Confused about Conditioners

Rei

Alright so Ive heard so much about conditioners that I am officially confused~! I need someone to let me know which one of these are true

1. any conditioner can be used as a deep conditioner
1. Only conditioners that say 'leave on for 15 mins' or so on can be used as DCs (for the record i've seen like only 1 or 2 conditioners that actually say this)

2. Even though it says protein on the front, it is not a protein conditioner
2. If it says protein on it, its protein

Also, since I've heard that ors hair mayo is not a protein conditioner, what is it? a moisture one? just...a conditioner? As well as aveda damage remedy, is it a dc or no (i'll be mad if it isn't, it was too expensive to slap on for 5 mins and have superficial coverage)

Alright so Ive heard so much about conditioners that I am officially confused~! I need someone to let me know which one of these are true

1. any conditioner can be used as a deep conditioner
1. Only conditioners that say 'leave on for 15 mins' or so on can be used as DCs (for the record i've seen like only 1 or 2 conditioners that actually say this)

2. If it says protein on it, its protein

Also, since I've heard that ors hair mayo is not a protein conditioner, what is it? a moisture one? just...a conditioner? As well as aveda damage remedy, is it a dc or no (i'll be mad if it isn't, it was too expensive to slap on for 5 mins and have superficial coverage)

Certain conditioners can be used as a DC in my opinion. I wouldn't use my VO5 Moisture Milks condish as a DC... I'd use my ORS Replenishing. Usually a product that says "deep" or "recovery" or even "mask" somewhere on the label are deep conditioners.

As for the protein issue, you can easily tell by reading the first 10 ingredients. If it has at least two or three of these: Keratin Amino Acids, Hair Keratin, Silk Amino Acids, Amino Silk Acids, Hydrolyzed Protein, Wheat Protein, et cetera; it's usually is a protein. Just read the back.

I haven't used ORS Hair Mayo in a good minute so I don't know the ingredients well enough to judge if it's protein or not... But I'll bump for you!

Last edited:
1. any conditioner can be used as a deep conditioner ....not true
1. Only conditioners that say 'leave on for 15 mins' or so on can be used as DCs...it doesn't necessarily have to be 15 mins. i've seen DCs state 10 mins...what u don't want..is a cheapie that states 1-2 minutes and use that as a DC...(altho some girls swear its dcing their hair but we've had several threads on this debate...i still stick behind that 1-2 min. cheapies are not dcs)

2. If it says protein on it, its protein (ahh the protein debate:rolleyes:....there are different types of proteins. some stregthen, reconstruct, silken, and help add moisture..they are still proteins but it depends of what TYPE of protein conditioner u are looking for)

Also, since I've heard that ors hair mayo is not a protein conditioner, what is it? a moisture one? just...a conditioner? As well as aveda damage remedy, is it a dc or no (i'll be mad if it isn't, it was too expensive to slap on for 5 mins and have superficial coverage) haven't used hair mayo..but i have used aveda DR...i think there is a rinse out conditioner which is what i used...and then there's the reconstructuring conditioner which i think they use a dc...im not sure

You can always do what I do: Screw the "rules" and use whatever you want. :yep: Plenty of people use any conditioner to deep condition with and get great results.

I think all of these labels are too confusing.

Here are the ingredients for the ORS Hair Mayo (special thanks to Neith for the Product Guide in her fotki!):

Water Aqua , Polyquaternium 32 , Glycerin , Safflower Oil Carthamus Tinctorius , Hydrolyzed Collagen , Behentrimonium Methosulfate , Cetyl Alcohol , Olive Oil Olea Europaea , Dicetyldimonium Chloride , Lanolin , Dimethicone , Phenyl Trimethicone , Panthenol Vitamin B5 , Cholesterol , Stinging Nettle Urtica Dioica , Capsicum Extract Paprika , Hydrolyzed Keratin , Egg Powder Ovum , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Propylene Glycol , DMDM Hydantoin , Diazolidinyl Urea , Methyl Paraben , Propyl Paraben , Brown No. 1 CI 20170 , Fragrance Parfum , Benzyl Benzoate , D'Limonene , Linalool , Alphaisomethylionone

thank you soulie, i really should have typed that out in my first post.

thanks everyone else as well i'm just trying to see whether or not i'm actually dcing my hair or if i'm just wasting 30 mins

Here are the ingredients for the ORS Hair Mayo (special thanks to Neith for the Product Guide in her fotki!):

