cornrows+mtg to carry me through the next 6 months-year ?

meia

hey all!

i recently got a haircut from some dumb @$#@% who basically took almost 2+ inches off my hair. i said i didnt want it. even cried in front of him and he still did the sh*t anyways. i couldve choked him i was that mad. im looking to do 1-2 inches a month (with mtg again even though i swore off of it...i really didnt want to get back into that routine again cos it f**ked up my skin bad and its still bad..im just getting off of that and my hair is now regaining its texture back after the chemicals got washed off and i stopped using it..

well i was wondering if doing a twist/bun(straying away from that because that knots my hair up something awful/conrows mixed in with strawsets..my question is with that type of regime, would the cornrows be just want i need to retain my length? would cornrows be too much for my hairline and is there a way you can just say to a stylist to not pull at your hair? i just did my own today- not entirely hideous. there were virtually no parts, lol whats worse is that i cant get the top of my head for some reason..has anyone done cornrows for that long and had success with retaining length and growing healthily with or without mtg? my hairline is just recovering from how i mistreated it when i was younger and i dont want to lose that ground..

thanks in advance ladies!
ps: pardon my profanity..its just infuriating like you wouldnt believe- now i know why i stopped going to stylists. i used to be mid breast..now im an inch from shoulder..grrrrr:mad:

I don't have any trouble at all with MTG it never gets on my nape but in anycase I put a towel around my shoulders I only use it every other day, I have been consistenly using MTG since Nov 4 without any issues, my daughter as well. Perhaps you can add some form of thickner to your mixture maybe a leave in conditioner or aloe vera gel

kristenxdollface:
thats fine girl! always love to help a fellow lhcf friend out! well it makes my skin dry (ive heard this complaint from a number of women on this board)- almost raw feeling. i havent found a way to counteract that, but im trying!
it also makes me break out in a rash on my forehead, and makes my skin kind of flaky in a way..

trudy:
thats a truly good idea!...i recently mixed it with wgo and essential oils..i think i might try aloe vera gel next or shea butter so i can make a butter out of the mtg instead of a liquid...thanks for reminding me that i could
do that!! i forgot allllll about that! i think im going to start a rigorous schedule of mtg usage...since im out of school permanently, i think im going to use it
5 days out of the week...i want to get at least 4-5 whole inches of growth by 6 months end..i think thats reasonable if i up my protective styling...

btw, today when i applied it (first time in months!) i applied shea to the ends of my hair and combed it well first...then left the roots and scalp without moisturizer so it can penetrate...no irritation yet! yayy! ohhh and i also
applied a cloth headband and a net to my hair to keep it in place!

I've been keeping my own hair braided up to make applying MTG easier, I took a short break from braiding (got lazy and bored w/the styles), but I never had any problems w/my hair line thinning, as a matter of fact MTG has actually thickened my naturally thin hair line up. I just braided my hair back up earlier today and applied my MTG. I only apply from the hairline to the section that's ear to ear and then I massage it through the rest of the parts down to my nape area, because when I was applying through out the entire part it was running down my neck. It's true when they say a little goes a long way. I think your be fine.

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I've been keeping my own hair braided up to make applying MTG easier, I took a short break from braiding (got lazy and bored w/the styles), but I never had any problems w/my hair line thinning, as a matter of fact MTG has actually thickened my naturally thin hair line up. I just braided my hair back up earlier today and applied my MTG. I only apply from the hairline to the section that's ear to ear and then I massage it through the rest of the parts down to my nape area, because when I was applying through out the entire part it was running down my neck. It's true when they say a little goes a long way. I think your be fine.

ahhh thank you for your response! i was curious if the pulling or anything would ruin my hairline because, like you, the mtg has thickened it up nicely! and i never thought of applying from the top and massaging down through the rest of the scalp!! thank you for the idea!!! i started using an applicator tipped bottle (wgo) so thats conditioning me not to use so much! if not id be a nasty, bacon, horsey smelling mess:lol: ...thank you again beautifulwideeyes! your response was definitely very helpful!!!

meia said:
hey all!

i recently got a haircut from some dumb @$#@% who basically took almost 2+ inches off my hair. i said i didnt want it. even cried in front of him and he still did the sh*t anyways. i couldve choked him i was that mad. im looking to do 1-2 inches a month (with mtg again even though i swore off of it...i really didnt want to get back into that routine again cos it f**ked up my skin bad and its still bad..im just getting off of that and my hair is now regaining its texture back after the chemicals got washed off and i stopped using it..

well i was wondering if doing a twist/bun(straying away from that because that knots my hair up something awful/conrows mixed in with strawsets..my question is with that type of regime, would the cornrows be just want i need to retain my length? would cornrows be too much for my hairline and is there a way you can just say to a stylist to not pull at your hair? i just did my own today- not entirely hideous. there were virtually no parts, lol whats worse is that i cant get the top of my head for some reason..has anyone done cornrows for that long and had success with retaining length and growing healthily with or without mtg? my hairline is just recovering from how i mistreated it when i was younger and i dont want to lose that ground..

thanks in advance ladies!
ps: pardon my profanity..its just infuriating like you wouldnt believe- now i know why i stopped going to stylists. i used to be mid breast..now im an inch from shoulder..grrrrr:mad:

Hey Meia sorry to hear about that. For cornrows i usually keep them in 5weeks and half , the max i did was 2 months. And so its not damaging i just do 10 with extensions but i ask them to start the cornrows with my own hair and add the extension hair a little later in the braid, to save my hairline. i usually mtg daily with the cornrows and put a plastic cap on top of it . i found that any smaller cornrows or pencil braids left for a long time hinders my hair retention so i just do 10 big cornrows it s way easier to deal with if you try to do the cornrows every 2 months i always retained most of it with the baggy method. as long as you dont keep the cornrows dry, the build up will be easily removed and will slide when you ready to take them out and you can easily get 2 inches of growth in 6weeks if you apply the mtg daily with a plastic cap. but put a tshirt when you apply it and a towel i never had skin reactions on my neck. And dont braid too too tight and just apply the mtg between the rows:)

Last edited:
Kristenxdollface said:
i'm sorry this doesn't answer your question... but i am curious how mtg effected your skin

i can tell you what the MTG did to *my* skin.. it pretty much burnt it off.. I have a totally new layer of this wierd textured scaly skin on my ears, my neck, my upper back and chest.

a towel wouldn'tve helped me... because even when using one, since i did wash and goes everyday to work, by the time i got to work, the mtg/water would drip all over me anyway..

Even my scalp in the exact areas where I used to apply MTG are scaly and flaking. It now looks like i have big dandruff in those areas, except, thankfully, it doesn't hurt.

The other areas that weren't my scalp really did hurt.
I ended up putting my cortisteroid creams on it to make things alittle better...

Sorry Meia!!! didn't mean to hijack your thread like that!

metro_qt said:
i can tell you what the MTG did to *my* skin.. it pretty much burnt it off.. I have a totally new layer of this wierd textured scaly skin on my ears, my neck, my upper back and chest.

a towel wouldn'tve helped me... because even when using one, since i did wash and goes everyday to work, by the time i got to work, the mtg/water would drip all over me anyway..

Even my scalp in the exact areas where I used to apply MTG are scaly and flaking. It now looks like i have big dandruff in those areas, except, thankfully, it doesn't hurt.

The other areas that weren't my scalp really did hurt.
I ended up putting my cortisteroid creams on it to make things alittle better...

Sorry Meia!!! didn't mean to hijack your thread like that!

:eek: wow Metro_QT u must be allergic to it. dont use it anymore.

Back