dry frizzy ends after rollerset...help

mirrormirror

Well I finally decided to actually rollerset my hair, instead of always going to the salon about every week. I really want to save money. My rollerset came out o.k but the only setback was that my ends came out so frizzy and dry, it looks like my ends were airdried. I wanted a really smooth, shiny set all the way through, like in the salons. I used the rollers with the snap on covers. I washed with creme of nature shampoo, 2x and then I deep conditioned for 30 minutes. But maybe I should of towled dried my hair then put on the conditioner?...Instead I had put on the conditioner while my hair was soaking wet...could that be the problem?
Or maybe I didn't use enough setting lotion. I used Lottabody setting lotion, but I may have diluted it too too much. I want the second time to go right which will be on Wenesday.I am just so upset about my ends so I had to comb through it to get the dry knots out, I just hope it doesn't break off by Wendesday. Do ya'll have any suggetions on what I can do to get a smooth set. Thanks.

Were your ends wet as you rolled each section? I'm not really great at rollersetiing but I do know that if your ends aren't wet when you go to roll your hair, the ends will dry frizzy. Other than that, I have no clue and maybe someone else can help you.

The only other thing I can think of is to use a moisturizer or oil of some sort on the ends. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

MirrorMirror,

Rollarsetting is fiddly but the best way to get smooth ends after a rollar set is:

1. Make sure the hair is very wet while rollarsetting. That way it lies slick and straight against each rollar. If sections of hair start to dry, spritz them with water (have a water gun around). Sometimes I'll use just water or a diluted conditioner mixed with water. If you rollarset with semi dry hair it'll dry frizzed.

2. Use a fine toothed,rats tail comb to do the final comb through of each wet hair section. This keeps the hair smooth.

3. You may want to use a serum on the ends before rollarsetting which also helps the hair stay smooth. I've found that adding extra virgin olive oil to conditioner also makes the hair more slippery too, again ensureing its smooth which is what you want.

4. Make sure the hair is dry completely before removing rollars.

5. Before rollarsetting, try (if you don't already) washing the hair in the shower with the water running from forehead down. The hair comes out less tangled this way. You may want to concentrate your conditioner on the ends more too if you don't already. Also do a cold final rinse to help close the cuticles, making the strands even more smooth. I don't use a towel anymore when drying. I just squeeze the water out of the hair since I need it to be very wet anyway for the rollarset.

Hope these points help a bit! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

You have to make sure your ends are slicked onto the roller. I'm puzzled as to why your hair on the roller didn't come out straight though. When I did my set with the snap on rollers I smoothed my ends on the roller before I started to roll. Did you do this? If so, you might need a heavier setting lotion or cream. Since I've only done one good rollerset since I've gone natural, I'm not sure why your ends may not have dried smooth.

But please don't get discouraged if this rollerset didn't come out as good as you hoped. It took me a while when I was relaxed to get a good rollerset. It just might take a few good times before you do a banging rollerset.

I agree with everything all the other ladies said...try a different setting lotion(Lottabody lotion made my hair hard..I use the creme), hair must be wet so it kind of 'sticks' to the rollers. Combing through each section before you roll it with a fine tooth comb helps. Also as someone else mentioned using something on your ends like a serum, some of the ladies use a little wildgrowth oil, I use my pomade. And last make sure the ends are completely dry(not mostly dry). Before unrolling(test one in the crown at the back(that area usually takes the longest to dry). Plus if you really need a trim...your ends won't be as smooth either.

You guys all make great suggestions. Apart from making sure that the hair is wet and smoothed out, the use of end paper will help eliminate the frizzy ends. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks everyone. I didn't get the hair to smoothly go on the the roller. And my hair did dry very quickly while I was rollersetting and I didn't spray more water. Although I dont think it has anything to do with needing a trim because when I go to the salon my end come out very smooth.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
mirrormirror said:
Well I finally decided to actually rollerset my hair, instead of always going to the salon about every week. I really want to save money. My rollerset came out o.k but the only setback was that my ends came out so frizzy and dry, it looks like my ends were airdried. I wanted a really smooth, shiny set all the way through, like in the salons. I used the rollers with the snap on covers. I washed with creme of nature shampoo, 2x and then I deep conditioned for 30 minutes. But maybe I should of towled dried my hair then put on the conditioner?...Instead I had put on the conditioner while my hair was soaking wet...could that be the problem?
Or maybe I didn't use enough setting lotion. I used Lottabody setting lotion, but I may have diluted it too too much. I want the second time to go right which will be on Wenesday.I am just so upset about my ends so I had to comb through it to get the dry knots out, I just hope it doesn't break off by Wendesday. Do ya'll have any suggetions on what I can do to get a smooth set. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

My leave in conditioner that I set my hair with contains oils. I like to roller set my hair while it's saturated with water. Thus "my" ends are at their smoothest. If I find that my ends are as smooth as I would like it once removing the rollers, I spray my hair with a little Ultra Black Hair Dew while it is wrapped and seal it with oil. Usually the next morning, or 2 days of wrapping will smooth out any frizzy ends.

Back