Confusion--What Purpose Does Oil on the Scalp Serve?

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
Okay, so I searched and couldn't find the answer. I know that "grease" is bad (i.e. petroleum, mineral oil), but what about putting olive oil or castor oil on the scalp? I'm not asking if it's bad, but how does it help the hair?

I know that my scalp tends to be very very dry, and no matter how long I go without washing it, no natural sebum seems to ever present itself. Could this mean that I actually need to put oil on my scalp often?

Okay, so I searched and couldn't find the answer. I know that "grease" is bad (i.e. petroleum, mineral oil), but what about putting olive oil or castor oil on the scalp? I'm not asking if it's bad, but how does it help the hair?

I know that my scalp tends to be very very dry, and no matter how long I go without washing it, no natural sebum seems to ever present itself. Could this mean that I actually need to put oil on my scalp often?

and check your diet? is your skin dry? do you drink enough water?

I believe its wonderful for dry scalp, like if you oiled your skin anywhere else on your body, it provides nutrients and moisture and lubrication to your scalp

I have always oiled my scalp and always will:yep:

to me not using it is the same as bathing without using lotion after for your skin

Natural carrier & eseential oils aid in keeping the scalp nourished and supple, it all depends on what's in your mix.
Yes. If your hair produces little to no natural oils lightly oiling your scalp with a light oil will offer some relief.

and check your diet? is your skin dry? do you drink enough water?

I should probably drink more water, but I do have eczema anyway. I just wanted to know if the oil is necessary for good growth. My hair does grow at around an average/above average rate, but if I should be doing something else with my scalp I'd like to know.

I should probably drink more water, but I do have eczema anyway. I just wanted to know if the oil is necessary for good growth. My hair does grow at around an average/above average rate, but if I should be doing something else with my scalp I'd like to know.

Jojoba oil is the best oil for eczema, also try rinsing your scalp with chamomile tea every time you shampoo it. That will really help with your eczema. You can use the tea or flowers to make a rinse it's easy and it makes your hair smell good to boot.

Chamomile benefits

• A great anti-inflammatory perfect for hypersensitive skin, broken veins & puffiness.
  • Strengthens skin & scalp tissue. Reduces swelling & pain of the skin & mucous membranes. (excellent for eczema, skin rashes, acne, excessive acne, rosacea & allergic reactions).
  • Brightens highlights in hair when used in a shampoo or as an herbal hair rinse.
  • Contains traces of the essential oil called azulene (an analgesic & detoxifier).

So, does oil make the hair grow faster? One reason I'm curious is that people of caucasian and Asian descent have hair that genetically grows faster on average than people of African descent (scientific study). Caucasians and Asians have hair that will get oily if not washed at least several times a week. They're clearly producing a lot of sebum. I've just been wondering if this sebum has anything to do with growth rate ('cause you know that's always the bottom line, lol).

So, does oil make the hair grow faster? One reason I'm curious is that people of caucasian and Asian descent have hair that genetically grows faster on average than people of African descent (scientific study). Caucasians and Asians have hair that will get oily if not washed at least several times a week. They're clearly producing a lot of sebum. I've just been wondering if this sebum has anything to do with growth rate ('cause you know that's always the bottom line, lol).

Oh really!! Where did you read that, i would love to read it because im having trouble believing that.

Im not sure if applying oil to your scalp makes your hair grow faster but IMO i just thnk that if you are oiling your scalp, you are keeping it moisterised and providing essential fats and nutrients that your scalp and hair will need to grow and to grow healthy.

Jojoba oil brings the following benefits:
1. Moisturizes the scalp. Using Jojoba oil and massaging it directly onto the scalp will not only relax you but it also moisturizes the scalp itself while treating your hair with an intense conditioning.
2. Develops new hair cell growth. Dry hair can lead to hair damage or hair loss. The application of Jojoba oil will counteract this symptom, allowing the growth of new hair cells.
3. Jojoba oil is non-greasy, colorless and odorless. While application of oils directly on the hair can be very obvious from afar, using Jojoba oil is non-greasy and unnoticeable.
4. Jojoba oil is not irritating to the skin if applied to dry, itchy and sore scalp. Our scalp is sensitive when it is dry and applying Jojoba oil and then rinsing your scalp with clean water is one way of treating this scalp condition.
5. Antibacterial. Jojoba oil is used for treating sores, cuts, bruises and burns and helps heal scars.
6. Jojoba oil allows the flow of sebum in plugged-up pores. This promotes a healthy scalp and hair by replicating the sebum oil secreted by human sebaceous glands.
7. Jojoba oil conditions your hair and prevents it from being brittle and dull.
8. If there is too much sebum found on the scalp, Jojoba oil can dissolve and take out the sebum, allowing the hair to be cleansed.

