DEFINITIONS/TERMINOLOGY

azul11

I think there has to be a definite explaination for certain terminology we use on this site. Some people who are new to the board or hair care in general need to have a spot to reference certain terms about hair so they can become more knowledgable. Also even those who have been into hair care for a while need a refresher sometimes on certain terms.

For example the difference between a protein,moisturizing,reconstructing,deep conditioner.
the difference between no lye and lye.
difference between trim,dusting,cut(some hair stylists need to know this definition as well /images/graemlins/swearing.gif /images/graemlins/whip.gif)
basing the scalp
oiling the scalp
greasing the scalp
oils, pomades,gels, moisturizers
conditioning shampoo
moisturizing shampoo
dandruff shampoo
fine and thick hair
condition wash

There are more that escape me but there needs to be a defintion for these so that there arent people out there confused as to the terminology used on this board. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Anyone have any definitions or words they need defined? God bless you all.

i was thinking more about phrases we use here like 'bump' 'o/t' off topic or even HTH (hope that helps). for newbies it can be annoying if they dont know!

for the hair products stuff, i think most will learn just as we did, other sites, books and by reading our posts and threads they will figure it out. but azul, you have defined some good points that need to be straightened ou(eg, trim/dusts, lye no lye).

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Pandora said:
for the hair products stuff, i think most will learn just as we did, other sites, books and by reading our posts and threads they will figure it out. but azul, you have defined some good points that need to be straightened ou(eg, trim/dusts, lye no lye).

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree.

there was this thread where someone asked what is the difference between a reconstructor and a protein conditioner and are protein and deep conditioners the same? and what makes a deep conditioner a deep conditioner rather than a regular one? these are beyond confusing because there are some people who dont know the answers to this and a lot of them have been into hair care for a minute so imagine someone just starting out trying to understand all of this. especially when people say the key to haircare is shampoo and deep condition the hair and put it in protective styles. sound simple but we all know there is a lot more to this than meets the eye and some defintions could help to at least start a person off on the right foot. God bless you all.

i know what you mean. when i started this hair care lark, i also didnt know all this but as i lurked i knew. and some people who first register with us will start a thread to introduce and then ask specific questions they dont understand from reading the archives. but i know, there is no harm is putting it there for reference! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know it doesn't answer all of your questions but I hope this helps. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Acidifier
Acidifiers are conditioners with a pH of 3.0. They take out tangles, add body and promote shine in hair.

Acid Perm
A permanent wave with a pH from 6.5 to 8.0. A milder perm than an alkaline perm, it produces softer curls.

Alkaline Perm
A permanent wave with a pH from 7.5 to 9.5. Produces a tight curl.

Aromatherapy
Use of essential oils fragrance for therapeutic benefits.

Balm
Balm is a thicker gel used to manage and control difficult hair.

Beeswax
Wax obtained from honeycombs or resin from bark. Thickener, emulsifier, and stiffing agent in ointments, cold creams, lotions, lipsticks, etc. Sometimes used as a hair removing wax.

Clarifier
Clarifiers are shampoos that can be used about once a week to rid hair of any spray, gel or grease build-up. They are also good for prepping hair when you are going to color it. Slightly more alkaline (higher pH) than ordinary shampoo,

Chelating
A deep cleansing process which strips the hair lightly before a chemical service. Also known as clarifying.

Conditioner
A moisturizing product to use after you have cleaned your hair. Conditioners generally make hair less tangled, smoother and shinier. As with shampoos, there are conditioner varieties for every type of hair.

Conditioning Shampoo
Conditioning Shampoo contains a unique blend of conditioners, moisturizers and protein, which help to revitalize hair, leading to added structure and body. A small amount of this concentrated formula produces a rich lather. A second shampoo leaves hair with extra shine and manageability.

Cortex - Middle layer of the hair that is made up of protein fibers that contain the hair's color and moisture. This layer gives hair its body. When damaged, these protein fibers can unravel, causing lost moisture, splits and breaks.

Cuticle - Outer layer of the hair that is made up of hard, overlapping, transparent cells that lie flat. This layer reflects light and makes hair shine. When damaged, these cells peel up and make hair look dull.

Depilatory
Product used to remove hair from the follicle.

Detangler
A spray-on or rub-in conditioner that takes snarls out of the hair, leaving it easier to comb.

Detoxifier
A cleanser that removes chlorine and buildup caused by conditioners, styling aids and shampoos.

Elixir
A leave-on conditioner that protects hair from styling damage and helps to restore body to chemically treated hair. Made with natural emollients to prevent tangles and static to leave hair soft and silky.

Emollient
Emollients moisturize and protect by trapping water in the hair. This glossy product makes hair easy to comb, softer and smoother. This especially benefits coarse or chemically treated hair.

Emulsion
A suspension of small globules of one liquid in a second liquid.

