Does anyone go to the salon for rollersets only?

locabouthair

and relax their hair themselves?

I cant find a stylist that will relax my hair properly so I will try self relaxing again. (pray for me ya'll) I just noticed some hair loss and I believe it's due to the relaxer not beign washed out properly. Anyway, I dont like the way my rollersets come out. I go to the dominicans for wash and sets but I dont like them relaxing my hair.

I know this may seem kinda backwards, cuz I see a lot of people doing the opposite, only going to the salon for relaxers and washing their hair at home.

Since I dont like my rollersets, I have no idea how I will style my hair after I relax it. :look: I dont want to use heat either.

Anyway, does anyone do this? :look:

Last edited:
When I was relaxed I went to this beauty school and would have them wash and roller set me. But you just gave me the idea to go to a natural salon and ask them to roller set me. Why didn't I think of that before??? I wonder will they do it? They should, they're getting paid! Hmmmm.......

Yup. I can't rollerset right. I've watched countless videos and tutorials too.So I go to a salon that does it perfectly. As a matter of fact that's their specialty.

i used to, and my hair was so healthy then. when i was relaxing, i was really only texlaxing, i would basically put the relaxer in and rinse it out immediately so it usually stayed in for about 3 minutes or so and i thought that paying a beautician $65 to do that was way too much. so i would just go for bi weekly roller sets. i still want to go for biweekly rollersets caues it takes me an hour to just get the rollers in and they dont look great when im done. i just cant find a cheaper beautician that can do rollersets well.

my coworker does it also.

I do! But I go to my local beauty school to do it. From a practical standpoint since it only cost $10 I can afford to go once a week every month for the price of one trip to the salon, typically I am done in 1 1/2 hours, and I can go when I get ready opposed to trying to keep and appointment. The flipside is you need to be patient with the student so they can get it done correctly, give them a little guidence in how you want your hair set, and let them know what type of product to use on your hair (the one I go to has mizani products availible). I don't let them cut or put chemical on my hair but . I usually if you find a student who does well you can request that student each time you go!

i used to, and my hair was so healthy then. when i was relaxing, i was really only texlaxing, i would basically put the relaxer in and rinse it out immediately so it usually stayed in for about 3 minutes or so and i thought that paying a beautician $65 to do that was way too much. so i would just go for bi weekly roller sets. i still want to go for biweekly rollersets caues it takes me an hour to just get the rollers in and they dont look great when im done. i just cant find a cheaper beautician that can do rollersets well.

my coworker does it also.

so you're natural now?

Yup. I can't rollerset right. I've watched countless videos and tutorials too.So I go to a salon that does it perfectly. As a matter of fact that's their specialty.

so you relax it yourself?

When I was relaxed I went to this beauty school and would have them wash and roller set me. But you just gave me the idea to go to a natural salon and ask them to roller set me. Why didn't I think of that before??? I wonder will they do it? They should, they're getting paid! Hmmmm.......

yeah they should. I remember when I was natural and I went to a salon that claimed they did natural hair and they wouldn't do my hair, guess it was because of the texture.

I do whenever I stay in Brooklyn and go to the Dominicans...I can't do a rollerset for nothin :nono:

no im not natural. well not all natural. about 15 months ago, i just stopped giving myself relaxers so I guess im transitioning. So almost 6 inches is natural and the rest is texlaxed.

Yes I go to a lil hispanic lady that does my wet sets. She is the bomb and hella cheap she charges me like $20. Here are some pics of the wet sets.

6.jpg

me11.jpg

so you're natural now?

so you relax it yourself?

yeah they should. I remember when I was natural and I went to a salon that claimed they did natural hair and they wouldn't do my hair, guess it was because of the texture.

Hmmm, I'm 4a/b, considered the "hardest to deal with" hair. I wonder would I be turned away too? Maybe if I go to a salon that does natural hair only and not just a salon that does natural hair also. I need to do some research...

Hmmm, I'm 4a/b, considered the "hardest to deal with" hair. I wonder would I be turned away too? Maybe if I go to a salon that does natural hair only and not just a salon that does natural hair also. I need to do some research...

My texture is a lot kinkier than yours. I call myself 4z because if there were such a thing, I'd really be a 4z hair type. Good luck. It might take some time but I'm sure you'll find someone.

very pretty! I usually only pay around $20 too. I wish I could do it myself though, even though it's cheap it does add up and I'd like to save money, maybe one say I'll get it right:rolleyes:

thanks for the compliment. $20 does add up however........when she does my hair I have her use the small rollers and use hard setting lotion. My hair will last 3 weeks if I want it to. Everyday I will pull the curls out more and more. I usually don't leave it in more than 2weeks because I like to keep my hair clean and deep condition. But $20 every 2-3weeks isn't bad if you want to go that regularly.

thanks for the compliment. $20 does add up however........when she does my hair I have her use the small rollers and use hard setting lotion. My hair will last 3 weeks if I want it to. Everyday I will pull the curls out more and more. I usually don't leave it in more than 2weeks because I like to keep my hair clean and deep condition. But $20 every 2-3weeks isn't bad if you want to go that regularly.

yeah every 2 to 3 isnt bad at all. but i need to get my hair washed every week. my hair is damaged right now and it needs to be done regularly in order to look decent.

maybe when my hair gets longer I'll do braidouts and then alternate that with wash and sets.

I got my hair relaxed at the salon as well, but I used to go every other week just for a rollerset. Not because I couldn't do it myself, but because I just liked the way my hair looked and smelled better when I had it done. Once my stylist raised her prices I stopped doing that though. :nono:

Back