Default I think I have gone and completely lost my mind!

Mystic

I have absolutely no idea what came over me tonight. Last night when I checked, I was 3.5 inches away from APL..., stretched. Tonight I washed my hair, DC with Cathy Howse conditioner and air dried. My hair felt "gummy" and I did not like the way my ends look. I have been on the no trim challenge, but for some reason (maybe I was frustrated) I just could not ignore it as I normally would. I was SO tempted to trim!!!! I got my brand new sharp sharp scissors out :confused: :confused:. I trimmed the ends but the more I trimmed the more encouraged I was to trim further. Worst of all, my hair was still damp and that is the worst time to trim because you are more tempted to trim more than usually. Well, 15 minutes later, and I kept trimming. 30 minutes into being scissors crazy, all my hair is gone! I am now .4" all over! At no time prior to that was I EVER thinking of going natural (probably when I was 40!) because I loved my relaxed hair! The weirdest thing is now that's is all gone, I feel better having it this short than if I had only trimmed it. If I had only trimmed I think I would be more depressed because I would have been at the same length I was year and a half ago..., yes it's a weird feeling. It's funny because a while back, my hairdresser trimmed 2" and I was furious for days - weeks! Yet, I am now bald and I feel happy...., weird weird weird. Pictures are in my fotki for those interested in a peek. (I need to go and get it professionally cut though). I will grow it natural for a while and then relax when I get to my hair goals. Now I can do co-wash everyday with ease:grin:

SORRY.... http://public.fotki.com/mystic PW...hair_progress OR hairprogress

Last edited:
Wow, that's an interesting story! What you've said isn't weird. I think you feel like you have a new start, and now you can grow your hair to it's goal length with a fresh head of virgin hair.

Enjoy the journey!

Oh wow! That is amazing! I feel you on the ends though, I just cut my hair as well. I bet you can't keep your hands out of your hair!

angellazette said:
Oh wow! That is amazing! I feel you on the ends though, I just cut my hair as well. I bet you can't keep your hands out of your hair!

I cannot stop rubbing my hair - I have never had it this short before! It feels very soft and nice though. I am surprised because I thought my roots would be much kinkier and hard to the touch. I feel lighter and happier though. I am dreading going to the office tomorrow though because I do not want my colleagues to think I did a Britney Spears Act :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Wow...I thought I was the only one that did that to my hair. I felt the same way in August of 2006 and just cut it off, down to about 3 - 4 inches too. I'm so glad I did. My hair is growing so nicely now and I'm loving that I can go from natural to straight and back to natural. It's the best of both worlds.

Congratulations and all the best!

Fran said:
wow! good for you. have you ever gone natural before? wow

Yes. But I never experienced having to cut off relaxed ends before. I was natural for a while before I relax - years ago and my hair was never ever this short.

Mom23 said:
The short hair looks nice on you. :) Congratulations on the big, didn't mean to, big chop. :p

Thanks...., I like the underlined part. Very funny.

Last edited:
delp said:
Are you going back to phyto... or was phyto the cause of the problematic ends

It's a comination of problems not related to phyto. One of the biggest mistakes I made was to keep my lye relaxed ends which were too overprocessed (very straight and stringy). In addition to that, when I started using Phyto, I self-relaxed which left my hair underprocessed. So the very ends are stringy and weak (overprocessed with lye relaxer) next to that is overprocessed parts (the strands look swollen and bushy at times- hard to explain). This does not show at all when my hair is dry or flat ironed but it shows up alot when it's wet. For some reason, it bugged me worst tonight than any other day. Phyto is not the problem of my hair woes and as soon as I have grown significant length, I am going to back to using it but I will have it professionally done ALWAYS so the relaxed strands are uniformed.

wow, it looks good.
much more radical than i was expecting but it does suit you.
i wish i cud go scissors crazy like that but i'm scared my hair would get mad and refuse to grow.

goodluck and i'm looking forward to seeing this journey unfold.

Oh my! You wasn't playing.

I swear I can understand it though. I cut a bit much off than I wanted too and the scissors made me feel powerful. I couldn't stop.:lol: But it looks good girl. You still look feminine and very beautiful.