Finishing Spray
A hairspray with medium hold used on a finished style to maintain its shape and hold.

Freezing Spray
A hairspray with the firmest hold used to maintain style of hard to hold hair.

Gel
Gels are best for fine to medium textured hair and can be used when your hair is wet or dry. On wet hair, gel will help to form it into a certain shape or provide lift. On dry hair, gel can be used to slick back for the wet look or add volume to selected areas. Gels are available in tubes or in spray-on versions. Most are lightweight and can contain sunscreen.

Glosser
Similar to pomade, a glosser is available in both liquid and spray-on version to add shine to hair and smooth frizzies.

Glycerin
Glycerin is a neutral, sweet-tasting, colorless, thick liquid which freezes to a gummy paste and which has a high boiling point. Glycerin can be dissolved into water or alcohol, but not oils. On the other hand, many things will dissolve into glycerin easier than they do into water or alcohol. So it is a good solvent. Glycerin is hygroscopic which means that it absorbs and retains water from the air. If you left a bottle of pure glycerin exposed to air, it would take moisture from the air and eventually, it would become 80 per glycerin and 20 percent water.

Hair Color
A product that changes the tone or color of your hair. Coloring products are available in a variety of formats: Permanent color lets you change your hair to any color you choose and lasts until you cut it off. With permanent hair color, new growth is visible. Intermediate hair color is a permanent dye that stays on your hair until you cut it off. The color is subtle, so you wont notice new growth as much as you do with permanent color. Semi-permanent color stays for 10 to 12 washings and is used to perk up color and give hair a shinier appearance. Temporary hair color comes in the form of shampoo or dyes and generally lasts just a few shampoos.

Hair Follicle - A tube-like opening in the epidermis where the hair shaft develops and into which the sebaceous glands open.
Hair Shaft - When the hair leaves the surface of the scalp, it is known as the hair shaft. This consists mainly of keratin - a hard protein similar to that of our nails. Keratin is very strong, and supple, at the same time. Its great resistance comes from its high content of sulphurated amino acids.

Hair Types - Hair grows out of hair follicles. Each hair follicle is next to an oil gland. The difference in texture is determined by the way hair grows from its follicle and the shape hair takes as it's formed. Coarse hair has thick strands and lots of body. If it's dry, however, it can be wiry and hard to control. Fine hair has thin strands and is soft, but lacks body. It may have a hard time holding a style. Curly hair may be porous and tend towards split ends because of the spiral structure in which it grows. Straight hair's follicle is almost round and is positioned nearly perpendicular to the scalp. Wavy hair's follicle is oval-shaped and is positioned at a slight angle to the scalp. Very Curly hair's follicle is an elongated oval and is positioned at a sharp angle to the scalp.

Hair Spray
Use on dry hair to secure curl and hold style in place. There are hundreds of hair sprays available to cover a variety of hair types and consumer wants. Molding spray makes hair stiff and holds it firmly in place. Medium strength spray holds hair without a lot of stiffness, and mild strength sprays hold hair but allows it move and look natural. In addition to keeping your hair in place, some hair sprays offer other benefits like added shine and SPF protection.

Henna
Derived from the henna plant, a vegetable dye made from its leaves and stems into a powder. Traditionally, it imparts a reddish cast to the hair by coating it. Clear henna enhances shine. Henna cannot be dyed over since it coats the outer hair shaft, affecting the penetration of the chemical colorant.

Humectant
A high-shine product that draws moisture from the air to moisturize the hair, humectant is especially effective in dry climates and on naturally curly or permed hair.

Medulla - Inner layer of the hair (missing from fine hair) that hair is thought to be the supporting structure of the hair

Molding Mud
Molding mud is a thick and heavy product that can be used to control or define small areas like curls or spikes.

Mousse
Mousse can be used on wet or dry hair to enhance texture, volume and movement without looking stiff. Like most products, mousse comes in a variety of formulas from soft to firm hold. It is a good choice for curly hair.

Permanents
A chemical treatment that, when used with rods (rollers), will leave your hair curly or wavy. Permanents relax over time.

Pomade
Pomades add shine, texture and control to hair especially if it is thick and curly. Will smooth out frizzies and provide extra hold. Use too much, however, and your hair may look limp and greasy.

