Does Pin Curling Damage Hair

as long as the bobby pins that you are using are smooth and in good shape, you are not going to cause damage to your hair by setting it in pincurls

I don’t think so, but every time I pin curl and sleep in the pin curls it turns into a mess :(
I don’t understand what I am doing wrong. I roll the hair and lay the pin flat like I have seen other ladies do and I have tried it with nothing on the hair; leave in conditioner, serum nothing works. When I do it after a wash and don’t sleep on them it turns out good. Guess I am just too rough of a sleeper to do pin curls at night.

No.....not for me. If they are done with care with bobby pins with no jagged edges, it's a wonderful healthy curling option. I do it sll the time.

I think of all the curling options - pin curls might be the one least likely to cause damage. :perplexed

ETA: for the style you posted, I think you could acheive it with pincurls, but it's best to go online and do a search for vintage hairstyle tutorials (they have whole sites dedicated to it)

I don’t think so, but every time I pin curl and sleep in the pin curls it turns into a mess :(
I don’t understand what I am doing wrong. I roll the hair and lay the pin flat like I have seen other ladies do and I have tried it with nothing on the hair; leave in conditioner, serum nothing works. When I do it after a wash and don’t sleep on them it turns out good. Guess I am just too rough of a sleeper to do pin curls at night.

Are you tying your hair down at night? I sleep in mine all the time by tying my hair down with a satin scarf.

Nope, not in the least, been doing it for yrs with no adverse effects.

I dont use bobby pins though, to me that would leave too much of a dent be too tight and ruin the look when I pin curl my hair up at night I use the rollersetting slip in clips and duckbill clips:yep: I'm left with gorgeous bouncy curls that last all day:gorgeous:

So when you guys pin curl, what look are you going for? Are you going for a 1940's Hollywood Glam Look (like the photo I showed) or are you just going for soft waves?

My avi is pin curls and all I did was 4 of them. I use the rollersetting clips and tie with a silk scarf at night. I do this every night.

So where do you buy pin curls from? Or do you just need bobby pins to do it?

And is it easy to do? Feel free to detail how you pin curl your hair :)

I do it at night because I like my hair to have loose curls in the front when its straightened, there is a way to do it, I shot a tutorial on how I do it but its gonna be a bit before I post my tutorials because I had to switch computers:ohwell:

I have been pin curling regularly for years whenever I want to preserve my rollersets or if I am just tired of my hair being straight and lifeless. Its a simple and effective alternative for instant curls.

Hooowever, I personally have noticed a tremendous amount of shedding and breakage when I pincurl for more than one night. My hair is lacking something (either moisture or protein, im still trying to get to the exact source of my issue) so it responds weird to any type of curly style. My hair looks beautiful, but not when it floods my bathroom floor :sad:

That is only my personal situation.

I have been pin curling regularly for years whenever I want to preserve my rollersets or if I am just tired of my hair being straight and lifeless. Its a simple and effective alternative for instant curls.

Hooowever, I personally have noticed a tremendous amount of shedding and breakage when I pincurl for more than one night. My hair is lacking something (either moisture or protein, im still trying to get to the exact source of my issue) so it responds weird to any type of curly style. My hair looks beautiful, but not when it floods my bathroom floor :sad:

That is only my personal situation.

My hair used to do that too. But I started putting castor oil on my hair and ends before I pin curled.

My hair used to do that too. But I started putting castor oil on my hair and ends before I pin curled.

Hmm... really? And you noticed a considerable difference in the shedding? Because I get HANDFULS of hair. I am also curious to know if the castor oil weighed down your hair at all.

Hmm... really? And you noticed a considerable difference in the shedding? Because I get HANDFULS of hair. I am also curious to know if the castor oil weighed down your hair at all.

I am wondering this too...I pin curled for the first time last night, just to be able to sleep...without rollers. Looks good for now, but what about after a couple of days?

I dont think that doing pin curls are damaging. You dont even have to use bobby pins. You can just use those double prong clips for roller sets. If you are adamant about using the bobby pins then just make an x with the pins to hold it down. Also make sure that you are doing it right to get the style you are looking for. You can either do it on dry hair and mist a little bit of diluted setting lotion and pin or you can do it on damp hair with setting lotion then pin. You also have to do the right set for the style. Some require the use of sponge rollers to achieve the style. There are many description of sets on the web. The most important aspect of doing pin curl sets is the brush out. You have to brush it out right or you will wind up with big frizzy mess. If you are serious about doing retro styles like the one on the link then purchase Vintage Hairstyling: Retro Styles with Step by Step Techniques by Lauren Rennells. Its awsome. The directions are clear and you should have no problem recreating styles.

Here are some useful links
http://vintagememoirs.com/hair.html (scroll to the bottom of the page)
-You will probably like the Glamourous Casual

http://thefedoralounge.com/
-the site will answer most of you questions

Back