Do you tip your stylist?

Do you tip your stylist?

• I tip at each visit, no matter what.

Votes: 112 60.9%
  • I tip only when my hair was done well.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I tip only when a lot of time and energy is put in.

Votes: 10 5.4%
  • I only tip when I have cash.

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • I never tip.

Votes: 18 9.8%
  • Other

Votes: 10 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nadz

This is a spinoff from the relaxer cost thread. I was wondering how many people tip and how often? I tip sometimes (most times). Sometimes I'm just too broke. Does it depend on the service, or do you feel like you have to, or do you not do it at all?

And for those of you LHCF ladies that are stylists, about what percentage of your customers tip you each visit?

--just curious.

I always tip, it's the right thing to do, I tip the lady that does my relaxer $5 my shampoo lady gets $2-3 bucks everytime, the woman that blow dries and curls my hair gets $2-3 if I'm stretching and it's more work $5

I usually tip the shampoo person, because the salons I have been to, they do most of the work like, relaxing, conditioning, setting..and my stylist will finish the styling.

I always tip, but 20% no way when my hairdo cost $100! They get paid like regular folks do not like servers and delivery drivers.

I tip usually at every visit. It depends on how much everything comes to. If I get a lot done and buy products and all that good stuff she doesnt get that big of a tip. Usually when I get a relaxer and dc I only tip $3-5 but when I get just a shampoo and dc I'll try to tip $5-10.

I dont tip my hair stylist but I guess your going to a different type of shop that I go to. My grandmother was a hairstylist/salon owner for over 30 years and I have never seen anybody type at her shop or any shop Ive been in. The same person that styles my hair, washes it and cuts it.

Should I tip a stylist if she works out of her house and I bring my own relaxer kit (phyto)? She charges me $55 for the touch up and the phyto relaxer costs $60. She does not give me a discount for bringing over my own relaxer kit either. The first time I did tip her but I did not the last time because she seemed rushed, did not apply the conditioner (even though it was in the box) and effed up my hair with a wack job of styling. Unfortunatley, I do not have anyone else to go to so I have to go back soon.

I usually tip $5 although that always stings esp. after paying $80 for a relaxer and styling. Last year I asked her to trim my ends and i ended up with a hair cut (from shoulder length to ear length) needless to say she did not get a tip that day.:mad:

I always tip my stylist. Usually $20 but sometimes less if I'm short that day. I make up for it the next visit though.

Anyone doing you a service should be tipped IMO. Adjust accordingly depending on the level of service.

When I used to frequent salons, I always tipped the stylist and the shampoo assistant, if applicable.

Yeah i tip every week, automatically. But I tend to tip for any services I get, in general (be it at the airport, hotel, etc). I guess thats from my five years of waitressing experience.... I just think its the right thing to do, you know? The only time I didnt tip at the salon was when this wench trimmed my hair hella unevenly. I was in tears... just seething with rage and hurt. I shouldnt have even paid.... but Im too much of a goody-two shoes to just stomp out indignantly, like I wanted to. :lol:

Im not as generous as some of you ladies tho. I split my tip two or three ways, since at the Dominican salon you dont usually have a "regular" stylist, but instead one person who washes your hair, another who sets you, and sometimes a third who blows you out. They get the same tip that one woman would get who does my hair (at an ordinary salon), but i split it up so they each get a few dollars. In the beginning i felt guilty about this, but then i realized that this is what most folks there do.... and it makes sense because they are sharing the work anyway.

I do throw in a few extra dollars if someone was EXTRA good.... but that is a rarity.

Shimmerwink said:
I usually tip $5 although that always stings esp. after paying $80 for a relaxer and styling. Last year I asked her to trim my ends and i ended up with a hair cut (from shoulder length to ear length) needless to say she did not get a tip that day.:mad:

Dang man.... that sucks. :(

I'm transitioning, so my hair is a job. I tip the shampoo lady 10 and the lady who blow dries my hair 10. So in the end I pay 60 for my blowout, but its worth it for me to walk out with my hair the way I want with no complaining.

Shimmerwink said:

PLEASE tell us you are not still going to this woman?:(

My grandmother has done hair all my life, so I watched how hard she would work at home. When I moved to DC and had to start paying to get my hair done I then start tiping the stylist for services, but I had to learn the hard way when I first relocated. I was sitting in salons ALL DAY LONG and I was not use to that! I became a little more selective to who I tipped. Now that I go to high end salons when I go to a salon I tip 10 – 20 %.

I am in college, I already get the college discount how am I going to afford the tip . They have to give me a discount so that I can afford the salon. I kinda feel bad that I cannot tip, but I think they understand, that is why the discount is set up for us.

I only tip when I've gone in without an appointment or when she's spent a lot of time and effort on my hair. Even then it's only 5 bucks; when I am paying 80 bucks for a retouch it's hard to fork out 15-20%. Based on how much they actually spend on the products, they bulk of what they're charging is labour, and I'll be damned!!!! :cool: I don't tip for braids or weaves tho.

:confused: i never tip:ohwell:
Why should I tip? :confused: I only tip in restaurants and taxi cabs and luggage people at the hotel. Does anyone know how much stylists make? The only reason I tip the above mentioned people is becuase I know how much money they actually make. I have a friend that tips all the time. Why do they need "tips"? when Im paying $35-65 a pop with each visit. Please educate me. I'm not trying to be funny.

lwill38 said:
:confused: i never tip:ohwell:
Why should I tip? :confused: I only tip in restaurants and taxi cabs and luggage people at the hotel. Does anyone know how much stylists make? The only reason I tip the above mentioned people is becuase I know how much money they actually make. I have a friend that tips all the time. Why do they need "tips"? when Im paying $35-65 a pop with each visit. Please educate me. I'm not trying to be funny.

I'm with you on that. When I used to go to a stylist I never tipped either. Paying $70 for a relaxer was enough for me. :ohwell:

maryj1584 said:
I am in college, I already get the college discount how am I going to afford the tip . They have to give me a discount so that I can afford the salon. I kinda feel bad that I cannot tip, but I think they understand, that is why the discount is set up for us.

I also got the college dicsount for my press and curls, but I was a faithful customer every 3 weeks for 4 years. And I used to refer my friends to my stylist (there's my tip.)

If the stylist is a booth renter, then they pay a portion of that money to that person. They pay for advertising, which isn't cheap. They have to pay their business taxes, which is really expensive. There are other expenses too. They don't just pocket all that money or at least some don't.

I tip everytime I get my hair done. I always tip stylist 10. and shampoo people 5. On relaxer day I tip colorist 10 and my stylist gets 10. Shampoo girl still gets her 5. Basically I always pay an extra 15 no matter what I am having done. I have been going to the same people for over 5 years so I have to b/c they give me 20 condishes for free if they are running behind and they always make sure I have coffee and cookies too. I like service and I am in and out in less then an hour!:grin:

Back