Do You Press Your Own Hair?

vtoodler

Do you press/flat iron your own hair, or do you go to the salon to do it?

Have you ever tried to press your hair? If so, how did it go?

I've done my own presses since I was a tween, :ohwell: and
I'm terrified of anything that goes on the stove, so I use electric and get results that are usually relaxer straight with low heat and the right technique.

The few times I went to the salon for a press/curl/flatiron, the look was better, and much more heat and product was used, so I ended up with pretty, fried, weighed down hair.

I haven't pressed my hair since the 9th grade. I had been using an electric comb but it didn't get my hair straight enough so one day I used the stove flat iron.....burned my bang right off to about an inch. Talk about embarrassing letting it grow out. I've been flat ironing my hair as of freshman year of college (senior now) with great results. Sorry if I have typos I'm on my phone.

I tried an electric pressing comb a couple of times but it didn't get my ends smooth. So now I use a flat iron. The results aren't as good as when I went to the salon for a press and curl ever two weeks back in the day, but that's because I use significantly less heat but my hair always reverts, unlike when I was younger. I think my results would be better if I cranked it up a bit (I don't use a blowdryer) and used less heat protectant, but I'm still too scared and it gets straight enough for my liking.

I've tried. I'm not very good at flat ironing my roots. I had a mishap with the pressing comb a few years ago. I normally ask my mom to flat iron or press my roots only. She just pressed my 11 weeks post roots this weekend. I hope to get better in the future. Hoping it will allow me to stretch longer.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Started to press my own hair for the last few months. I'm still experimenting with heat protectant and pressing cremes. The press I did for NYE was better - it was straight but not bone straight.

How did I do it? I followed PinkSkates YT vid as a guide on NYE:

Part 1: YouTube - Pressing My Hair Part 1
Part 2: YouTube - Pressmyhair2.wmv

I used a pressing comb and a pressing flat iron, Chi Silk Infusion on wet hair, blow dry using tension method and spray on AfriCare Silk Spray before flat ironing hair.

I haven't suffered any heat damage (or, whatever you wanna call it) either - the curls snapped right back.

Last edited:
I have been doing my own hair since I got my Cosmetology License back in 94. I am no longer licensed but I am still my best Client
LOL

I have been doing my own hair since I got my Cosmetology License back in 94. I am no longer licensed but I am still my best Client
LOL

:lachen:Lol

My hair is so incredibly thick, everyone seems to get frustrated when pressing it (even me sometimes). I need to learn a good technique because it seems no matter what I do my ends never get straight!
But I don't trust anyone else at the moment.

I do! I flat iron my own hair and I also used to press my own hair with an old school pressing comb and that pressing stove you plug into the wall. I'm much better off using a flat iron with a heat indicator.

It's all about technique.

Also for the straightest head, you need to detangle properly and blow dry on the lowest heat setting that will get your hair straight. THEN flat iron on the lowest heat setting that will get your hair smooth! I love my do it yourself hair!

Use heat protectant and a serum to flat iron. The maxiglide worked best for my 4a/b hair. But right now I'm using the Chi until I buy another maxiglide.

I flat iron my own hair. I only let a salon do it once back in 2007 and I felt like I did a better job than the salon. I use a CHI flat iron with Ultra Sheen Satin Creme Pres.

Back