DRY NEWGROWTH EXTREME!!!

search'en

I am still very new, but I am learning sooo much.

I am having such an issue with my transitioning, am about 3 months since my last relaxer working on 4. But my issue is, I can't seem to get the new growth suck up some of the moisturizers that I put on it. The relaxed part of my hair is ok, but I have so much frizz in my bun and the natural part or new growth looks so dry, when its really not dry.

Can anyone help me or recommend some good prodructs to help:perplexed

Hey!

I'm not transitioning, but my last stretch was 3months and I know how you feel I was struggling with dry new growth. I was really confused because during the first few months of my HHJ I stretched just as long and my new growth was very manageable...so I starting thinking about what had changed.

I was still co washing but with different products and not as often...so I revisited cheapie moisturizing conditioners like Suave naturals which really made a difference. I also found a couple moisturizers that actually soften my hair and I applied it twice daily to my ng and sealed.

I've learned that although some conditioners (DC or cheapies) make your hair feel soft while it's in your hair the true test of a good conditioner is if your hair is still soft after it's rinsed out.

I think the type of products you use really make a difference...unfortunately I learned what works for me through a lot trial and error...

my moisturizer/ leave-in-->HE LTR & Darcy's Botanicals Transitioning Cream
DC-->Silicon Mix
Co-wash--> Suave Naturals Coconut/VO5 Moisture Milks

HTH :)

Last edited:
i use honey in my DC. Since mine was really dry I slept in a shower cap overnight. One I washed it out in the morning my ng felt best soft and moisturized. Honey will work wonders!!

Thank you so much for your suggestions. "What leave in are you using? What are you currently moisturizing with? "

911 leave-in...and you know it kind of makes my hair sort of hard. I am really clueless when it comes to hair management, and I learn something new every step of the way. but I know I should really consider using a better leave in.

Also, I have a whole bottle of honey at home, and never thought about that..so I could try that first...and if it doesn't work, maybe some of the other suggestions :drunk:

I really feel your pain. I am only 5 weeks post and I'm struggling with mine. I am in cornrows now because of it. Good luck.

I like profectiv root health. Its moisturizing, not drying.

1601.jpg

Thank you so much for your suggestions. "What leave in are you using? What are you currently moisturizing with? "

911 leave-in...and you know it kind of makes my hair sort of hard. I am really clueless when it comes to hair management, and I learn something new every step of the way. but I know I should really consider using a better leave in.

Also, I have a whole bottle of honey at home, and never thought about that..so I could try that first...and if it doesn't work, maybe some of the other suggestions :drunk:

If your leave in contains protein ,it will make your hair drier. That's what I have found.

I'm in a similar situation, I'm 6 weeks post and I have a lot of new growth. Co washing every other day has helped, Silk elements leave in is good, as well as coconut oil. I have read that some ladies apply heavy moisturizing conditioners like a relaxer to the new growth I guess it's suppose to make it more manageable once you leave it in for an hour then rinse it out.

I finally tried a non sulfate shampoo and my hair is less dry now. That is the only thing I changed so I'm pretty sure that's what made the difference.

In addition to what everyone else said, try drinking more water and taking a flaxseed supplement. It will take some time to see results.

I use Boundless Tresses Revitalizing Hair Balm on my ng, and it tames it right away. It contains Castor oil and coconut oil to really make my ng soft while I stretch. I finger part and apply directly to my scalp 'bout 3 or 4x's per week, and the new growth stays really soft and manageable. www.growthspecifics.com

Hope this helps.

*bump*

reviving this old thread cause I'm having dry new growth issues. I'm 6 months post and I want to know how long it took to combat that new growth/natural hair dryness. Also, any other suggestions to make it stop. :spinning:

After applying your leave ins, try using castor oil to seal your ends and new growth. It really helped me when I was transitioning to keep my hair moisturized.

Care Free Curl.
My new growth is generally pretty dry and rough, but with a few spritzes of Care Free Curl, it feels moist and juicy almost right away.

MY new growth is still dryer than my relaxed ends. I just make sure to keep up with my co-washes and focus on sealing in the moisture. If I don't co-wash for days or at least wet my hair, then my ng will get stupid dry.

In my most reccent experience, I co-washed using a new condish several days ago. I clarified w/ V05 shampoo before using the condish because I wanted to gauge the quality of the condish on my stripped hair. Generally, I wet bun so my hair is a bit damp in the middle for about 2 days. However, my edges and the top dry quickly and if I don't moisten and seal each night my edges feel crunchy and dry.

I immediately knew this condish was different the morning after my cowash, when my edges were still moisturized and soft. 2 days later I took down my bun and the middle of my hair was just as soft as it is when damp. This is a miracle for my hair b/c this is the most dense part of my hair that does not retain softness and moisture even through it's rarely exposed to the elements. My new growth was waving and behaving, a joy to detangle, clumping and curls popping, and my hair smelled amazing.

So drum roll please. Which condish gave me such favorable results? Tune in tomorrow for the answer :)

Kidding, Kidding! LOL

TRESemme NATURALS NOURISHING MOISTURE CONDITIONER! I have retired my beloved Suave Humectant in favor of this new find. I'm settled into this transition for another 3 months.

Last edited:
Back