Design Essentials relaxer users past and present: need your help!

beana

Hi Ladies,

So i made the decision to go back to lye relaxers after 2 years of being relaxed with phyto (no-lye)... No real issues/ problems with the phyto just making the switch. I just purchased the DE regular strength because they didn't have the mild available. Anyhoo, I have fine 4a hair and maintaining thickness is key for me!

Ladies who use this relaxer what strength are you using?

How long do you leave it in?

What relaxer result are you achieving: bone straight, straight with slight pattern, or texlaxed? (I like my hair around 85% staight w/ slight pattern btw)

how long have you used it? Why did you stop?

What do you like best about this relaxer? Do you find you're able to maintain thickness with it?

TIA ladies :D

I'm a die hard DE fan. At first my stylist was using the Lo-Lye with Shea Butter. I loved it. Because of the changes of my hair's needs, she switched me to their Time release (which has no particular strength). I didn't find this out until I ask her opinion when I was buying a 4 lb tub from E-bay.

Anyway, I self-relax now and don't go for straight, wavy or anything, I just get it in to get it in - work it through and rinse when I'm done. Maybe because it's time released (whatever that means) and I don't let it sit I get that straight enough but not sticking to my scalp straight look.

I still use it and as long as they sell it... always will.

Thanks so much for your response pmichael!! One last question for you P, how long would you say it takes you to self relax?

My younger sister relaxes my hair and does a great job, it normally takes her around 20mins from start to finish.

I don't self relax--but I use DE and luv it on my hair.

I'm not bone straight, have fine hair and still have no problems with thinkness.

beana said:
Hi Ladies,

So i made the decision to go back to lye relaxers after 2 years of being relaxed with phyto (no-lye)... No real issues/ problems with the phyto just making the switch. I just purchased the DE regular strength because they didn't have the mild available. Anyhoo, I have fine 4a hair and maintaining thickness is key for me!

Ladies who use this relaxer what strength are you using?

How long do you leave it in?

What relaxer result are you achieving: bone straight, straight with slight pattern, or texlaxed? (I like my hair around 85% staight w/ slight pattern btw)

how long have you used it? Why did you stop?

What do you like best about this relaxer? Do you find you're able to maintain thickness with it?

TIA ladies :D

I'm 3c/4a fine haired and my hair dresser used DE mild relaxer on my hair from 99-06: since i've entered college: i've been doing my own hair: I currently use no-lye and find it much better on my hair:
My hair dresser left it on for about 15 mins but I never liked my hair bone-straight: so I pretended my scalp was burning so she could wash it out:D . It kept its fullness & bounceness to it: I get the same results w/ the relaxer I use now:
Since i got a relaxer every 6 weeks: i can't tell if that was the reason I never maintained my thickness or its the relaxer period: it didn't cause breakage: but my hair was very thin from the relaxer bein applied to already relaxed hair: i find no-lyes to keep the thickness of the hair while getting it straight: ~HTH~

Adrian said:
Have any of you ever purchased this from Ebay.

I purchased mine from ebay, but haven';t used it yet. I'll be the guinea pig and let you know how it turns out in 2 weeks

I believe my stylist is currently using the Time Release on my hair, and I love it. She's been relaxing my hair with Design Essentials since last July, and I have to say this is heads and shoulders above anything else used on my hair.

As long as they keep their formula the same, I don't anticipate using something different.

I am bumping this to let yall know that Irby's still carry this relaxer. Here is a response I just got back from them asking about it:

I have the 4lb regular relaxer(24.99 ) and 32oz neutralizing shampoo (13.99)

Adrian said:
I am bumping this to let yall know that Irby's still carry this relaxer. Here is a response I just got back from them asking about it:

I have the 4lb regular relaxer(24.99 ) and 32oz neutralizing shampoo (13.99)

So you know I jumped right on it and called them... They said they had one left and it was already taken:( They also said they dont think they were going to re-stock :(

beana said:
So you know I jumped right on it and called them... They said they had one left and it was already taken:( They also said they dont think they were going to re-stock :(

What?!!!!!!!!! E-bay is murder.

beana said:
Thanks so much for your response pmichael!! One last question for you P, how long would you say it takes you to self relax?

My younger sister relaxes my hair and does a great job, it normally takes her around 20mins from start to finish.

Beana, I'm so sorry for just getting to this. I rarely get online at home. I've never really eyed the clock but I would guess maybe 30 minutes tops.

I'm tellin' yall, there are puh-LENTY of DE relaxers on Ebay. The sellers may not always make different pages for each product. If they sell anything by Design Essentials (shampoo etc.) I'm sure they sell more in that line. I would contact them and ask them what relaxer they carry.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input!! This thread has definitely been helpful.. and i will report my DE relaxer results in two weeks!

Back