When I read the .4" comment, I thought it was a typo! :lol:

I checked out your Fotki. The TWA looks very good on you. You'll grow you hair in no time flat! :)

Mystic said:
I have absolutely no idea what came over me tonight. Last night when I checked, I was 3.5 inches away from APL..., stretched. Tonight I washed my hair, DC with Cathy Howse conditioner and air dried. My hair felt "gummy" and I did not like the way my ends my look. I have been on the no trim challenge, but for some reason (maybe I was frustrated) I just could not ignore it as I normally would. I was SO tempted to trim!!!! I got my brand new sharp sharp scissors out :confused: :confused:. I trimmed the ends but the more I trimmed the more encouraged I was to trim further. Worst of all, my hair was still damp and that is the worst time to trim because you are more tempted to trim more than usually. Well, 15 minutes later, and I kept trimming. 30 minutes into being scissors crazy, all my hair is gone! I am now .4" all over! At no time prior to that was I EVER thinking of going natural (probably when I was 40!) because I loved my relaxed hair! The weirdest thing is now that's is all gone, I feel better having it this short than if I had only trimmed it. If I had only trimmed I think I would be more depressed because I would have been at the same length I was year and a half ago..., yes it's a weird feeling. It's funny because a while back, my hairdresser trimmed 2" and I was furious for days - weeks! Yet, I am now bald and I feel happy...., weird weird weird. Pictures are in my fotki for those interested in a peek. (I need to go and get it professionally cut though). I will grow it natural for a while and then relax when I get to my hair goals. Now I can do co-wash everyday with ease:grin:

SORRY.... http://public.fotki.com/mystic PW...hair_progress OR hairprogress

LMAO!!! :eek: :lachen: :lachen:

Mystic said:
I cannot stop rubbing my hair - I have never had it this short before! It feels very soft and nice though. I am surprised because I thought my roots would be much kinkier and hard to the touch. I feel lighter and happier though. I am dreading going to the office tomorrow though because I do not want my colleagues to think I did a Britney Spears Act :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

:eek:

I wished you would've had a few days to think about it beforehand, but you look absolutely gorgeous with a TWA:)

OMG!!!:eek: Her hair looks fantastic!!!! It looked great before, but that short style really does suit you!

Congratulations on your BC! :yay:

Mystic said:

Wow, I just did the same thing yesterday. I went to the barber shop to have my hair cut and I have a tapered fade and I am loving it! You go girl!

Thanks ladies - you are all awesome. Well, I am on the job right now. I wasn't brave enough to shock my colleagues with my new unexpected cut (talk about Britney!) so I am wigging it out today. Just a short while ago, I gathered my "close" colleagues in my office, told them what I did and showed them the fotki (didn't want to take my wig off:lachen: :lachen:) and I was shocked at their reaction. They loved it! and thought I looked so "cute". They are disappointed that I have a wig on and not showing it off but I promised them that as soon as I get it professionally trimmed, I will show it off on Monday.

The shocking thing is that I feel so good about it, relieved. As much as I ignored it for a while, it was VERY frustrating having to trip dead ends off constantly, wiping away any growth that is realized. Not to mention the fact that my hair grows so slowly! It just feels like you are at the same length FOREVER! Anyway, I washed my TWA lastnight; got up this morning and washed it again and the process of getting ready was so easy; just wash and go:D. I am shocked also at the fact that I have curls which I though I never had. I am wondering though if this is because I still have a tiny bit of relaxed ends so it gives a nice wave when I brush it back. This is pretty cool but I won't be under any illusions because I know, the minute this bad boy starts to grow, it will get bushy, unbearable, time consuming and painful. However, since I had natural hair 10" long, I know I will be able to handle it.

I am happy now because I will be starting out from scratch with strong healthy hair; I have a plan of what I need to do to grow it longer and stronger and know it will look much better than what it was before. That's a good feeling because my hair was not looking bad before I cut it so I can't wait to see iwhat it will look like going forward.

Last edited:
Thanks Alexstin. Your hair in your siggy looks so good! My dream length and hair texture.

alexstin said:
Oh wow!!:eek: Congrats! Throw on some earrings and gone wit yo bad self! You have a cute head:lol:

Hey Mystic! left a message in your fotki. You're not crazy I've been feeling like doing the very same thing for weeks now! lol! Anyway I think it looks great, I know you must be feeling great about starting fresh with all the new hair knowledge you have. HHG.

I think your cut is adorable. If your relaxed hair is any indication your natural hair is going to be gorgeous. HHG :)

Back