Does scratching while in cornrows cause breakage?

PersuasiveBeauty

During the winter time it seems that my scalp is dryer, so I have to step my moisture up. Although sometimes I cannot help but scratch! Some times I even take the end of a bobby pin and go in between my cornrows and scratch. I'm really scared...When I take down my cornrows am I going to have massive breakage from doing this?

As long as you are not obnoxiously scratching your scalp/braids you should be ok.

Have you tried patting the itch instead?

How do you care for you hair with the braids? Maybe rinsing/washing may cure the itch.

The problem is I think I may scratch obnoxiously while sleeping? And at times during the day it gets pretty obnoxious? I've never really paid attention to my scratching habits before my hair journey to even think twice about it.. and I don't think I had any breakage from it..But I really wasn't paying attention back then to be honest.

I do the pat, but sometimes it is just NOT ENOUGH!

I cowash once a week.

Thank you for responding! I appreciate it.

Yes, this will cause breakage. Are you wearing a scarf or satin cap? Scratching over the scarf might result in less breakage and will result in less damage to your scalp. You not only want to be good to the hair on your head but the skin too.

For me, rising in water and Jane Carter Solution Scalp Serum is a must when I am braided up.

You may not be rinsing well enough if you are co-washing once a week: try using ORS Herbal Cleanse in between your cornrows, used like the witch hazel method.

Also, so people say tea tree oil in the braid spray helps. Don't forget you might be using too much braid spray, too much build up or not enough, too dry.

Also, if you are using synthetic hair, you might be having an allergic reaction. Either switch brands or some people suggest cleaning the hair with vinegar to remove a "coating" and rinsing thoroughly. Real hair or a blend is an alternative, also.

ETA: clean the hair with vinegar (to remove the alkaline base that is supposedly on synthetic hair) before braiding it in :drunk:. See the crown and glory method on growafrohairlong.com

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I know WhoIsSugar on yt created a bald spot in her hair from scratching a certain spot in her cornrows excessively. D=

Last video I saw she was on a mission to grow it back.

Back