Dry Roots?!?

anahnamuslyyours

It seems like no matter how mch I oil my roots, the very next day, it looks and feels like I NEVER did anything to them, but the rest of my hair will look all greasy. I have had problems in the past with breakage due to difference in texture, so I've been trying to keep my roots well moisturized to help combat this. But it sems like nothing I do helps. Tips? Suggestions? Empathy?

Use a moisturizer like S-Curl or Profectiv Roothealth. Also, oil is more like a sealant of moisture, not a moisturizer in itself...depends on your hair.

And how often do you moisturize your hair/roots? You might have to moisturize everyday or twice a day. Never let your hair become dry and brittle where it's proned to breakage.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
I can truly relate. Poohbear raised a good point though, the frequency of oiling your roots. I actually use castor oil on my scalp and rub it on my roots too, but I do this every other day. This has worked well for me. Now seeing how I like to wear my hair out :look: I do apply a light coating of castor oil to my hair inthe evening before i go to bed and in the morning before I go outside (paying extra special attention to my ends).

Oil isn't really a moisturizer per se, I would reccomend a cream moisturizer, but not one with too much of a water content if you'll be wearing your hair out. I would also ask, how often do you wash your hair? I ask this because washing often combined with a good moisturizer could definitely eliminate your dry roots. S-curl, I cannot do...in fact I bought some the other day, used it and promptly washed my hair. *it'll be given away at the next DC Meeting* Profective Root Health is good except when it dried it didn't feel the way I would have liked. I would recommend Carol's Daughter Hair Milk, it's GREAT!

I think the oil is just coating your roots and making the length of your hair oily.

Another RootHealth user chiming in! I don't actually use it as a daily moisturizer, I use it as a leave-in after I wash my hair. The key is to find out how much of it your hair likes. Don't over-apply because it'll build up or feel weird.

If my hair is already dry, then oil usually doesn't do it for me. I'll need to use a creamy moisturizer, or even better, just wash my hair and start anew.

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips.

I have been washing my hair once a week and then using plain old EVOO to oil my roots and length. I oil my length and my roots every other day, or every two days. I'm not big on products (yay!), so I try to keep it to a minimum.

Could my sweating at night have something to do with the dryness? I have a pretty high body temp (I'm normally at about 99.2 - that used to help me a LOT when I didn't want to go to class!), so I usually end up sweating all the time. This is the main reason why I refuse to go natural...I like wearing my hair straight too much to deal with all the stress and drama that goes into flat ironing, pressing and the like. I tried it once before, and hours after getting my hair pressed, it would revert right back. But not all of it. Man, my hair used to look a MESS!

belladionne922 said:
Thanks for all the suggestions and tips.

I have been washing my hair once a week and then using plain old EVOO to oil my roots and length. I oil my length and my roots every other day, or every two days. I'm not big on products (yay!), so I try to keep it to a minimum.

Could my sweating at night have something to do with the dryness? I have a pretty high body temp (I'm normally at about 99.2 - that used to help me a LOT when I didn't want to go to class!), so I usually end up sweating all the time. This is the main reason why I refuse to go natural...I like wearing my hair straight too much to deal with all the stress and drama that goes into flat ironing, pressing and the like. I tried it once before, and hours after getting my hair pressed, it would revert right back. But not all of it. Man, my hair used to look a MESS!
Me too bella. Especiallty at night, I am always hot. My husband accuses me of trying to freeze him out since I turn the heat real low. :lol:

Maybe this is why I am able to use castor oil on my scalp every other night. I think my scalp probably absorbs it too. I am sure that going outside in the elements I don't have to worry about the castor oil on my hair makingit heavy. I have never had that problem.

belladionne922 said:
It seems like no matter how mch I oil my roots, the very next day, it looks and feels like I NEVER did anything to them, but the rest of my hair will look all greasy. I have had problems in the past with breakage due to difference in texture, so I've been trying to keep my roots well moisturized to help combat this. But it sems like nothing I do helps. Tips? Suggestions? Empathy?

Is it cold where you live? Do you have heat on in your house? I am experiencing dry scalp now also due to the heating in my house. Dry heat always ruin my scalp. I grease my scalp now 2 times a week to avoid having flakes.

I have always suffered from an extremely dry scalp with dry roots, and with the bitter winds we're having, my scalp/roots have become even drier. I started using John Frieda's Relax Moisture Remedy Intensive Rehydrating Balm, and it has been a true lifesaver. It's not too heavy or oily at all, so it doesn't weigh my hair down, and it doesn't build up on my scalp like some of the other cream scalp moisturizers that I've used. It's been the perfect answer for my desert scalp and roots.

Back