Do You Also Stop Traffic With Your Long Hair?

NuMe2004

Hi ladies,

This is just a fun observation that I've made and I wonder if you've noticed the same thing.

My hair is natural and I wear it curly most of the time. However, I do get it straightened every now and then and notice a DRAMATIC difference in how men view/treat me. For instance, I went to the shop about a month ago and walked in with my curly hair. As soon as I stepped out with my freshly flat-ironed locs, men of all races were staring/smiling at me.

One of the funniest things that happened was when I wore my hair down for the first time at work. My superviser, who is a white man, stared at me for so long and eventually told me, "You look really good today." I was rolling!

Anyway, I would LOVE to hear some of your stories about how you stopped traffic/turned heads with your long hair. BTW, I've also noticed that our long hair intimidates white women sometimes because they see that they ain't got nothin' on us. What are your thoughts/feelings/etc.???

Attachments

• natural_hair.jpg
    natural_hair.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 481
Anyway, I would LOVE to hear some of your stories about how you stopped traffic/turned heads with your long hair. BTW, I've also noticed that our long hair intimidates white women sometimes because they see that they ain't got nothin' on us. What are your thoughts/feelings/etc.???

Your fall into the "Extoic" Or Beautiful relm when you have long hair (only because its not common among blacks on a day to day basics) Many white woman feel threated because they need a boat load of make up on while most black woman dont need 3 pounds of make up to look pretty. We are naturaly pretty (of course you have whites that are to) but gernaly black woman have a tendcy to look better then white woman without makeup in my oppionin of course.

I've woren a weave down my back and many men have stopped and started! But i also get looks from my Afro, mostly trying check if i have "good hurrr". I like big layered hair or curly/wavey hair ive never been much of a fan of flat straight hair. I'm not sure why its just not my thing, but i have gotten and turned heads with my straigth weaves.

Yep, this happens everytime I walk out of the salon. The street becomes my runway and everybody is looking..lol. :D I remember checking myself in the mirror in my truck and I look to the side of me and this guy on the street is giving me a thumbs up sign...too funny. And you can see the length of my hair in my avatar. It's not that long. Honey, I can't even imagine the response I'll get when I'm pass APL. ;) Cute thread.

LOL..This is funny. I have not stopped traffic that I know of. But when I go through the drive thru window at the fast food joint, I get whole lot of folks coming up to the window to take a peak before I finally get my order. I hear the whispers from the ladies and the men young and old always compliment my premature gray. :D
I don't consider my hair that long not yet....

RZ~

NuMe2004 said:
Are you kidding? By the looks of your Avatar, your hair is VERY long honey!

I guess I am hair anorexic. When it reaches Waist lenght then I will say, "that's some long hair" I have a ways to go for that.

RZ~

RZILYNT said:
I don't consider my hair that long not yet....

RZ~

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I'm mad at you for saying that!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: But in truth, these things are relative. Your hair is long to me!

I get looks when I wear my hair down but I always think their thinking "is that her hair" and I always run my hands through my hair to get it off my face:lol: .

Ok this is a fun thread, I have two different times when I get the OMG look at her hair looks:

1) When I have my big curly weave in, I wear big indian curly hair very discreetly and I think I fool just about everyone into thinking it's my hair. I'm dark brown skin so most people are like where'd you get that big curly hair! (I usually just smile instead of saying "India"...:look: )

2) Just recently when I've started wearing my real hair out of weaves. Its growing well and it's healthy now so men love it. But if one more brother does (what he thinks) is a discreet weave check by rubbing down on my hair really hard it's gonna be a problem!

I usually hate getting cat called but I must admit I didnt mind when a man hollered out of his car window "Where you get all that 'purty hur' from ggiirrrlll [sic])....lol

NuMe2004 said:
Hi ladies,

This is just a fun observation that I've made and I wonder if you've noticed the same thing.

My hair is natural and I wear it curly most of the time. However, I do get it straightened every now and then and notice a DRAMATIC difference in how men view/treat me. For instance, I went to the shop about a month ago and walked in with my curly hair. As soon as I stepped out with my freshly flat-ironed locs, men of all races were staring/smiling at me.

One of the funniest things that happened was when I wore my hair down for the first time at work. My superviser, who is a white man, stared at me for so long and eventually told me, "You look really good today." I was rolling!

Hee hee!:D

I admit I do love the reaction when I wear my hair down. I normally wear a bun so it's pretty dramatic when I show up with my hair loose. Even more so when it's flat ironed and showing the real length.

The last time I wore my hair down at the shop the installers kept doing these double takes each time I walked into the back. It was hysterical, because I could tell John really wanted to say something about my hair, but I think he's a bit afraid of me.:lol:

DH told me that after I left John told him I was all hair and boobs.:lachen:

Men of all races stare and approach me more often when I wear my hair down, curly or straight.

