Does anyone have a system for flatironing?

caligirl

I'm planning to flat iron my hair and I need a game plan because I have a thick head of hair. I'm going to blow dry it first with my denman d3 brush, then hit it with my FHI ceramic iron. How do you actually divide your hair to flat iron? Do you divide it into sections? Do you start at the nape and go layer by layer?

i get the best results when i separate with a rat tail comb into VERY SMALL sections. very, very small sections. not taking too much hair into the flat iron. i have thick hair too, so you have to be careful. it's going to take a while. but you'll get great results. some people spray or smoothe on a heat protectant before they flat iron - that's not a bad idea. so just use small sections, not too much hair clamped into the iron and you're good to go. i usually start in the very back of my head. but that's easiest for me. going from back to front. i know most people work from the front to back though. i also start with the bottom of my head - near the kitchen and work my way up. that's just what's worked for me the few times i've done it on my own. truth be told, though, i usually get it done at a salon. its just too much hair for me to work thru and my shoulders get tired. hope it turns out well.

I got a system too. I wash & condition w/Redkin smoothdown line (got all those lovely cones in them). Then I use got2b creme straightener plus a little conditioner as a leave in, detangle, braid and airdry. The next day I use Redken heatglide and a little shea butter and use my Maxiglide section by section(I start at the nape too). I've done this a couple of times and so far it works well for me.

I start at the front right, part it vertically, pin the rest of the hair back, and then part the "part"' horizontally in thin sections (les that 1/8 th inch)..1/2 squirt of BTZ thermal protectant...takes me about 1.5 hours...but I get it all done.......see the fotki for results

I don't have thick hair, but here's what I do....

Wash and condition with Keracare Detangling Poo & Humecto.

Towel Blot hair.

While Damp: Detangle using a combination of Salerm 21 & Potion 9 as leave ins.

Put a little oil in my hair and PM Super Skinny Serum.

Part hair in 4 sections with clamps and airdry.

Apply a little Super Skinny to each section as I take down, (sometimes I use Frederic Fekkai glossing cream also :) ) for heat protection.

Since the hair was previously detangled I can then use a small tooth comb and comb through each small section I'm about to flat iron.

1, maybe 2 swipes max. Working from back to front.

A little Mizani Shyne when finished or FF glossing cream.

Voila! Shiny, straight, bouncy hair.
1 hr start to finish (dry hair of course)

Hope this helps!

I wash and condition, then add my products.

Then I either part, detangle and wrap tissue paper around my head to hold it down and sit under the hair dryer, or...

I let it airdry for a bit and then run the blow dryer through it. I prefer the first method, and only use the blow dryer when I'm in a hurry.

Then, I start from my nape and move forward taking very small sections.

I divide my hair into three sections. One on each side and one section in back. I start at the very nape of my hair in back first and slowly, gradually flat-iron small sections from the bottom (nape) all the way to the top of my crown (from back). Then, I do sides from bottom up. Make sure you have good, sturdy, clips, at least three to keep your hair out of the way of the section you are working on. I use Silk Therapy on each section that I flat iron (a very TINY bit).

Back