Do you have a short torso?

Melissa-jane

Hi I was measuring my back the other day and realised thAt my torso is very short 12 inches from neck to waist! I am 5.6 so did not think this was the case. My bra strap is two inches from my waist. I think this is why peep think my hair grows fast as it does not have far to go before it hits apl. Does anyone else have a short torso? I have no waist really my hip is about 1.5 inches from my rib cage so any fashion tips will be great too.

I have a short torso in comparison to my legs, but since I'm 5'9 I'm still going to need more length than shorter girls to reach BSL.

I don't have a short torso but my girl does (really obvious) and she has LONG legs too.
That ****** reached WL in like 1-2 years LOL
She's relaxed.

You are not alone. Because of long/short torso and no neck syndrome plenty folks APL, BSL etc is different and has varied results. One person could be bsl w/17 inches of hair while it would take me 22 inches because I have a longer neck etc.

I have a short torso in comparison to the rest of my body, but im still 5'8 so 12 inches is like a little past APL on me, I need about 14 inches for BSL. I dont really notice too much until im sitting next to the 5'2 girl who is taller than me when were seated lol. Matter of fact i was reading Mane and Chic's blog and saw her torso must be pretty short as well because the numbers on tape measure approaching waist length are like mine getting to apl. Maybe its petty but i somehow felt better :grin:

Last edited:
I don't have a short torso but my girl does (really obvious) and she has LONG legs too.
That ****** reached WL in like 1-2 years LOL
She's relaxed.

I measured my hair from my hair line and it's 18 inches. I only have eight inches left to go to wl yes so I woul be there by next year! I usually chop at this point as I do not like the length I am now so now I see that there is not long to go.

I have a short torso in comparison to the rest of my body, but im still 5'8 so 12 inches is like a little past APL on me, I need about 14 inches for BSL. I dont really notice too much until im sitting next to the 5'2 girl who is taller than me when were seated lol. Matter of fact i was reading Mane and Chic's blog and saw her torso must be pretty short as well because the numbers on tape measure approaching waist length are like mine getting to apl. Maybe its petty but i somehow felt better :grin:

However you will look good with really long hair. When I wear a weave past waist length I look really funny , makes my torso look even shorter.

Shortie here. I'm 5 ft 3 in & from neck to waist is 15 inches. This is the only benefit to being short so I don't feel like it's easier for shorties. Shorties can't gain 5 lbs without it looking like they gain 50 and don't get me started on preggo shorties. Tall women look so elegant preggers. While shorties well u get the point. I say let us have our one benefit. Lol! And u won't see me on a preggo forum complaining about tall women not looking preggers right away either. I Don't have time to compare. I'll just enjoy what God has blessed me with!

I have a short torso. I am 5'3.5'' ( the .5 is very important) but I appear taller because I have very long leggs.

So its about 12 inches from my neck to my waist. I also noticed that APL and BSB are about the same for me and the area where my bra falls is MBL.

Yea 12-14 inch weave hair is WL on me lol.

But I can also say that this hair journey has not been a cake walk for me. That shortened distance hasnt seemed to help much lol.

Shortie here. I'm 5 ft 3 in & from neck to waist is 15 inches. This is the only benefit to being short so I don't feel like it's easier for shorties. Shorties can't gain 5 lbs without it looking like they gain 50 and don't get me started on preggo shorties. Tall women look so elegant preggers. While shorties well u get the point. I say let us have our one benefit. Lol! And u won't see me on a preggo forum complaining about tall women not looking preggers right away either. I Don't have time to compare. I'll just enjoy what God has blessed me with!

:lachen::lol::lachen:OMG story of my life! every 5lb is noticable!!! and dont let me drop 5-10lb every1 wants to start feeding me again :rolleyes: I can win for loosing.

You are so not alone. I am 5'1 and I have a super short torso. My legs are very long compared to the rest of my body.

im pretty sure i have a short torso, my bra strap and waist line are very close in "distance":look: Once i reach BSL i will have maybe 3in till WL:grin:

This thread prompted me to measure. I'm 5'2 and bsl is abt 11-12 inches from neck hairline-ish area. I didn't want to measure right at the hairline b/c hair doesn't even grow that long there. my waist is 15-16 in. I thought it would be a longer distance. It sure feels like it.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Last edited:

Oh man all my babies showed at about three months, people thought I was having twins. Then I had to have a hernia op to repair damage. My hip went.... My hubby had the snip as after three he cannot bare to see me suffer again.

I have a short torso. I am 5'3.5'' ( the .5 is very important) but I appear taller because I have very long leggs.

So its about 12 inches from my neck to my waist. I also noticed that APL and BSB are about the same for me and the area where my bra falls is MBL.

Yea 12-14 inch weave hair is WL on me lol.

But I can also say that this hair journey has not been a cake walk for me. That shortened distance hasnt seemed to help much lol.

I am bunning now I know it will not take five years x I am a chop addict so i have never been waist length

This thread prompted me to measure. I'm 5'2 and bsl is abt 11-12 inches from neck hairline-ish area. I didn't want to measure right at the hairline b/c hair doesn't even grow that long there. my waist is 15-16 in. I thought it would be a longer distance. It sure feels like it.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Measuring from the hair line is the standard way to measure hair. I have been on my journey since 2003 and did not know this I just did apl and wl.

Middle back length does not exist on me.

Lol! Y'all got me cracking up over here!

I just measured from nape to crack and it's 20 inches! As of today I am 10 inches from my nape so I'm halfway to cracken length.

Most black folks have short torsos and long legs. I have short torso, but only because I'm short. my legs are short too. lol

Considering a regular pair of jeans is too long for my legs, I'm going to venture out and say I have a long torso. "Tunics" end up looking like regular sized shirts on me too! I end up using dresses as long shirts sometimes. :lol:

I would measure but I lost the tape.

short torso checking in...I always hated having the odd short torso/long leg combination...but I guess this is one of the perks :)

I'm 5'5 my waist length is about 14 inches from my neck...

Umm - I thought I did, but now I'm not sure. I'm 5ft 1+1/2 BUT from the base of my neck to my waist is 13.5 inches. :perplexed It doesn't seem that short compared to some of you taller and obviously very leggy ladies.

The odd thing is, I have long legs for my height - I cannot wear trousers from the 5' 3" and under range as they always look like ankle mashers when I wear heels :lol:

Last edited:
I heard from a dressmaker once that bending your neck back to find where it creases or bending it forward to find the most prominent knob/verterbre is where one should star measuring to find out if your long or short torso.

Going by that I measured in at 14.5" ah and I'm 5'3. I do know I have low hips though.

im 5'1 with a short neck and long torso ,of course its still shorter than what a tall persons would be, but its long in comparison to my short stubby legs:lol:...

Im APL now , so I have a while before I get to WL

Question?, where would MBL be on me?

zlvyg7.jpg

:lachen:, me. dude. I'm 5'8 ... when i sit next to my cousin who is about 5'5 she's taller then me. So then i thought she just had an EXTREMELY long torso (which she does, it's ridiculous) so i test this out on someone else shorter then me ... then someone else ... then someone else ... and the results did not vary

... i have to just admit to myself that i have a midge upper body

Back