Cut Afro Hair?

bklynLadee

Hi Yall,

After two years of growing my hair back natural and almost reaching shoulder length I am finally ready to clip my permed ends off.

I would go to a professional, but I know that they are going to want to dry clip my hair but I am not interested in blowdrying/ flatironing my hair to cut my hair...plus I want to make sure that only my permed ends are clipped...I don't mind some of my natural hair being clipped if I wanted my hair to be even but...I don't know Im uncomfortable because some beauticians tend to be sizzor happy. And forget about some of those dominican salons...they straight up torch your hair and just start clipping.

I guess I'm going to have to cut my own hair--can someone help a sista out?

How long is your hair? If it's the same texture, wouldn't a barber do a good job? I am thinking of the afros in the 70's. I'm sure dudes went to a regular barber and I doubt any blow-drying or pressing was going on. And if the texture is the same through the length, methinks you could get a uniform cut w/o pressing from someone with experience. It wasn't until I came to the West that I had my first cut only after blow-drying. In Kenya, while I didn't have long hair, I used to get a nice afro cut from the barber that did my brothers' hair.

Yes cut it yourself! Wet it down so you can see where the natural hair ends and snip snip snip! Good luck. By the way I did my own mini and big chops so I know it is easy when you can see the two textures.

I think you can do it yourself unless you are looking for a cut that looks a certain way while straightened, but it sounds like you don't usually straighten your hair. Just wet it and cut them off lol.

Maybe you should put your hair in twists. ( about 20) 10 on each side. then wet it so that it will curl up and make it easier to see where the relaxed hair starts. Then just clip off the ends of the twists where it is relaxed.

How long is your hair now?

My hair is right on top of my shoulders--yeah I think I am going to just cut it away myself--I am really feeling the benefits of air drying my hair and just spraying my hair with glycerin and water. I think I will cut it, pay a quick visit to the Dominicans and have them just blow dry it and maybe even it out a bit so that I can measure my true length. I will update you guys and have some pics by early next week.

THANK YOU!

Back