Cathy Howse is transitioning

brandy

I visited her website today and she has updated her site with new photos. She has 5 inches of natural hair and 9 inches of relaxed ends! Just felt like sharing.

brandy said:
I visited her website today and she has updated her site with new photos. She has 5 inches of natural hair and 9 inches of relaxed ends! Just felt like sharing.

I visited her site not too long ago, she's been transitioning for a while...I am not quite there yet though. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, there was a discussion here on Cathy's transitioning. Thanks for this thread though. I have a friend who is and you're reminding me of a good site to show her with pictures (besides this one, of course!).:)

where are the photos i can't see them on her site?

EDITED TO ADD: I've found them

Last edited:
Did anyone see more photos besides the two? Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

A long time ago I read some interview with Cathy while she was still relaxing and she actually said that she was going to go natural soon. I got the impression at the time that she had become curious about her natural texture because she was really big on stretching her relaxer. Happy to hear that she's going through with it. She definitely is one that feels that she has something to prove, and she will hopefully be successful doing it!

I read in one of her books or her site that it is because she was getting older and she was becoming more skeptical of the long-term use of chemicals used in or on her hair.
Country gal said:
Did she give a reason?

Thanks for answering my question and especially for the link. Here is what she is saying about going natural.

Aging brings with it its own complications. (Alzheimer’s, dementia and cancer) I have no interest in becoming a test dummy for relaxer products and the fewer chemicals I expose myself to, the better.
I am afraid of losing my hair to chemical relaxing. With so many sisters experiencing balding and thinning hair problems I found myself asking, what really causes Black women’s thinning hair? Do I think chemicals are the culprit? Chemical relaxers are one of the problems. Especially when they are constantly pushed on to the scalp with the back of the stylist hand, repeatedly throughout time. To help us understand this issue my next book will be on “Saving our hair after giving up chemical treatments”, thus the reason for my Thinning Hair Survey (another first for African-American women). One thing you should know is that no-lye relaxers are not the problem because even sisters who wear lye relaxers are having the same issues! It also has nothing to do with dry hair!
I want to demonstrate to sisters everywhere that you CAN stop relaxing your hair and keep it on your head! Going natural now after 35 years is a chore. The maintenance doesn’t change except now I HAVE to comb my natural hair wet to detangle and stretch it out or I end up with one big hard ball of hair roots with straight ends! Constantly, I am asked about what styles I wear. Now with the two textures of hair, I have opted for five styles:
Twist (yes even with long chemically straightened ends)
Ponytails
Plaits pulled up on top of my head with a scrunchie
2 pigtails pulled together with a scrunchie
Straight – with a blow dryer and flatiron (very seldom)
Watch for my book to give you more details!!

Back