Cowashing question

teacherjess

This has been on my mind a while, I just keep forgetting to ask it...:wallbash:

I've tried co- washing and like how my hair feels moistened and in better condition, and I read how some ladies here get awesome growth from it, but it always leaves my scalp feeling like its got build- up. I always feel like I didn't get my scalp clean enough and I'd get the itchies the next day. Anyone else have this problem? Should I try clarifying with a clarifying poo first to remove product buildup and dirt, then do a co- wash so my hair gets the vital moisture? Tell me your co- washing experiences. Thanks in advance. I'm relaxed, if that matters. I don't know if it does or not.

You probably need to clarify. My hair gets like that at times, especially when my PJ-ism is acting up and I'm trying new things on my hair.

Try clarifying and then give cowashing another go-round.

This has been on my mind a while, I just keep forgetting to ask it...:wallbash:

I've tried co- washing and like how my hair feels moistened and in better condition, and I read how some ladies here get awesome growth from it, but it always leaves my scalp feeling like its got build- up. I always feel like I didn't get my scalp clean enough and I'd get the itchies the next day. Anyone else have this problem? Should I try clarifying with a clarifying poo first to remove product buildup and dirt, then do a co- wash so my hair gets the vital moisture? Tell me your co- washing experiences. Thanks in advance. I'm relaxed, if that matters. I don't know if it does or not.

Could your Co-Washing Conditioner could be the culprit?

What your using to Co-Wash, DC and also what products you use on your hair in between Wash Day.:yep:

Perhaps you should incorporate a Clarifying Shampoo at least every 4-6 Weeks or maybe even Shampoo once a month.

Make sure that your cowashing con of choice is free of cones. I like to rotate many of the Vo5 cons when cowashing and will often cycle in one of their clarifying conditioners. I always reconstruct with aphogee 2 minute after my clarifying cons a couple days a week.

Just wanted to add, that when I CW, I do not apply conditioner to my scalp. I do use shampoo regularly though, so that's what I use to clean my scalp. When I'm just CWing and not using shampoo, I apply conditioner to my hair leaving out the inch closest to my scalp. I let the conditioner stay in my hair for 3-5 minutes and then I rinse it out.

IMO conditioner is meant for hair not scalp. It is supposed to coat your hair so it WILL coat your scalp. Products coating my scalp make it itch like crazy so I don't even like creamy shampoos on my scalp. I use gel like ones. Then when I DC with protein, I will use a creamy shampoo but focusing it on my hair not scalp. The gel-like shampoos are what I feel leave my scalp squeaky clean.

Even when not CWing, when just conditioning after shampooing or DCing, I never apply conditioner to the section of my strands closest to my scalp. That hair is fairly new and gets nourished by my sebum (I baggy a lot), so I focus on the older hair that needs more TLC.

Just wanted to add, that when I CW, I do not apply conditioner to my scalp. I do use shampoo regularly though, so that's what I use to clean my scalp. When I'm just CWing and not using shampoo, I apply conditioner to my hair leaving out the inch closest to my scalp. I let the conditioner stay in my hair for 3-5 minutes and then I rinse it out.

IMO conditioner is meant for hair not scalp. It is supposed to coat your hair so it WILL coat your scalp. Products coating my scalp make it itch like crazy so I don't even like creamy shampoos on my scalp. I use gel like ones. Then when I DC with protein, I will use a creamy shampoo but focusing it on my hair not scalp. The gel-like shampoos are what I feel leave my scalp squeaky clean.

Even when not CWing, when just conditioning after shampooing or DCing, I never apply conditioner to the section of my strands closest to my scalp. That hair is fairly new and gets nourished by my sebum (I baggy a lot), so I focus on the older hair that needs more TLC.

I agree. I think this is a key as well.:yep:

I run the condish through my hair only as well. Remember these 2 rules of thumb:

Shampoo is for your scalp.
Conditioner is for your hair.

When I co-wash everyday or so, I also use a clarifying shampoo once a month.

The ladies have given you some great advice. Since I can cowash up to 3x a week, I clarify shampoo twice a month. Also, I before I add conditioner, I totally saturate my hair and gently squeeze out the excess water. I do this twice to help remove any dirt.

Thanks for the advice ladies. I read somewhere in a thread on here that when you co- wash you use the conditioner just as you would a shampoo...that's why I was concentrating it on my scalp and hair to try to cleanse the scalp in the process. Next time, I will just work the condish thru my hair, let it sit for a few mins, then rinse and not add it to my scalp. One more question: does anybody deep condition after cowashing? Or do you just rinse out the condish and apply leave- ins? TIA~ I'd love to give CWing another try

Sure, lots DC after cowashing. Sometimes I reconstruct followed by DC.

*Fabulosity* recommended a couple of cons I've been meaning to try. The Yes to Carrots con, Yes to Cucumbers, etc all foam up somewhat like shampoos.