Macadamia Nut Oil

Macadamia oil reduces wrinkles and dryness. It is a natural moisturizer and emollient (emollients attract and trap moisture from the air). Macadamia oil is light and non-greasy so it is easily absorbed into the hair shaft and skin. Another gift of macadamia nut oil is that it contains proteins, and its vitamin E contributes skin-care benefits and long shelf life. The high count of mono-unsaturated fatty acids makes the oil mimic the sebum (naturally produced oil on scalp and skin which protects it from damage). All of these qualities contribute to its reputation as a superb hair and skin treat, as well as an elixir for healing scars, sunburn, wounds and irritations.

Oh really!! Where did you read that, i would love to read it because im having trouble believing that.

It was posted in an old thread somewhere, the title of which I forget. Can any ladies help me out with that one?

I think what we didn't know about the study was whether they took into account hair practices and other nutritional factors, breakage, etc. But yeah, that's what the study said. I was just trying to isolate the variables to see what could be the cause of it.

It was posted in an old thread somewhere, the title of which I forget. Can any ladies help me out with that one?

I think what we didn't know about the study was whether they took into account hair practices and other nutritional factors, breakage, etc. But yeah, that's what the study said. I was just trying to isolate the variables to see what could be the cause of it.

I don't know what study you mean but The Trichological Society seems to think so too :look: then adds that the weak structure further affects retention. *shrug*

Rate of growth
Normal Caucasian hair growth rate is 1-2 cm per month. Researchers have shown that this rate of growth may reduce beyond the length of approx. 27cm. Afro-Caribbean hair growth rate is approximately half that of Caucasian, and due to the fragility of their multi-helixal structure, rarely attain great length. Asian hair-shafts grow rapidly exceeding the average for Caucasians and may attain great length.

In the majority of humans, terminal hair is straight and is circular in cross section - such hair-shafts having emerged from host follicles with similar characteristics. If however, due to genetic factors or skin injury the follicle is:

1. Of a spiral or zigzag structure; the hair-shaft will emerge in conformity and exhibit appropriate helices. This is demonstrated by many with the Afro-Caribbean type hair, and also occasionally as a result of pressure employed during multiple hair follicle transplantation surgery.
  2. Naturally flattened, imperfect, oval or kidney shape; the hair-shaft will emerge exhibiting waves/curls of appropriately varying degree. Numerous factors incidental to natural healthy life can influence hair formation. Other aberrations may result from ill health, drug therapy and ageing etc.
Source: http://www.hairscientists.org/hair.htm

I believe its wonderful for dry scalp, like if you oiled your skin anywhere else on your body, it provides nutrients and moisture and lubrication to your scalp

I have always oiled my scalp and always will:yep:

to me not using it is the same as bathing without using lotion after for your skin

What she said ... lol!

What do you use on your scalp Irresistible?

I don't know what study you mean but The Trichological Society seems to think so too :look: then adds that the weak structure further affects retention. *shrug*

[/list]
Source: http://www.hairscientists.org/hair.htm

Thanks for the link, though after reading the article, a couple of things seemed "off" to me. For one thing, they list the average caucasian growth rate as 1-2 cmper month and the Afro-Carribean growth rate as half that. This would mean that white people's hair grows between .4 and .8 inches per month, and black people's grows between 0 and .4 inches per month, which would make the half and inch per month to be faster than most. That seems slower than the average I've seen here and in whites (though "Afro-Carribean" may well not really describe most of the women on this board).

Also interesting, that article suggests that beyond 27 cm (10.6 in.) one's growth rate may slow.

But they don't mention the presence or lack thereof of sebum, so maybe it isn't a factor.

I don't oil my scalp per say, but ifs its itchy and dry I will put something on it. But I don't make it a schedule thing to do. I have no problems at all.

Back