dry and itchy scalp!

LivingDol1

help! i was wondering if anyone has dealt with itchy scalp issues and found a way to remedy it. i don't know if i'm overreacting or what.

when it comes close to "wash day" the crown of the head always feels itchy. the rest of my head feels fine! i was going to wash it this morning but when i looked at my hair, i decided that i didn't need to wash it now and it looked fine enough to wear down today. i was looking at my scalp today and it is pinker in that area than anywhere else on my head. as far as i can tell, it's been that way for months, at least as long as i've had my braids out. i always notice it when i section off my roller sets.

i'm probably going to be a nut and make an appointment with my dermatologist but i was wondering if anyone else has any suggestions...

thank you!

You know I had the same reaction when I washed and roller set my hair. I think the scalp is too dry. I've added spraying olive oil hair spray prior to sitting under the dryer. In addition, after removing rollers I added the Vanita oil. I washed three days ago and I don't recall having the itchy scalp. So I guess it works. I know how you feel, boy I suffered with that itchy scalp. My wrap had came out smooth and fly, but by the time I finished digging in my scalp, I had to pin my hair up. I hope this helps. :)

I have had dry scalp for years these are some things I found that help
Hot oil treatments once a week
Lotion moisturizer in dry areas befor rolling while wet
Shapoo less and condition twice a week
Avada scaple remedy every day until under control
Hope this helps

thanks for the suggestion. i just bought some oil sheen spray. i think i will spray my roller set before i sit under my dryer and see how that turns out.

what's vanita oil?

You know I had the same reaction when I washed and roller set my hair. I think the scalp is too dry. I've added spraying olive oil hair spray prior to sitting under the dryer. In addition, after removing rollers I added the Vanita oil. I washed three days ago and I don't recall having the itchy scalp. So I guess it works. I know how you feel, boy I suffered with that itchy scalp. My wrap had came out smooth and fly, but by the time I finished digging in my scalp, I had to pin my hair up. I hope this helps. :)

cool. i have never ever done a hot oil treatment. i may have to explore that avenue

I have had dry scalp for years these are some things I found that help
Hot oil treatments once a week
Lotion moisturizer in dry areas befor rolling while wet
Shapoo less and condition twice a week
Avada scaple remedy every day until under control
Hope this helps

Are you washing that area really well? My hair is very thick on the top of my hair and that is where it mostly itched. I started really scrubbing that area ( with a natural shampoo) and the itching has not come back. I have also been increasing my conditioning treatments, which has helped alot. You could also be having a reaction to something aswell.

I had really bad itchy scalp until I switched to non-sulfate shampoos. Some people really like sulfur 8 & tea tree oil, but the smell was too overwhelming to me. Scalpicin is nice, but it is watery so it will revert your hair in a second.

If you do a search for "itchy scalp" on the board, a lot of topics with great suggestions will pop up.

I wash once a week.

I started using head and shoulders along with my regular shampoo and conditioner and it's help a ton. My hair is soft, manageable, and a lot less dry/itchy.

Do you live somewhere that it's cold in the winter? We had some days where the low was -24 (windchill -50!) and I found that week, I thought my hair was dying because it was so dry.

Three words: moisture, moisture, moisture!

ooh, wow, i took a 3 hour nap and woke up to a wealth of suggestions! thanks ladies! ;)

i live in NY but it's not like, too too cold. maybe i'm not paying enough attention to moisturizing my scalp... i used kera care's dry and itchy scalp gel on that area this morning. i don't use it consistently.

i also wonder if the heat from the bonnet dryer is making my scalp red since it might hit that spot very easily. like it's sensitive or something. i will start to use some of these suggestions, try a non-sulfate shampoo, see what works and report back in the future.

off to wash and roller set again! :)

I used jamacian Black castor oil on my scalp and hair. Its thick so i hope you are not heavy handed with products. Im natural with 4a and a lil 3c and sometimes my scalp gets a lil dry andd itchy...this stuff works like a charm

I would definately try hot oil treatments before every wash. Sulfur is supposed to be good for itchy scalps and dandruff and tea tree oil is great as well as lavendar and rosemary oils. I just did a blog about oil infusions if you want to make your own, but i'm sure there are alot of good ones already out there.

i had the same problem until i switched to an sls free shampoo. it seems like such a tiny change to make but for me it has made all the difference.

I have always had a dry, itchy and flaky scalp. I have been using the moegrow oil. Problem solved. I am so happy I found this site. I used to get my hair blow dried with every wash and some days it would almost look like it was snowing from my scalp. Every single beautician I went to would take out some oil - whatever was lying around and put a few drops on the problem areas. A few would suggest that I need to drink more water or it was just the weather but none of them ever addressed the issue or gave many any ideas or tips on how to fix it. One batch of moegrow and my dry, itchy, and flaky scalp ended.

Last edited:
my scalp is constantly dry, and consequently, rull of dandruff. as gross as it is, i had HUGE flakes of dandruff at one point. i mean, it was utterly ridiculous. but i use keracare's dry and itchy scalp shampoo and conditioner every other time i wash. i swear it clears up my dandruff like that! maybe you could give it a try! just a suggestion :) wish you the best!

sav

I have really dry scalp and what I've been told helps is drinking a lot of water and taking flax seed oil and a multi vitamin. When I was taking my supplements my scalp was never dry. I haven't been on my job... I'll go back!

I also had an incredibly itchy spot in the Crown Area. It was both Dry & Itchy. It is a whole lot better now however. I applied a mixture of Coconut Oil & Peppermint EO in a jar and rubbed it on. It took care of both the Dryness & the Itch. I also thought about getting Tea Tree Oil to Add.

In another Thread someone had mentioned adding Tea Tree Oil and Peppermint Oil to their Shampoo(s) Conditioner(s) to help combat "itch"

If mine ever flares up again, (which I hope it doesn't) :wallbash: I may try that. But the Coconut Oil & the Peppermint Oil worked wonders.:yep:

I never had dandruff, just dry and itchy scalp. For many years my scalp would itch, especially in winter. But since I've started using head and shoulders shampoo, no more itchies! I only use it once a month or every 2 months.

Back