Water Aqua , Polyquaternium 32 , Glycerin , Safflower Oil Carthamus Tinctorius , Hydrolyzed Collagen , Behentrimonium Methosulfate , Cetyl Alcohol , Olive Oil Olea Europaea , Dicetyldimonium Chloride , Lanolin , Dimethicone , Phenyl Trimethicone , Panthenol Vitamin B5 , Cholesterol , Stinging Nettle Urtica Dioica , Capsicum Extract Paprika , Hydrolyzed Keratin , Egg Powder Ovum , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Propylene Glycol , DMDM Hydantoin , Diazolidinyl Urea , Methyl Paraben , Propyl Paraben , Brown No. 1 CI 20170 , Fragrance Parfum , Benzyl Benzoate , D'Limonene , Linalool , Alphaisomethylionone

its Protein!

whew lord hammercy cant believe I overnighted with this once years ago. No wonder I wasnt impressed

You can always do what I do: Screw the "rules" and use whatever you want. :yep: Plenty of people use any conditioner to deep condition with and get great results.

I think all of these labels are too confusing.

I agree with this on so many levels

some things are across the board and some things just arent

1. Any conditioner can be used as a deep conditioner - False. Imo it depends on the ingredients. If a conditioner doesn't have good ingredients that can penetrate the hair, it's not going to do anything good for your hair if you try to deep condition with it!

1. Only conditioners that say 'leave on for 15 mins' or so on can be used as DCs (for the record i've seen like only 1 or 2 conditioners that actually say this) - False. Look at the INGREDIENTS to make your decisions with products! That's the most important thing when choosing products. 99% of the time I don't read what the label says in front.

2. Even though it says protein on the front, it is not a protein conditioner - True sometimes. Again... look at the ingredients!

2. If it says protein on it, its protein - :lol: Look at those ingredients!

ORS hair mayo is a light-medium protein conditioner. It has quite a bit of collagen and a little bit of keratin and egg protein.
It's moisturizing, but with a healthy shot of protein in it.

I'm unsure about the aveda, sorry!

Neith thanks for clearing it up about the ORS Mayo! Actually I have to wash my hair tonight and I have:

Ors mayo
HE HH
Aveda Damage Remedy
NTM mask <- (it figures that the only condi that i can get for free, as my sister works for J&J, would not really work for my hair)

and I felt like doing a moisturizing DC, but it seems like none of them are really moisturizing (besdies HE HH, and thats not a DC i think...)
so i guess on to ors mayo it is.

Neith thanks for clearing it up about the ORS Mayo! Actually I have to wash my hair tonight and I have:

Ors mayo
HE HH
Aveda Damage Remedy
NTM mask <- (it figures that the only condi that i can get for free, as my sister works for J&J, would not really work for my hair)

and I felt like doing a moisturizing DC, but it seems like none of them are really moisturizing (besdies HE HH, and thats not a DC i think...)
so i guess on to ors mayo it is.

I personally wouldn't use the ORS TOO often. It does have that protein in it but as long as you're not using every week and your hair isn't very sensitive to protein it's fine! Tip: Add a tablespoon of oil to it :yep:

The NTM mask is okay for deep conditioning... I wouldn't use it because it has so much silicone in it... but some people do use it successfully! If you're not against using silicones, consider that one too!

If you can, check out SistaSlick's siggy. She has a really good article about deep conditioning and I believe she also lists some good moistuirizing conditioners. Her articles cleared up a lot for me.

I don't have the link saved on this computer but I'm sure she has the link to that article, and others, in her siggy. HTH.

If you can, check out SistaSlick's siggy. She has a really good article about deep conditioning and I believe she also lists some good moistuirizing conditioners. Her articles cleared up a lot for me.

I don't have the link saved on this computer but I'm sure she has the link to that article, and others, in her siggy. HTH.

I agree with Tarae, checking out SistaSlick's articles on Associated Content was very helpful to me. She even has a list that you can print out of good moisturizing conditioners, as well as good protein conditioners. Also, Macherieamor (lhcf member) has a few videos on You Tube, where she talks about conditioning the hair. They are excellent resources, you might want to check them out.

I agree with Tarae, checking out SistaSlick's articles on Associated Content was very helpful to me. She even has a list that you can print out of good moisturizing conditioners, as well as good protein conditioners. Also, Macherieamor (lhcf member) has a few videos on You Tube, where she talks about conditioning the hair. They are excellent resources, you might want to check them out.

I agree! :yep:

Back