Hidden_Angel said:

ITA with the bolded part. So true on so many levels...I have a supervisor (White) who is always staring at my hair. She won't say anything to me because she can't stand me (the feeling is mutual:lol: ) but I catch her on a daily basis staring at my hair especially when I flat iron it and style it. My co-worker told me the other day that she couldn't believe a black woman could have so much hair with "weavation"...whatever.:lol:

LawyerBarbie07 said:
I usually hate getting cat called but I must admit I didnt mind when a man hollered out of his car window "Where you get all that 'purty hur' from ggiirrrlll [sic])....lol

That's funny! BTW, thanks to the ladies who think this is a fun thread. I think so too :).

Tee hee hee... I went out to lunch with a white friend earlier in the week. I had flatironed my hair. When I got into her car, she stared at my hair with wide eyes. I think she thought I snuck a weave in because she proceeded to run her fingers through it. Then she exclaimed, "It's so soft! Do you condition like crazy or something?" I didn't have the heart or the energy to tell her that "conditioning like crazy" would be an understatement.:)

i noticed that white people react more when my hair is curly. they really trip over it and cant believe how soft it is. that just amazes them:) .
black people in general tend to react more to my str8 hair than curly. it seems, the more bone str8 the better:confused: . thats in my experience over the span of my life:D

I like this thread as well :) ...people at work stare ALL of the time,asking for my regimen:D ...and my hair isnt even APL yet...my SO thought I put in a weave the last time I wore it down:lol: ...I must be doing something right:grin: ...Ive been stretching for 12wks now,I cant wait to see how much growth I've obtained...they are gonna be hatin' me at work, once I start flipping it over my shoulder:p

A few years ago, I was waiting on a bus stop and an elderly, black gentleman comes up and tells me with complete earnesty, "Please don't ever cut your hair, sister". I was completely shocked and it made me smile from ear to ear. My hair was a little shorter than it is now and I was wearing two loose pigtails.

Another time while I was walking downtown, a woman came up to me and my friend and PULLED my hair and said that her relative wanted a weave the same length as my hair! My hair was the same length as it is now, but I didn't quite get the same fuzzy feeling inside after this incident :mad:.

Cool thread! I can't wait until my hair actually STOPS TRAFFIC :lol:!

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:
NuMe2004 said:
Hi ladies,

Yes, and I have been dying for somebody to say this since joining this forum. I just was too chicken since I haven't posted that much. I have been in braids for such a long time because I got tired of people being up in my face all the time. Let me first explain. I grew up with long hair. When I was in the military I got a military hair cut and wore it texturized. It was absolutely gorgeous but the only "attention" that I got was from my co-workers. I had to work for my attention. I grew my hair out under weave (in the early 90's) and when I took it out and wore it straight so many non-African American men were all up on me. I kind of threw me off because I was like. So now you like me. Whatz wrong with a sista with short hair? I have been in braids ever since. It is going to be really hard taking them out. I have not had my hair out for a long time.

Hidden_Angel said:

Your fall into the "Extoic" Or Beautiful relm when you have long hair (only because its not common among blacks on a day to day basics) Many white woman feel threated because they need a boat load of make up on while most black woman dont need 3 pounds of make up to look pretty. We are naturaly pretty (of course you have whites that are to) but gernaly black woman have a tendcy to look better then white woman without makeup in my oppionin of course.

I've woren a weave down my back and many men have stopped and started! But i also get looks from my Afro, mostly trying check if i have "good hurrr". I like big layered hair or curly/wavey hair ive never been much of a fan of flat straight hair. I'm not sure why its just not my thing, but i have gotten and turned heads with my straigth weaves.

That is so true. Specifically, the women who try to put black women down (around black men), and then tries to seduce them. That truely gets on my nerves. I moved here to Tennessee. These women are all up in these men's faces. I am like, I don't even care because if he so even glances at you b4 he looks at a sista that he needs to step anyways and that is for men of all races. Most men are more attractive to minority women than they are of caucasian women. That is why they are all up in the tanning salon and just have to have a sista as a so-called friend....until she can "steal your man".

I have! I have!

I have stopped traffic when I wore my hair out big and curly. The wind was blowing through my hair and men could not stop staring. All types of men.

I even had a black man attempt to put his hand in my hair! WTF!

The best was when I was at the airport and there were these two Southern black men. First, he said to me you must work out. Are you an athlete? I was like "No" and then he said "Girl you have got some hair on you. You take me back to a time when black women had hair. I bet it is so long when you take it down. You got it going on girl".

I was very embarrassed. As I stood in the line I watched as all the white people began staring at my hair. I wanted to crawl up in a ball and hide.

I know my hair stops traffic but it is my body too. I cannot say it is just my hair. My hair is just the toping on this shortcake! I am a cute hottie, what can I say!

