a really good moisturizing dc afterwards.

Thank you for the advice ladies, my sis found some YT tutorials too and they look promising.

ETA: Hi Im Mizz Diamonds Older Sis, I was jus wondering as many people have put up that 'Manic Panic Semi-Permanent Hair Dye' wont stay for long would it make more sense for me to use 'Schwartzkopft XXL Live Color Hyponitc Red' becus I have already dyed it this colour two weeks ago... obviously i would bleach it as the hair extentions I have are bright like Rihanna's hair..

Please let me know Im trying to find out a lot of info before I bleach it.

Also what type of protein treatments and deep conditioners would you reccomend? Please give multiple choices as we live in the UK and don't have a lot of products that you lot have in the US. Thank you

Last edited:
Back