Propylene Glycol
A clear, colorless, viscous, slightly bitter-tasting solvent, wetting agent and Humectant, it is the most common moisture-carrying vehicle used in cosmetics aside from water. It is also found in food as a confectionery, chocolate products, ice cream emulsifiers, shredded coconut, beverages, baked goods, toppings, icings, and meat products to prevent discoloring during storage. Propylene Glycol also promotes the retention of moisture and has the same moisture drawing properties as glycerin. When a sample of pure Propylene Glycol is set out in air, it will absorb up to 60 percent of its weight in water. On a safety note: Propylene Glycol is NOT antifreeze as some of the internet literature would have you believe (many "natural product" companies hawking their wares claim this erroneously). Ethylene Glycol, on the other hand is antifreeze. Propylene Glycol is approved by the FDA and can be found in everything from toothpaste to coating fruits and vegetables in your local grocery store. There is no evidence that this ingredient has been found to be a toxin and most often becomes confused with Ethylene Glycol which is found in Radiator Fluid and is in fact a toxin. Because Ethylene Glycol is so dangerous to humans and the environment, an Earth friendly, nontoxic coolant has been created from Propylene Glycol in recent years. Again this is not the same as the toxic Ethylene Glycol. Propylene Glycol is a very efficient co-solvent, humectant and water-soluble skin moisturizer. It is a superior lightweight ingredient that has water-binding capacity and can help other ingredients penetrate the skin.

Protein Treatment
A treatment used on the hair. Designed to add strength and elasticity to the hair by adding protein to the cortex.

Relaxer
Also called a straightener, this is the opposite of a permanent. Hair is straightened by combing a chemical solution through it.

Revitalizer
An intensive, deep-conditioning product that restores moisture and strengthens hair. It is especially good for hair that has been damaged by chemicals.

Seasonal Coloring
A principal of coordinating certain groups of colors that are flattering to particular kinds of coloring. Broken into four categories: Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter.

Sculpting Spray
Styling tool used on wet hair with a blow dryer or other heating device. It helps to curl and style hair.

Sebum - the oily secretion of the sebaceous glands; with perspiration it moistens and protects the skin. It is especially important for keeping the hair healthy, and moisturized. African textured hair tends to have less sebum distributed along it's shaft due to the curls.

Setting Lotion
Used on damp hair, it helps to add volume and hold curl longer.

Shampoo
A soap or soap-like product used to cleanse your hair and scalp. There are many types of shampoo available for all types of hair. From oily to dry to flyaway; you can buy shampoo to address any of your hair needs.

Shiner
Similar to a pomade or glosser, a shiner adds shine and smoothness to hair. Spray-in shiners aren't as thick as pomades and are best for straight hair.

Silicone-Based Oil
A compound of silicon used in shine-enhancing hair products to seal the cuticle of hair and in many oil-free cosmetics. Silicone-based oils are like emollients in that they seal in moisture, but they are synthetic.

Strand Test - a strand test times how long it will take a relaxer to relax the hair to the desired straightness without risking doing the entire head of hair and damaging it. A small lock of hair is clipped to test with. The timer is set for the maximum length of time recommended by the relaxer manufacturer and the relaxer solution is applied. Once the strand reaches the desired level of straightness, the timer is stopped and the time noted. This will then be the length of time the relaxer will be left on to achieve the desired result. The hair should never be processed for more than the time recommended by the relaxer manufacturer.

Styling Polymer
Styling polymers contain chains of organic molecules that wrap around the hair to increase support and hold hair in place.

Texturizer
A variety of products that are used to add texture and volume to hair.

Thermal Styling Lotion
Used in conjunction with a heat-producing appliance like a blow dryer, curling iron or electric roller, thermal styling lotions protect hair against heat damage and help to hold curl.

Thickener
For fine or bodiless hair, thickeners can provide a much-needed boost. This heat-activated product is applied to wet hair and wont work unless you blow-dry your hair after applying it.

Volumizer
Volumizers are used to add body and volume to hair when you are styling it with a heat appliance. With a lighter hold than gel and mousse, volumizers add body to thin, fine and straight hair.

courtesy of Our Black Hair

oh wow that is so cool. some of these i knew and some i wasnt quite sure of. this is a good reference spot because sometimes when i need to get something answered instead of searching through all of these post and creating a new one i can just look at one spot and just get the answer. God bless you all.

Azul this is a great thread. And very thoughtful of you... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Excellent info Bronx Diva.....

It's a good idea to set up threads where people can be directed specifically toward info that will help increase their understanding immediately. That's why I love this board. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dang Bronxdiva!!!!!!
Is there anything you didn't cover. Well done!! /images/graemlins/clap.gif
A reference guide was a great idea, searching throught post although necessary sometimes, takes so much time and once you find a post that does answer your original question you have 20 more questions just based on all the posts you had to go through.

gabrielle_union.jpg

Thanks Azul and Bronxdiva:

You two are great!

