does trimming really help

vpoetic

I am so sad right now :sad: So I finally got my hair to my bra strap and my friends been telling me for a while that I need to get my ends trim. So finally I listen to them and now my hair doesn’t even come near my bra strap. I came home and wanted to cry, so I ask is it really worth it. Because it seem like every time I get my ends cut, it like I am starting back at square on again.

i'm sorry you're feeling down about trimming. One thing this board has taught me is how to determine when you NEED a trim. If your ends are healthy, strong, and aren't breaking, you don't need a trim. Trimming can help improve the appearance of your ends if they're uneven, or if you desire a certain *shape* to your hair, such as a U or a V, or even a blunt look.

But again, if your hair is healthy, strong, and moisturized, no need to fret, don't trim.

Perhaps this thread will help you: this is a page that helped me when i started on this journey. scroll down to number 16 and read about trimming.

http://journals.fotki.com/dontspeakdefeat/newcomer/

good luck :peace:

I understand how you feel. you got there once and you'll get there again.

I trimmed my ends last night. holding off on going to the salon because I don't want them cutting all of my strands.

my hair is very uneven from the relaxer and trims do wonders for me.

don't cry lady. just make it your goal to get there again.

many hugs for you today.

I am so sad right now :sad: So I finally got my hair to my bra strap and my friends been telling me for a while that I need to get my ends trim. So finally I listen to them and now my hair doesn’t even come near my bra strap. I came home and wanted to cry, so I ask is it really worth it. Because it seem like every time I get my ends cut, it like I am starting back at square on again.

Feel better Sweetie. You'll get back to BSL in no time. From now on, don't let anyone be the director of your show. If you don't believe you don't need one, then guess what? You don't. Your friends probably wanted you to have shorter hair anyway. Just flip that pretty hair of yours and know that you'll be back to BSL in no time.:yep:

we've all been there . it does help though.you have to think about it. if your hair has splits and the splits keep going up the strand, it eventually breaks off.and then over time , you hair starts to look thinner and shorter. by the time you realize how bad the splits are, you have to cut a big chunk of hair off (true story). its better to get those warped ends as soon as you see them . its called 'dusting' . set a schedule for your hair and when its time for hair maintenance, take a tiny bit of those dead ends off before they become splits. i get split ends very easily and i hate having a stylist trim my hair, cause they always end up cutting too much. i am looking into getting my own good pair of shears and start self trimming . so start self trimming and dusting and over time, you will start to see your hair progress. dont let any stylist do it for you , learn how to snip those ends yourself and you will see all your hard work.

*any suggestions on a good affordable pair of trimming scissors??

Trims help if your ends are damaged or you want to improve the shape of it but whatever the case, whatever you do, trim it yourself or get someone you trust to do it for you and let them know how much you want trimmed. My stylist doesn't trim my hair anymore, my mum does or I do it myself. Don't BC either, trim in bits, it's better on the psyche.

i feel ur pain. i'm horrified of trims. i havent had one in 7 months, and that trim i did myself and it came out uneven :lachen:
i was thinking of getting a professional one tomorrow but i'm freaking out about it already. B/c my hair has remained the same length FOREVER, that 'it will grow back' line doesnt really do it for me anymore :nono:. - sorry to be the pessimistic one here. All the advice the ladies have given so far in this post are very good. I'm sure ur hair looks great even though u lost some length. Keep us informed of how you decide to handle trims in the future. as you can see by my side headline - i'm very confused about whether i should or should not trim:spinning:

Aww i'm sorry for you don't be discouraged lady it will groww back but don't allow "friends" to tell U what to do about your hair, for example I'm growing my hair like you can see in my siggy and I will not trim until WL the I will cut back to Mid back and stay at this lenght in order to thicken up my hair then grow again to WL and do the same: that is my suggestion!