An avid co-washer chiming in. :)

I just have to mention that co-washing can cleanse the hair as well as the scalp, since some conditioners contain mild cleansing agents that can actually rid the scalp of any buildup/dirt. It really depends on what type of conditioner you use as well as your technique. I co-wash as if I was using shampoo, I concentrate on my scalp first then my hair, when I’m ready to rinse it out I thoroughly rinse for 5 mins or so concentrating on my scalp first then my hair. This technique works for me, I know it may not work for everyone but it does indeed work for some. I also deep condition my hair after co-washing sometimes, I just make sure to stay on top of my moisture/protein balance. Also it’s almost impossible not to get any trace of conditioner on your scalp, no matter if you’re co-washing or deep conditioning. The scalp and the hair is almost one in the same, any product that you apply to your hair especially conditioner it will work its way down to the scalp even if you try to avoid it. *lol* I just never understood that concept.

Last edited:

I just have to mention that co-washing can cleanse the hair as well as the scalp, since some conditioners contain mild cleansing agents that can actually rid the scalp of any buildup/dirt. It really depends on what type of conditioner you use as well as your technique. I co-wash as if I was using shampoo, I concrete on my scalp first then my hair, when I’m ready to rinse it out I thoroughly rinse for 5 mins or so concentrating on my scalp first then my hair. This technique works for me, I know it may not work for everyone but it does indeed work for some. I also deep condition my hair after co-washing sometimes, I just make sure to stay on top of my moisture/protein balance. Also it’s almost impossible not to get any trace of conditioner on your scalp, no matter if you’re co-washing or deep conditioning. The scalp and the hair is almost one in the same, any product that you apply to your hair especially conditioner it will work its way down to the scalp even if you try to avoid it. *lol* I just never understood that concept.

The way I apply my conditioner is as if I'm applying relaxer. I don't hold the strands up so that conditioner drips down towards the base of the hair but I leave the hair hanging down so that conditioner is dripping towards the ends that need TLC the most. I guess the best way to understand the concept is to ask yourself why it is that relaxer can that has been put on someone's hair for the recommended time can appear to burn the person in one spot and not in any other. Chances are the relaxer got onto the scalp in that spot due to clumsy application. When touching up a relaxer you get really close to the scalp, closer than an inch but still a lot of scalps are saved. I skip a whole inch so trust me conditioner has a hard time getting on my scalp.

If I have my hair out all in an afro, because of shrinkage, I can see how the upright standing of the strands can cause conditioner to head toward my scalp. But I'm usually in braids or twists which tend to hang down and overlap so that the parts without conditioner are in the way of the conditioned sections overlapping them.

When I would DC with heat, I couldn't avoid getting conditioner on my scalp, since even with skipping that inch, the heat would make moisture fill the cap and get everywhere, so my scalp would itch a bit. But the effort I made to avoid that by skipping the inch, and the ACV rinses went a long way in keeping itches at bay. But I usually DC without heat nowadays and so I don't seem to have that issue anymore.

Last edited:
Because I co-wash almost daily I clarify once a week.

I just use a little bit of baking soda and water in a sprit bottle spray my hair (but focus mostly on my scalp) then do a deep condition.
I use shampoo only once a month.
Even then it's 40% shampoo/ 50% water in an application bottle. Never straight shampoo.

On the days that I do that I prepoo first, and co-wash/rinse last.

It seems like a lot of activity, but my hair loves it.

I just have to mention that co-washing can cleanse the hair as well as the scalp, since some conditioners contain mild cleansing agents that can actually rid the scalp of any buildup/dirt. It really depends on what type of conditioner you use as well as your technique. I co-wash as if I was using shampoo, I concentrate on my scalp first then my hair, when I’m ready to rinse it out I thoroughly rinse for 5 mins or so concentrating on my scalp first then my hair. This technique works for me, I know it may not work for everyone but it does indeed work for some. I also deep condition my hair after co-washing sometimes, I just make sure to stay on top of my moisture/protein balance. Also it’s almost impossible not to get any trace of conditioner on your scalp, no matter if you’re co-washing or deep conditioning. The scalp and the hair is almost one in the same, any product that you apply to your hair especially conditioner it will work its way down to the scalp even if you try to avoid it. *lol* I just never understood that concept.

I cowash the same way. :yep:

I just have to mention that co-washing can cleanse the hair as well as the scalp, since some conditioners contain mild cleansing agents that can actually rid the scalp of any buildup/dirt. It really depends on what type of conditioner you use as well as your technique. I co-wash as if I was using shampoo, I concentrate on my scalp first then my hair, when I’m ready to rinse it out I thoroughly rinse for 5 mins or so concentrating on my scalp first then my hair. This technique works for me, I know it may not work for everyone but it does indeed work for some. I also deep condition my hair after co-washing sometimes, I just make sure to stay on top of my moisture/protein balance. Also it’s almost impossible not to get any trace of conditioner on your scalp, no matter if you’re co-washing or deep conditioning.
The scalp and the hair is almost one in the same, any product that you apply to your hair especially conditioner it will work its way down to the scalp even if you try to avoid it. *lol* I just never understood that concept.

I agree. I could never effectively cowash without getting any on my scalp.

My scalp gets lots of buildup and itches from cowashes. Tried heavy cons, light ones, cons chocked full of cones and ones without. Same results, build up on scalp. Then I'd have to clarify which stripped my hair horribly and start the dry hair cycle all over again. I use Wen now and I don't have to worry about not getting it on my scalp, it's made to go on the scalp. No buildup and clean, moisturized hair. Finally my scalp and hair are happy.:yep:

Back