DO CHEAP PRODUCTS COMPARE TO SALON PRODUCTS

TRYING2GROW

I HAVE BEEN HAVE PROBLEMS WITH DRY AND BREAKING HAIR. I WAS DOING A PROTEIN TREATMENT EVERY TWO WKS USING MOTIONS OR APHOGEE. THEY NEVER REALLY HELP. WELL, YESTERDAY I GOT A PROTEIN TREATMENT AT A BEAUTYSHOP. AND WOW!!!! I REALLY SEE THE DIFFERENCE. MY HAIR IS HOLDING MOISTURE BETTER AND I HARDLY SEE SHORT BROKEN HAIR. I WONDER IF I SHOULD GO TO THE SHOP TO GET TREATMENT, INSTEAD OF DOING THEM MYSELF. BECAUSE I WASN'T GETTING THE PROTEIN I NEED.

The ApHoEE Intensive keratin reconstuctor. I usually left it on for about 10 min. my hair was not hard when i rinsed it out.

TRYING2GROW said:
I HAVE BEEN HAVE PROBLEMS WITH DRY AND BREAKING HAIR. I WAS DOING A PROTEIN TREATMENT EVERY TWO WKS USING MOTIONS OR APHOGEE. THEY NEVER REALLY HELP. WELL, YESTERDAY I GOT A PROTEIN TREATMENT AT A BEAUTYSHOP. AND WOW!!!! I REALLY SEE THE DIFFERENCE. MY HAIR IS HOLDING MOISTURE BETTER AND I HARDLY SEE SHORT BROKEN HAIR. I WONDER IF I SHOULD GO TO THE SHOP TO GET TREATMENT, INSTEAD OF DOING THEM MYSELF. BECAUSE I WASN'T GETTING THE PROTEIN I NEED.

It sounds like you weren't doing a deep enough protein treatment. Treatments like Motions and Aphogee provide larger, superficial proteins that coat the cuticle with medium penetration. Basically, they wear off easily within a few washes. You have to do these more regularly and the results are not drastic. The heavier treatments have smaller, more deeply penetrating proteins and their effects are much more noticeable on the hair. They also last a great deal longer.

You might also want to check out the deep conditioner you are using at home. If your hair was dry, it might have been the combo of a strong protein treatment and a very good deep conditioning afterward that set you straight at the salon.

Next time, you should ask the stylist which treatments he/she is using on your hair (protein, and the following up conditioner) so that you can give yourself the same treatment if you need to at home. :D

Last edited:
Oh! But to answer the question in the title of the thread, I have to say it depends on the products and your particular hair. Some cheap products can't hold a candle to salon products, while some cheap products can hang right up there in a regimen with the best of 'em. :lol: Hey, some cheap products started in the salon-- Pantene, Tressemme, Nexxus (though its not exactly cheap) :lol: so that answer is always going to vary from product to product and user to user.
HTH.

TRYING2GROW said:
Sistaslick,

I really admire your hair, and you taking time to help other people to understand their hair.

No problem! Hmmm... choosing a deep conditioner :scratchch
In my experience, the very best DEEP conditioners have been salon conditioner products. They tend to be thicker, creamier, more deep penetrating, more concentrated, and more expensive than their drug store counterparts. But even with the price difference, it's always good to have a very good, quality moisturizing deep conditioner in your regimen. You can skimp on a shampoo, and even on your moisturizers-- but to me, a deep conditioner can make or break a regimen.

I'd make sure the conditioner doesn't have petrolatum, mineral oil*, or zillions of "cones" too close to the water in the ingredient list. A cone or two, natural oils, or oil derivatives are okay. Anything with lots of humectants or "hydrolized" ingredients lets you know that its meant for improving your hair's moisture content and aiding in maximum penetration respectively.

*Mineral oil is one of those things that really depends on the total formula of the product. KeraCare comes to mind on this one. It's a good moisturizing line that just so happens to contain mineral oil. You'll have to shop around and experiment, but that's the fun part!

Back