Did your hair seem shorter before your relaxer?

Do your hair seem shorter before relaxer?

• heck yes!

Votes: 240 94.5%
  • Not really

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • It looks the same as before

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters

SleepyJean

I'm about to get a relaxer after a five month stretch with braidouts. I think I have thin ends, but my mom insists that they look fine. Hopefully, it's just hair anorexia. I was just wondering, if you hair seemed MUCH shorter before your relaxer.

That's me three months ago with my braidouts.

Last edited:
I stretched for a while, and thought i did okay as far as growth, but after that relaxer....man!!!I had no idea my hair had grew so much, i still dont know where it came from

ETA---i went from around midneckish to alittle past colarbonelength

Last edited:
I stretched for a while, and thought i did okay as far as growth, but after that relaxer....man!!!I had no idea my hair had grew so much, i still dont know where it came from

ETA---i went from around midneckish to alittle past colarbonelength

Thank you for the encouragement! I REALLY appreciate it! :grin:

My hair usually seems alot shorter when I do long stretches.
I think all the ng is pushing my hair *up* thus making it appear shorter

Thank you for the encouragement! I REALLY appreciate it! :grin:

YOUR WELCOME!!! ( i wasnt going to say anything untill i realized we were in the same boat, woulda been a waste of time to a APL or BSL:lachen:)

I really really hope you make it to SL ( i want to say i know you will) let me know!

Are you going to wear any special style once you make it?

Also, with the thin ends, your mom is probally right, and they just look thinner to you from your natural hair being thicker at the roots

My hair usually seems alot shorter when I do long stretches.
I think all the ng is pushing my hair *up* thus making it appear shorter

oooohhh. I heard people complaining that they thought stretching was actually making their hair shorter---but couldnt think of anything else but breakage

But the newgrowth is tightly coiled, and pulling/drawing the hair up alittle with it--making shrinkake or something like that----that seems like the best answer

That may be another reason people feel they have soooo much growth after a stretch, their hairs been hiding from them for a while and its a big nice suprise once you relax

YOUR WELCOME!!! ( i wasnt going to say anything untill i realized we were in the same boat, woulda been a waste of time to a APL or BSL:lachen:)

I really really hope you make it to SL ( i want to say i know you will) let me know!

Are you going to wear any special style once you make it?

Also, with the thin ends, your mom is probally right, and they just look thinner to you from your natural hair being thicker at the roots

Seriously, I know this is crazy, but I might cry if I do make shoulder length. I wouldn't care how I styled my hair. I probably would get side swept bangs and enjoy it. I have no major goal. BSL or APL would be great, but any longer would be annoying to me. :nono:

I understand what you mean about APL and BSL people. What would it look like if were telling them advice? :lachen:

Shrinkage from your new growth is probably making it look like that. Your new growth may not shrink evenly. If you're going to trim I'd say hold off until after you relax just to make sure.

When I first began stretching I was convinced that it caused severe breakage for me because my ponytail was so short. Then when I got a relaxer I realized that the short pony was due to shrinkage and not breakage.

Seriously, I know this is crazy, but I might cry if I do make shoulder length. I wouldn't care how I styled my hair. I probably would get side swept bangs and enjoy it. I have no major goal. BSL or APL would be great, but any longer would be annoying to me. :nono:

I understand what you mean about APL and BSL people. What would it look like if were telling them advice? :lachen:
Girl if I made it to SL I would cry too:look::grin:

mysmallbiz! i just checked out your fotki and my your hair has grown!!It looks thick and healthy too!!What have you been doing?Congrats on seeing such good results so soon at that:yep:

mysmallbiz! i just checked out your fotki and my your hair has grown!!It looks thick and healthy too!!What have you been doing?Congrats on seeing such good results so soon at that:yep:

Thanks Lady! :grin:

Nothing special. Mainly just poo/co wash 2x week (ea. w/dc), low manipulation styles, vitamins and a ton of water.

My hair does seem shorter, but maybe it's in my mind. But I do notice that my hair is longer after a relaxer. Even when I stretch like now my hair is straight but i know once i relax it's gonna appear much longer, I don't know the science of it but I have noticed a difference.

My hair does seem shorter, but maybe it's in my mind. But I do notice that my hair is longer after a relaxer. Even when I stretch like now my hair is straight but i know once i relax it's gonna appear much longer, I don't know the science of it but I have noticed a difference.

Same here :yep:...I am currently 10wks post and my NG is bananas!!!!:look:....my hair seems super short to me,so i keep it in a loose bun so i wont get hair depression ...lol...but I'm sure that this is attributed to shrinkage:yep:

My hair feels super short, and I;m 10 weeks post, but...when my hair is wet, the actual strands after the new groth feel thinner than when their dry:ohwell:

I'm about 17 weeks post and I was looking at my hair today and it looks way shorter but I know it's the NG. Looking forward to my retouch1

I'm glad to hear(read) this info ladies. I'm trying to stretch and using growth aids. I thought maybe my hair was breaking off, but I didn't see a lot of breakage.

Heck yes my hair seems shorter... Right now I am 11 weeks post :grin:
I just hope I retained the growth that I've gained :yep::yep:

I'm always shocked after I relax my hair to see how much longer it has gotten. My shrinkage is CRAZY...

I'm hoping the same thing because my hair seems shorter in the middle when I comb it to the back but I'm hoping that it is not breakage and its all the same length once I get my relaxer

I was just thinking this very thing. I'm 22 weeks post, and frankly my hair looks like it hasn't grown. And there is a little breakage, so I'm wondering if it's enough to break off each strand on my head - even though I think I'm doing everything right. I try to stretch it to see progress, but it's still hard to tell. I guess I'll see in 4 weeks.

My hair does that on a regular. Last time I stretched for 6 months, my hair actually looked shorter than APL. When I relaxed it was just brushing BSL. It's just shrinkage

I usually get pretty dang on shocked as well. I'm on a 1 year stretch & currently I am almost 6 months post relaxer. I'm in twists & I am too scared to take then out because if my hair appears to be creeping up on SL when I am APL, I am gonna get discouraged & throw down the towel so I am not allowing myself to peek yet. :(

This thread came right on time!! I was starting to feel discouraged (like why am I doing all of this and my hair is stuck at APL) I'm 10 weeks post and will be relaxing this weekend, so hopefully I see some growth.:yep:

Same here :yep:...I am currently 10wks post and my NG is bananas!!!!:look:....my hair seems super short to me,so i keep it in a loose bun so i wont get hair depression ...lol...but I'm sure that this is attributed to shrinkage:yep:

Back