Deep conditioning...make a list of home stuff you use!

gissellr78

Hi,

I was just on the deep conditioning thread...very interesting....I use DC on my hair but i want to know what kitchen staples get in to the hair shaft....

EVOO?
Avocado Oil?
Honey?
Coconut oil?

I have these at home and i use them from time to time....but are they just coating my hair?

I've heard that EVOO, Coconut oil, jojoba oil and honey penetrate the hair shaft. I'm not sure how true that is. I know EVOO does for a fact.

Back in the days when I was relaxed, I made a concoction of EVOO, eggs and milk and put it on my hair for one hour as a deep conditioning pre-poo, it worked great, I haven't tried it since I've been natural though.

Yep,i 'm using an egg,honey and banana mixture as I am typing this.it leaves my hair very soft.I will also rinse with a black tea later

Coconut oil pentrates the shaft and so does lactic acid (yogurt, sour cream, milk). When I was reading up about lactic acid as a moisturizer/conditioner it said that when combining it with certain products, like conditioners, the conditioners ability to penetrate the hair shaft will help the lactic acid penetrate further.

So now whenever I do one of my natural dc's I mix in a little conditioner to help it penetrate.

ETA: It is not so bad when things just coat the hair shaft. This type of conditioning helps the hair follicles lay flat and smooth and the extra coating can also help the hair withstand heat and other elements that can damage hair.

Last edited:
Coconut oil pentrates the shaft and so does lactic acid (yogurt, sour cream, milk). When I was reading up about lactic acid as a moisturizer/conditioner it said that when combining it with certain products, like conditioners, the conditioners ability to penetrate the hair shaft will help the lactic acid penetrate further.

So now whenever I do one of my natural dc's I mix in a little conditioner to help it penetrate.

ETA: It is not so bad when things just coat the hair shaft. This type of conditioning helps the hair follicles lay flat and smooth and the extra coating can also help the hair withstand heat and other elements that can damage hair.

That's good to know!

I use coconut oil as a moisturizer since it's been proven to penetrate the hair shaft. I know there's a thread around here about this same topic and if I find it, I'll bump it.

You may want to try the caramel treatment...it's made using things you can find in your kitchen and lots of people like it.

Castor Oil
Coconut Oil
Olive Oil
Honey
Eggs
Avocado's
Bananas (I use the baby food)
Mayo
Aloe Vera Juice
Rosewater

I also would like to try

Avocado Oil
Jojoba Oil
Aloe Vera Gel
Shea Butter
Milk
and Yogurt

If I do add something, one or a combo of
Penetrating oils
banana baby food
coconut milk
molasses
have used honey in the past

I use yogurt - full fat yogurt (thx Henna Sooq)

I rely on my henna mixtures for protein (I add hydrolyzed collagen).

Also in my mixture is yogurt.

I love the Fage yogurt. It has like 21g of fat in it. I would never eat that, but my hair loves it.

Back