deep conditioning with or without heat

locabouthair

when you deep conditioner is it best to sit under a dryer or do you get the same effect when you just put on a plastic cap without any heat. I want to know if I should buy a hooded dryer cuz it's on sale. I was thinking about getting one for a while now but I was wondering if it is really necessary.

I usually just use a plastic or heat conditioning cap with my deep conditioners and they've worked really well for me thus far. I try to avoid having to sit under a dryer twice at all costs!!! :lol: :lol:

I use a conditioning cap. I haven't noticed a major difference between using the cap versus sitting under a dryer. I leave the cap on for at least 1/2 hour.

I really, really dislike sitting under the dryer.

I try to always use heat with a plastic cap. Since I air dry most of the time I figure this type of heat won't hurt once a week.

its not necessary, but its good to have just in case....i also tend to avoid sitting under a dryer at all costs, though....i just throw on a shower cap and my hoodie and forget about it for a while...when i take the cap off my hair is really warm cuz the hood kept the body heat in...

I always go under the heat cap for 20 minutes but no longer because I feel too long dries your hair out. I put on a plastic cap first.

locabouthair said:
when you deep conditioner is it best to sit under a dryer or do you get the same effect when you just put on a plastic cap without any heat. I want to know if I should buy a hooded dryer cuz it's on sale. I was thinking about getting one for a while now but I was wondering if it is really necessary.

I haven't sat under a hooded dryers in a couple of years. I hate, hate sitting under that dern dryer. I wanted the warm conditioning treatment, that was not gonna *restrict* me from getting up & moving around.... Soooo, I started experimenting....

I started to *warm* my conditioner in the microwave for about 30 seconds (( time depends on how much conditioner I'm using )), then apply it to my hair. Next I'll cover with a plastic cap (but not always).

THIS WORKED BETTA' THAN USING THE HOODED DRYER!!!! The conditioner literally melts right into my hair (( just like it did with the hooded dryer )). ((PLUS )) I'm not restricted to 1 place... I can move about if I wanna!!!

So before u go & invest a small fortune, try this method!!! I think u'll like it!!

yeah i wasted my money on a hooded dryer cos i cant roller set my hair and i rarely sit under it. i either warm my conditioner or just put on a shower cap and leave on for an hour

You can try using a foil conditioning cap. They come in either gold or silver. It keeps in your body heat so you don't have to sit under a dryer. Using this in conjunction with heating up the conditioner should work great. I'm going to try this as soon as I get my caps.

When I do a deep conditioning I wash my hair late in the evening, put my conditioner on, a baggie/shower cap and my twistie turbo towel and go to bed. I rinse it out the next morning in the shower. Leaves my natural hair very soft. I did this when I had relaxed hair too.

I prefer to use heat or steam when I deep condition, but in a pinch a plastic cap covered with a warm towel for about 1/2 hour will do.

wow, I havent used any kind of heat on my hair in 2 years, but I think my deep conditioning treatments work great anyway

I don't own a hooded dryer to deep condition. I do it like this: I take my conditioner mixture, put it on my damp hair, cover with a plastic cap and leave it on for an hour. Since the upstairs part of my house is hot, my hair gets heated naturally. It works the same way, I guess.

BC

I do it both ways... leave in on without heat for about an hour or sit under the dryer for 15-30 minutes. I really can't tell a difference between the two.

I think the heat helps the conditioner penetrate better and faster. I use the plastic cap mostly with heat but I have been slacking lately and using it w/o heat.

Peachtree said:
I haven't sat under a hooded dryers in a couple of years. I hate, hate sitting under that dern dryer. I wanted the warm conditioning treatment, that was not gonna *restrict* me from getting up & moving around.... Soooo, I started experimenting....

I started to *warm* my conditioner in the microwave for about 30 seconds (( time depends on how much conditioner I'm using )), then apply it to my hair. Next I'll cover with a plastic cap (but not always).

THIS WORKED BETTA' THAN USING THE HOODED DRYER!!!! The conditioner literally melts right into my hair (( just like it did with the hooded dryer )). ((PLUS )) I'm not restricted to 1 place... I can move about if I wanna!!!

So before u go & invest a small fortune, try this method!!! I think u'll like it!!

I never thought about warming my conditioner. I will try this next time rather than sitting under the dryer.

Instead if using a hooded dryer why don't you use a heating cap? That is what I use for my deep conditioning treatments preferably for about 30 min. HTH

I always sit under a dryer. I feel it is necessary to distribute the heat evenly to every strand. When heat is not used, I have noticed my hair is hard, but with the heat my hair is silkier.

Peachtree said:

What a good idea. I may have to try it since I am on the no heat challenge.

Back