i feel ur pain. i'm horrified of trims. i havent had one in 7 months, and that trim i did myself and it came out uneven :lachen:
i was thinking of getting a professional one tomorrow but i'm freaking out about it already. B/c my hair has remained the same length FOREVER, that 'it will grow back' line doesnt really do it for me anymore :nono:. - sorry to be the pessimistic one here. All the advice the ladies have given so far in this post are very good. I'm sure ur hair looks great even though u lost some length. Keep us informed of how you decide to handle trims in the future. as you can see by my side headline - i'm very confused about whether i should or should not trim:spinning:
Girl run from a professional! I haven't had a professional trim in years and girl HACKED!!!!!!!!! my hair, gave me all these layers and I was a little past APL! Needless to say my hair is braided now. I mean it looks nice straight, but when i wash it (natural) I feel like fighting. I have officially appointed my mom as my trimmer. NO STYLIST IS EVER COMING CLOSE TO ME WITH SCISSORS AGAIN!:nono:

I think that trimming really does help, just don't over do it. The key is finding someone who truly understands what a trim is as opposed to a hair cut. It sucks, but keep your head up...don't cry. maybe you can dust your own ends periodically to avoid having to get a "trim"

Thank you so much ladies:rolleyes: I feel a lot better. I am happy that I joined this site. the thing is though my hair isn't even, and I had to argue with the person because this said they don't know why my hair in the back is co short "you cut it start, fool" But anyway I wont put no more negative energy into that. But anyways thanks again.:yep:

Yeah it's worth it. In high school I refused to trim my hair and it never grew. Most times not trimming damaged hair does way more harm than good.

Awww, your hair will look healthier in the long run. I believe in trims... I just recently trimmed 2". I went 5 months without a trim, and even though I do not use direct heat, my ends still suffered. If you take a look at my profile pic, you can see the difference in what my hair looked like in my avatar and what it looked like 4 months later in my profile. I had gained the length, but my ends weren't as full as I like, so I cut and am back at square one. It doesn't really bother me though because I like my current length. Just keep up your routine and you will eventually see results. I know its hard to let go of what you've worked so hard for, but it's hair... and it will grow. Just keep up your routine. HHG.

there is something about perfessionals and your hair. it is like they are programmed to misunderstand trim.. and just whack inches off telling you how they got to cut above the split...yah right. once they knock off more than an inch it is a cut Cha-ching$$$

well i think most of us have been where you are now... on my last whack job i was tired and just closed my eyes and left my hair in this woman's hands only to open my eyes to a twa. from having hair past my shoulders. i looked in the mirror shocked, and then she said. oh i better stop before you get mad at me.. but i smiled and said. it will grow back.

i paid too. but i never went back.... i trim my own hair now.

there is something about perfessionals and your hair. it is like they are programmed to misunderstand trim.. and just whack inches off telling you how they got to cut above the split...yah right. once they knock off more than an inch it is a cut Cha-ching$$$

well i think most of us have been where you are now... on my last whack job i was tired and just closed my eyes and left my hair in this woman's hands only to open my eyes to a twa. from having hair past my shoulders. i looked in the mirror shocked, and then she said. oh i better stop before you get mad at me.. but i smiled and said. it will grow back.

me and her would have to fight

are u serious?! i would've cussed that ***** out, then i wouldve cried. then i would've cussed her out again, threatened bodily harm and left w.o paying.

I guess that one good thing with hair you are able to learn from your mistake hopefully with out to much damage. My hair will grow back but she will never touch my hair again. I am going to take some of your advise by learning how to trim my own hair or asking my mom to do it.

I think it depends. Before I relaxed my hair, I was natural for seven years without ever trimming. I had a couple of split ends also. My hair still thrived, grew like crazy and was in its healthiest state. I absolutely will not trim unless it is absolutely necessary. Never be peer pressured into anything regaring your hair, even if it is from your stylist. You have to be content with the decision.

Personally, I think we would all be better off if LHCF had salons using our own techniques, etc. (wishful thinking, I suppose)

Back