Daily hair styling techniques- What is every one doing?

I've been wearing braids for the past 7 months. I changed the style to longer braids, in November, and since then, I've managed to wash my hair once a month (although I wanted to do this more often). I don't moisturise daily or anything because I can't get past it not causing build-up, but when I feel/ see about half an inch of new growth (or slippage), I take down a single braid, apply a CRN leave-in, seal with a butter (shea or bacuri) and rebraid. I guess the only thing I do daily is wrap my hair in silk to sleep lol.

With twist outs i shake and go in the morning, pull it into a low ponytail under a bonnet at night. I aim for product combos that last for the week so I don't moisturize my hair mid week unless I've sweat it out and need to restyle.

I set my straight hair with bantu knots overnight and style as desired in the morning.

My hair is either in flat twist or 2 strands. I put on a cap at night and take it off in the morning and that is about it. Every now and then if my 2 strands get wonky I may fluff them. If the weather is warm, after about 7 days I will run water over them so they hang better.

I am curious to see if I can wear a twist out with minimum effort. I know my wash and go is too much effort which is why I stay in twist most of the time.

I don’t style my hair daily. But every other day, I spritz with Aphogee Pro Vitamin leave in, moisturize with Oyin Hair Dew, and seal with avocado oil. I usually keep my hair in two pinned up Dutch braids. When I need to go out and look cute, I take them down and wear a braid out. My hair goes back in the two braids when I’m in the house.

I used the BB foam wrapping lotion for my most recent wash and go. This foam left my hair too soft to just sleep all Willy Nilly. Unfortunately, I didn’t sleep with a buff last night. I lost a bit of definition underneath in the back, and I was afraid that would lead to tangles and single strand knots. So this morning I coated my dry and unwashed hair in more BB foam wrapping lotion and air dried it.

I can’t say if that was the best decision. My hair is even softer feeling and much bigger. At least I won’t have to deal with tangles.

I know it sounds crazy, but I use the concentrator nozzle on my Dyson dryer to stretch my wash-n-go or twistout back into place almost every day after my workout. Sometimes I add a serum for shine.

it seems to be frowned upon and I wouldn’t recommend it to everyone, but I’ve seen no impact on my hair’s health or length retention doing it.

Last edited:
Lately I have been wearing my hair in pinned up chunky twists. Every few days I'll take the teists down and moisturize and then retwist. When I need to look cute I wear a twist out, and retwust the next day. I can maintain my hair like this for two weeks between washes.

Morning: Use whatever I feel my hair needs in the a.m. (L, O, C, or B) - under my wig cap
During the Day: PS - Wiggin' It
Evening: Whatever my hair needs before I tie it up for the night (L, O, C, or B)

everything depends on how my hair feels:brainy:

I put in Bantu knots a few weeks ago. I let them down so they naturally separate during the daytime. I put in 2-5 buns at night. Every 1-2 weeks I have detangled, as needed and remoisturized when needed. A moisturizer has to keep my hair supple and tangle-free for at least a week to remain in my rotation. On a day when I wash my hair or detangle/moisturize it, I may slightly change my style(for example adding twists). My hair takes less than 5 minutes to let down day-to-day and can be put in a buildable state on wash day that will last for weeks in less than 2 hours.

Back