Do you feel protective styles aided in your hair growing longer and faster?

Lilmama1011

And do you continue to do the same protective style over and over? Because I get bored with my hair so fast, I just dyed my hair red and love it but I'm still mad at the fact I cant do different styles, it's always the same styles like wearing it out, hump and pony tail, or just a ponytail and I did the one where you keep your ends in the ponytail so basically like a bun, I am just so bored and my hair has some length but I don't say drastic differences And my hair is healthy except for I used the burts bees shampoo and it looked like it stripped the moisture away and when I was combing my hair out I got aggravated and ripped some hair out on the left side so now when I put a ponytail I have a little more flyways then usual :(

no... i do not feel protective styles aided in my hair growing longer and faster? why? because that's not what protective styles are for...
protective styles aided me in being able to keep most (i'm going to say 95-97%) of my hair on my head... which is what it's supposed to do...
w/blk women our problem is retaining length... we have issues w/breakage due to the fragility of our hair, mis-handling, over handling, too much heat, excess chemicals, dryness, etc...
so if you want longer hair you may want to buckle up and start treating your hair GENTLY, moisturizing & sealing those end and wearing it up... just try it for 3-6 mos and see what results you get...
also please deep condition too!

eta: this question was put in the wrong forum... have mods move it to the hair forum...

Jas123 said:
no... i do not feel protective styles aided in my hair growing longer and faster? why? because that's not what protective styles are for...
protective styles aided me in being able to keep most (i'm going to say 95-97%) of my hair on my head... which is what it's supposed to do...
w/blk women our problem is retaining length... we have issues w/breakage due to the fragility of our hair, mis-handling, over handling, too much heat, excess chemicals, dryness, etc...
so if you want longer hair you may want to buckle up and start treating your hair GENTLY, moisturizing & sealing those end and wearing it up... just try it for 3-6 mos and see what results you get...
also please deep condition too!

eta: this question was put in the wrong forum... have mods move it to the hair forum...

So basically it only helps with thickness

i contribute my growth to my protective styles (sew in and quick weaves) and to my daily dose of 5k biotin. W/out the sew ins and quick weaves i'd flat iron every morning and relax every 4-6wks instead of every 10...

It definitely helps with retention.
If I wear my hair out or down, with my ends rubbing against my clothes, I'm bound to get breakage.
Keeping it up and MOISTURIZED helps me retain more than I ever would wearing it down. :yep:

Putting your hair in a bun is not going to make it grow any faster.

It will just protect your ends and length slightly more than leaving your hair out to face the elements/rub against your shirt etc...

Protective styling helped me with retention. My hair would grow either way, but my ends are healthier when I add protective styles into my life.

It has helped me with retention. I find, the more I leave my hair alone, the more it thrives. Very low manipulation is key to me retaining my length.

for me PSing is the #1 thing that is helping me retain length. :yep:
I don't mind having a boring regi for a few years as long as I get the results!

My hair appears to be growing faster because of the amazing retention.

Last edited:
Back