Come in to read my Product Reviews

hairgirl

I thought this might help some of you ladies so I did a test this summer and I must say price does not always equate quality.

Here are the results:

Keracare - I call this magic in a bottle when my hair is "wet." When I wash and condition w/the detangling poo and humecto I probably only lose like two hairs if even that. How could this be?.............While I may not be losing hairs it sucks the moisture right out of my hair. Needless to say I used this on and off for a yr. but decided to move on.

Nexxus Phyto Organics (Theratin, Humectin, Luxtress, Enphuse) - This stuff is a moisture miracle....................but also a strand robber due to its high protein content. I had a hair consult at Penneys (I won't let them do my hair anymore but I trust their advice) and I was told that this should only be used maybe once a month or if you color your hair often. A few of the white gals their said they use it faithfully but would imagine that if I used it wkly/daily that I am asking for breakage. I tried this twice and said sayonara to the whole line. I don't think that luxtress is that bad but I do not want to chance putting that much protein in my hair wkly.. They said quinoa protein is quite strong. It can help right when u need it and hurt if you don't.

Biolage Daily Moisture Leave-In Tonic - A keeper adds moisture w/out causing breakage. I just purchased this again because I like it as a leave in and I spray it on my hair during the summer when I wear a bun sealed w/(don't laugh............a dab of grease).

NTM - I revisit this quite often because it does not cause breakage and adds moisture w/out weighing me down. When I use this all my other products respond better. Surprisingly, for the price........I get what I want when I use this. I never thought that I would go back to a drug store line for my poo/cond. but after my little experiment I'm done for now. (Silk Touch and NTM serum were a little on the flat side for me but try them your hair might say otherwise).

Last edited:
Thank you for the review. I use the Phyto Organics Humectin and Luxxtress and NTM Silk Touch Leave-in. I like both lines, but I was surprised about what was said about Phyto. I've used it several times in a month and no problem for me. My hair loves moisture.

Thank you for the review. I use the Phyto Organics Humectin and Luxxtress and NTM Silk Touch Leave-in. I like both lines, but I was surprised about what was said about Phyto. I've used it several times in a month and no problem for me. My hair loves moisture.

The moisture was not the issue for me my hair soaked it up. The protein was the culprit. If it works for you fly with it. :drunk:

I thought this might help some of you ladies so I did a test this summer and I must say price does not always equate quality.

Here are the results:

Nexxus Phyto Organics (Theratin, Humectin, Luxtress, Enphuse) - This stuff is a moisture miracle....................but also a strand robber due to its high protein content. I had a hair consult at Penneys (I won't let them do my hair anymore but I trust their advice) and I was told that this should only be used maybe once a month or if you color your hair often. A few of the white gals their said they use it faithfully but would imagine that if I used it wkly/daily that I am asking for breakage. I tried this twice and said sayonara to the whole line. I don't think that luxtress is that bad but I do not want to chance putting that much protein in my hair wkly.. They said quinoa protein is quite strong. It can help right when u need it and hurt if you don't.

That's interesting about the Nexxus, thank you for sharing this information with us. Quinoa is the same protein in the Aveda Damage Remedy line too. At least these products will last a while as they are to be used 1x a month or so. I suppose I will use these lines in rotarion with my moisture stuff. :scratchch Good to know.

The moisture was not the issue for me my hair soaked it up. The protein was the culprit. If it works for you fly with it. :drunk:

I see. Since I rarely use protein-intensive conditioners, I guess the existing protein in the Phyto is just enough for me (Was the same for me with Nexxus Kherphix). I only need a light protein. My hairdresser always tells me to focus on hydrating my hair when I do my hair myself. He gives me a reconstructor after my touch-ups. Also, since I use henna, that strengthens my hair already.

Here are the results:

Keracare - I call this magic in a bottle when my hair is "wet." When I wash and condition w/the detangling poo and humecto I probably only lose like two hairs if even that. How could this be?.............While I may not be losing hairs it sucks the moisture right out of my hair. Needless to say I used this on and off for a yr. but decided to move on.

I second your review with KeraCare. I sold the stuff off or threw it out the window because I was experiencing the same.

I bolded your last statement regarding the quinoa protein, because this brings up the issue of why Aveda DR works on some but not on others. The Aveda DR has quinoa protein in it as well and it can be very strong and harmful on hair that doesn't need such intensive protein treatments.

I second your review with KeraCare. I sold the stuff off or threw it out the window because I was experiencing the same.

I bolded your last statement regarding the quinoa protein, because this brings up the issue of why Aveda DR works on some but not on others. The Aveda DR has quinoa protein in it as well and it can be very strong and harmful on hair that doesn't need such intensive protein treatments.

You just said a mouthful about the quinoa (It's good when u really need but harmful if you don't........................

:chocbunny:Ladies, I'm glad this is helpful info. for you all, ......I also forgot to add this one.................I used Biolage Fortifying Conditioner when I had breakage two yrs. ago and it stopped it almost immediately. It reminds me of keracare only more moisturizing even after my hair dried. (I said No, no, no to the poos though) I alternate this w/NTM like once a mos.. I used to use the whole Biolage line but needed to curb the spending. Otherwise this line is excellent. Again you want to make sure you're giving your hair a balance of moisture/protein w/any line u'r using.

Biolage Fortifying Conditioner

• Fortified with a fusion of concentrated ceramide, mango and lemongrass to repair and reduce breakage up to 90% (when using Fortifying Shampoo, compared to untreated hair)
Hair is detangled, frizz free & more manageable

I just use the conditioner and get good results w/out the shampoo. I don't use it often, but after trying nexxus I used it and my hair is good again.

Last edited:
Back