I wear my hair in a ponytail everyday and no one pays me any mind. As soon I wear it down, I get so many compliments from men and women. My DH wants me to wear it down all the time.

i stop traffic with my hair natural or flat ironed... and it's not really all that long yet. but it is healthy, and it is different. my big fro catches your attention whether you like it or not. :look: and when i straighten, i have the best layers ever, my hair is thick and the bottom layer is SOOOOOOO close to APL. on this site that isn't much, i know... but to many IRL it is long or "getting long."

what i find funny is most people who've met me with my hair natural and then see it straight don't like it as much... they prefer the natural look. like that's how they identify me... LadyLibra = big coily fro. :lol:

in any case... i can't wait for my hair to get even bigger/longer, so i can cause real-life traffic jams... :woot:

I get lots of looks from the men, sometimes weird stares from the sisters.
One day one of the WW asked me was it real and two of the black ladies got her told really quickly that, "it has to be real because weave is not bouncy and silky like that." This was the first time a WW asked me was it real I thought the other black ladies were going to beat her down. :lol: Usually WW walk up and play with it.:ohwell:

Softressses

aurora3140 said:
A few years ago, I was waiting on a bus stop and an elderly, black gentleman comes up and tells me with completely earnesty, "Please don't ever cut your hair, sister". I was completely shocked and it made me smile from ear to ear. My hair was a little shorter than it is now and I was wearing two loose pigtails.

Another time while I was walking downtown, a woman came up to me and my friend and PULLED my hair and said that her relative wanted a weave the same length as my hair! My hair was the same length as it is now, but I didn't quite get the same fuzzy feeling inside after this incident :mad:.

Cool thread! I can't wait until my hair actually STOPS TRAFFIC :lol:!

This is just too cute. I love the bolded.

I was going into a pizza shop once, double parked, so I ran to the door and when I opened it the wind blew my hair up and it fell down all graceful like. These guys were sitting at a table by the window and I noticed they seemed to stop talking when I walked in. One of them said "Can you do that again?" I turned and said "What?". He said, "Walk through that door again so your hair blows" His boy did a swish-swoosh sound and made a motion with his hand going back and forth. I just smiled and laughed it off.

My hair wasn't long, it was about 2-3 inchs past shoulder but it was feathery and healthy.

When I was in H.S. it seemed like everyone was getting hair cuts, shaved in the back bob like hair cuts and Halle Berry cuts and my hair was always a little past the shoulder, always. Getting of the bus walking me home one day I told a guy friend that I was thinking about cutting my hair. He stopped in his tracks and said "WHAT!? You know how many girls want your hair!!" Then he yoked me up and said "Don't EVER cut your hair, hear me? Promise me!" I was like 'OK! I was just thinking about it!" Then he calmed down and we kept walking and talking like nothing happened. :lol:

camellia said:
Hee hee!:D

I admit I do love the reaction when I wear my hair down. I normally wear a bun so it's pretty dramatic when I show up with my hair loose. Even more so when it's flat ironed and showing the real length.

The last time I wore my hair down at the shop the installers kept doing these double takes each time I walked into the back. It was hysterical, because I could tell John really wanted to say something about my hair, but I think he's a bit afraid of me.:lol:

DH told me that after I left John told him I was all hair and boobs.:lachen:

Men of all races stare and approach me more often when I wear my hair down, curly or straight.

Yeah. Hubby saw your last siggy pictures and petty much said the same thing:lol:. It was good though. He's a boob man anyway..........

As for me, my hair is not 'long, imho. But when I flat iron and curl it, I get a lot of compliments. My hair is not even bsl yet. People love my BAA, too. I can't wait to stop traffic.

Last edited:
spiceykitten said:
I have! I have!

I have stopped traffic when I wore my hair out big and curly. The wind was blowing through my hair and men could not stop staring. All types of men.

I even had a black man attempt to put his hand in my hair! WTF!

The best was when I was at the airport and there were these two Southern black men. First, he said to me you must work out. Are you an athlete? I was like "No" and then he said "Girl you have got some hair on you. You take me back to a time when black women had hair. I bet it is so long when you take it down. You got it going on girl".

I was very embarrassed. As I stood in the line I watched as all the white people began staring at my hair. I wanted to crawl up in a ball and hide.

I know my hair stops traffic but it is my body too. I cannot say it is just my hair. My hair is just the toping on this shortcake! I am a cute hottie, what can I say!

Girl you sound like you've got it going on!! let us oogle you! show us your hair at least!!

It's funny because ladies keep saying that their hair isn't even long when we all know that the standard for "long hair" is very different in real life than on the forum--so all of you have long hair in real life :grin: .

SandySea said:
It's funny because ladies keep saying that their hair isn't even long when we all know that the standard for "long hair" is very different in real life than on the forum--so all of you have long hair in real life :grin: .

You know, my perspective has certainly changed since I started reading this board. But most of my life people have only told me they thought I had long hair even though it's never been APL or beyond, it's been past my shoulder but to me that's shoulder length. It's the same silouette, ya know? So you are right the real world does see it differently. But once you start seeing all these lovely midback ladies you start thinking, well dang, my hair ain't no where near long, this here's just average.:p

Back