Confused re: Using Curl Activator

northernbelle

Can anybody give me advice about using curl activator on relaxed hair?

What does it do, and what does the hair look like afterward?

Thank you!

northernbelle

My understanding is that it is used on the new growth and hair itself as a really good moisturizer.

I think most of the relaxed ladies are using activator when they wear buns or braidouts.
smile.gif

The only way to really know is to try!
smile.gif
It won't bite! I use it on my hair sometimes. I use it to smooth my hair into a bun (a couple of squirts into the palm of my hand, rub hands together, smooth into hair). I also apply to my ends sometimes when my hair is wet or dry, to rewet and add moisture. It really has many uses, but you must TRY it in order to see where it will be useful to YOU. Also, it does not make your hair look like you have a curl or wet all the time. It moisturizes the hair, but does dry up. After all, the first ingredient is water. HTH

[ QUOTE ]
ubavka123 said:
The only way to really know is to try!
smile.gif
It won't bite! I use it on my hair sometimes. I use it to smooth my hair into a bun (a couple of squirts into the palm of my hand, rub hands together, smooth into hair). I also apply to my ends sometimes when my hair is wet or dry, to rewet and add moisture. It really has many uses, but you must TRY it in order to see where it will be useful to YOU. Also, it does not make your hair look like you have a curl or wet all the time. It moisturizes the hair, but does dry up. After all, the first ingredient is water. HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

Great advice!

I figure I will try some of the methods I have read about on the LCHF while I still have several weeks of summer vacation. LOL!

northernbelle

I copied and pasted this from a thread called Hair Boo-Boos about my experience with Curl Activator....HTH!
smile.gif

There is no moral to the tale...just wanted to share...feel free to post your hair experiements gone bad!

This hair growing healthy hair goal has many bumps along the way...here I am thinking that I got this Ish down! Well you learn something new everyday...

I have been experimenting with Curl Activator...I was like this stuff is the BOMB for keeping hair moisturized...I washed on Sunday and my hair stayed so soft all day I was like this is Great! So Why did my behind spray curl activator on my dry hair and then I did some Bantu knots before bed Sunday night....

My hair wasn't saturated with the stuff but it was slightly damp..but I figured it would definitely be dry by morning...WRONG! When I let down my knots my hiar was damp and my waves fell right out! I ended up flatironing the hair...yes I know horrible but I had to bounce in 10 mins for work.

Anyway never say that I'm not persistant...I was bound and determined to make this work for me....I said let me start a little earlier and use less...and sit under the dryer for about 20 minutes...same result on Tuesday...sh*t...

MAN I AM HARDHEADED!

Tuesday night:

So I and said well I'm not washing tonight and I WON'T USE ANY ACTIVATOR I will just make the knots...I know I read on some post that you can do it with dry hair and put a plastic cap on to moisturize it...I surged and didn't put ANYTHING else on my hair...I popped the plastic cap on and got on the phone...I was laying in bed chatting...after an hour I noticed my head felt rather...warm..so I starts poking around under that cap...dag nabbit my hair was damp!

I was like HOW THE HECK CAN I PUT A PLASTIC CAP ON DRY HAIR AND IT GETS WET!

Then I realized curl activator draws moisture from the air...the more humid the conditons the more moist your hair will get..even though I hadn't used any activator since monday night...Well..I took the cap off and figured it was less damp than it had been the two previous times...and would dry by morning WRONG again...this is my third day in a row with a busted up do...cuz I had to rush...I was frantic I went for the curling iron...I was like "put that thing down" tried a pony tail...but it isn't that long! and I think it doesn't look good enough for the office that way...I was all out of fake hair couldn't even do a bun! And my real bun is soooo little at this point...finally I did a fast up do and bounced...but's it's one of those geled up messes...I'm playing it off but I feel like a mess...totally unsexy...and it didn't help that when I was coming up in the elevator there was a gorgeous impeccably dressed sister with her hair loking tight..I felt like a sooooo wack standing next to her!

No more activator for me....not unless it's my day off and I'm doing a wash and go...and using the dream curls with it.

I am dying to get home to fix my do...I don't know but it never bothered before when I had bad hair days...now I don't feel right unless the do is looking good.

Sisters from now on I am saving the experiments for the weekend.

good point falon, I was going to mention to her that if she is in NY it might not work well for her bc I know the summer is humid....I live in FL and found out its a no-no for me too!

Back