Cornrow Help!

I hope one of the ladies with more healthy hair experience than I have will be able to answer this question. I am currently 12 weeks post relaxer, and was hoping to stretch for a bit longer but have to change my plans because I have a wedding to attend. I am currently in cornrows which I am planning on taking out soon and getting a relaxer.

Is it best ti take them out, wash my hair, and then wait for a few days before relaxing? Or should I take them out, and go straight to salon to relax and not bother washing? Any advice is greatly apprciated.

I think you should wash and deep condition first, then wait a few days before relaxing. But I'm not relaxed so hopefully a relaxed lady will respond...

Co-signing with above....when is the wedding? Or how many days in between do you have left?

I think you should wash and condition first as well. But it depends on how you've been taking care of your hair in cornrows I suppose. If you've been washing and conditioning regularly, you should be fine to take them out, detangle, and head to the salon with unwashed hair.

You want as much time as possible between braids and relaxing. I think 2 weeks is the target time. Wash, protein, DC and a rest from the stress of braids is what you hair needs before relaxing again.

Thanks everyone. The wedding is on the 17th of June but my last opportunity to relax will be the 15th. I guess I will take them today, and do wash, dc etc. I will wait until the 15th to relax. Thanks for all the input.

What condition is your hair in now in the braids? This will determine what coarse you should follow before a relaxer.

Have you kept up your hair while in braids?

My general - generic recommendation would be to take down the braids, gently finger detangle, check for any matting and detangle on DRY hair.

Deep condition or give yourself a hot oil treatment on dry hair.
Shampoo
Deep Condition using a protein based product (Aphogee 2 min, Nexxus Emergencee, Thermafuse)
Light DC with Moisture based rinse
Moisture based leave-in

Relax after 3 days if you can hold out
On relaxer day - coat the relaxed portions of your hair with light protein, acid balanced based conditioner.

Back