Does Henna lift color or apply color?

yodie

Hi ladies,

Just did my first henna treatment yesterday. I like the reddish-brown color, but my hair felt a little rough. Is this normal?

My question is... does henna apply color to your hair OR does it lift the color from your hair to get that reddish-brown color?

Seems like more strands than normal came out after I henna'd.
Anyone have this experience? I noticed more strands came out today.
Is my hair just dry?

Appreciate your advice.

As far as I know, it applies color (like staining the hair). It doesnt lift it. So if you dye ure hair a jet black, and try to Henna over it, the most you can expect to get is the look of a reddish rinse, in the sunlight. Someone correct me if Im wrong.........?

And yes, Henna is VERY drying, which is why it's important to step up ure moisturizing game after u do the Henna. Seriously!!!! Because i was not doing this when i frst started to Henna, and i ended up getting a good amount of breakage. Then i realized what i needed to do, and now i know longer get that kind of breakage.

KiniKakes said:
As far as I know, it applies color (like staining the hair). It doesnt lift it. So if you dye ure hair a jet black, and try to Henna over it, the most you can expect to get is the look of a reddish rinse, in the sunlight. Someone correct me if Im wrong.........?

And yes, Henna is VERY drying, which is why it's important to step up ure moisturizing game after u do the Henna. Seriously!!!! Because i was not doing this when i frst started to Henna, and i ended up getting a good amount of breakage. Then i realized what i needed to do, and now i know longer get that kind of breakage.

What did you do/use to moisturize? I can't afford to have breakage.
Will moisturizing my hair everyday while sitting under the dryer for the next two weeks be too much?

Back