I love this place and I'm afraid I'll never leave! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

wen there's bump in a post it means that the person is bumping up the post so that other pple may answer the question or see it

about ita did u not mean twa?? twa is short for teeny weeny afro

azul11, this was a great idea. And thank you Bronxdiva, for the information. This is exactly what I need being that I am new to the hair care world /images/graemlins/smile.gif. But I still have some questions. For instance many people talk about carrier oils and essential oils. What is the difference /images/graemlins/confused.gif and can you give me examples? For instance is Castor oil a carrier or essential? Another question I have is what do magnetic and the caruso rollers do? I see many great reviews about them but I don't quite understand how they work. Are they used for drying your hair or are they use like a curling iron in order to put curls in your hair? Thanks in advance /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Check here for more info on examples of oils.....
http://www.essential-oil.org/shop/index.htm
Or here....
Essential Health

Essential Oils
Essential oils, or 'essences' as they are also called, are highly concentrated substances extracted from various parts of aromatic plants and trees. They are usually captured by steam distillation, a process whose origins can be traced back to ancient Mesopotamia. Unlike ordinary vegetable oils, such as corn and olive, plant essences are highly volatile and will evaporate if left in the open air. The chemistry of essential oils is complex. Most consist of hundreds of components, such as terpenes, alcohols, aldehydes, and esters. For this reason a single oil can help a wide variety of disorders. Lavender, for instance, is endowed with antiseptic, antibacterial, antibiotic, antidepressant, analgesic, decongestant and sedative properties. Moreover, due to their tiny molecular structure, essential oils applied to the skin can be absorbed into the bloodstream.
They also reach the blood as a result of the aromatic molecules being inhaled. In the lungs, they pass through the tiny air sacs to the surrounding blood capillaries by the process of diffusion. Once in the bloodstream the aromatic molecules interact with the body's chemistry.

Carrier Oils
Carrier Oils. Vegetable carrier oils are more than just vehicles for essential oils, as they often have health-giving qualities of their own. Choosing the appropriate carrier oil will add considerably to the dynamic nature of a massage and can have specific benefits, such as helping to guard against heart disease or inflammatory diseases such as arthritis. They can also help to boost the immune system. Vegetable oils are made up from essential fatty acids and contain the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, and E. Some vegetable oils also contain large amounts of gamma linoleic acid (GLA), useful for the treatment of PMS.The fatty acid compounds help to reduce blood cholesterol levels and strengthen cell membranes, thereby slowing down the formation of fine lines and wrinkles and helping the body to resist attack from free radicals. Heat-treated oils lose some of their nutritional value, so always use a cold pressed, unrefined vegetable oil as a base oil for the dilution of essential oils. Likewise, use a certified organic vegetable oil as this guarantees that no chemical fertilizers, pesticides, or fungicides have been used in its production.
The darker the color and stronger the odor, the less refined the oil, so it will be richer in health-giving properties. The following oils can be used on their own, or as a carrier oil for essential oils. Once they are opened, keep them in the refrigerator.

Check Here for more Caruso information
Hair Boutique

Caruso Rollers
Caruso¨ Professional's Patented Molecular¨ Steam System holds curls, waves, and textures from shampoo to shampoo. Gentle steam allows the rollers to be used over and over without damaging the hair, giving your clients the opportunity to test your texture services before making a permanent decision. It also delivers a faster, healthier, longer-lasting curl than any other curling method, allowing you to create special effects for special occasions in minutes. Available in four systems: 10 roller, 14 roller, 20 roller and the salon recommended 30 roller unit. Replacement rollers in five sizes are also available in 2 packs and 6 packs.

HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks, but now I am a litte upset. I have been doing pre-treatments before I wash my hair. I had made this mixture thinking I had it all figured out. I mix, 2tbsp of castor oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, and coconut oil. I just knew one of my oils was an essential one /images/graemlins/frown.gif. But now I realize I didn't even have one. It was just all pure grease. So now i have to go out and get me an essential oil. Thanks for helping me again

You can purchase essential oils from GNC, Vitamin Shoppe or any health food store. Dont feel bad. I've used olive, coconut and jojoba oils as a preshampoo treatment but now I use Nexxus Botanoil and both have the same results. /images/graemlins/smile.gif HTH

My essential oil mixes I have used more on a nightly treament regimin.

Check this link that was posted earlier
Proven Oil Blend...

No problem ladies! Hi Pebbles/images/graemlins/wave.gif

If I can find the info I will always share it because it will not only benefit the ladies of LHCF but also myself. I am always looking to learn more /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DazzlingD /images/graemlins/look.gif ,
Dont worry. Me personally I would just get the essential oils from the Proven oil blend recipe and just add them. But I do not know if it will alter the way it is suppose to stimulate your scalp. So I guess it will really depend on how much of each carrier oil (jojoba, castor, etc.) you mixed together already. I see someone bumped the link with the recipe. I believe some people put recipes in there for their own creative blends which you might be able to incorporate your carrier blend into. HTH.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

wow bronxdiva!! thanks so much for the information. i have been thinking of adding preshampoo treatments with some oils to my routine. this is great information. /images/graemlins/smile.gif God bless you all.

Back