Castile Conditioner --Experimented today to create a gentle cleanser

Leeda.the.Paladin

Copied and pasted from my blog:

I was dabbling around with my hair products when I had a peanut butter meets chocolate type of moment. I decided to mix my castile soap with my all time favorite cheapie conditioner Suave Tropical Coconut.
This was my first time using this but here is what I combined:

• 4 tbsp Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap
  • Roughly 15 oz Suave conditioner
  • 1 tbsp Olive Oil
I decided not to go heavy on the castile soap since it's powerful stuff undiluted!
I put it all in a container and shook the bottle thoroughly. I am still wearing braids but I went swimming in lake water today, as well as a lot of working out early this morning so I wanted to do more than cowash, but not shampoo.
I first thought to use my diluted castile soap per usual. But I thought, what the heck, I haven't had any hair disasters lately, let's try it out.
I love the results! It was a bit runnier than I would've liked but it sudded up still and cleansed very well without stripping my hair. I also got a lot more of the peppermint benefit on my scalp than I do when using castile soap diluted.
DSC04983.jpg
Freshly washed braids. Yes, they are fuzzy but they are nice and clean, with moisture still present!
My braids now smell very pepperminty and are soft without the buildup I was starting to feel. I'm going to try this again a few times, but so far I love it!
Some other things to try with this combination:

• Adding Aloe Vera Gel
  • Using another scent of castile soap, maybe unscented with essential oils
  • Using another cheapie conditioner
Has anyone out there tried this combo before?

Did almost the same with the lavendar castile and some conditioner. It was a last minute decision-did a hot oil treatment and the condish was not enough to get rid of the oily feel-I put some condish in may hand and a lil castile soap, and my hair felt great-clean but still soft and not stripped. I've read about people usisng castile as their shampoo--after I mixed it with condish it reminds me of Hairone cleanser-clean, but soft.

I used organic liquid black soap with a cheap conditioner with great results.
I think I will try your experiment!

GREAT THREAD!

Happy Hair Growing!

Copied and pasted from my blog:

I was dabbling around with my hair products when I had a peanut butter meets chocolate type of moment. I decided to mix my castile soap with my all time favorite cheapie conditioner Suave Tropical Coconut.
This was my first time using this but here is what I combined:

• 4 tbsp Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap
  • Roughly 15 oz Suave conditioner
  • 1 tbsp Olive Oil
I decided not to go heavy on the castile soap since it's powerful stuff undiluted!
I put it all in a container and shook the bottle thoroughly. I am still wearing braids but I went swimming in lake water today, as well as a lot of working out early this morning so I wanted to do more than cowash, but not shampoo.
I first thought to use my diluted castile soap per usual. But I thought, what the heck, I haven't had any hair disasters lately, let's try it out.
I love the results! It was a bit runnier than I would've liked but it sudded up still and cleansed very well without stripping my hair. I also got a lot more of the peppermint benefit on my scalp than I do when using castile soap diluted.
DSC04983.jpg
Freshly washed braids. Yes, they are fuzzy but they are nice and clean, with moisture still present!
My braids now smell very pepperminty and are soft without the buildup I was starting to feel. I'm going to try this again a few times, but so far I love it!
Some other things to try with this combination:

• Adding Aloe Vera Gel
  • Using another scent of castile soap, maybe unscented with essential oils
  • Using another cheapie conditioner
Has anyone out there tried this combo before?

Your hair looks nice & thick!

Great thread KCcurly!

I have been wanting to try Castile soap for a long time but heard it stripped your hair. This sounds like a good idea. I love suave and VO5 conditioners anyway so I know I will probably love this. In the mean time I need to finish up some shampoo I have now. I think I will start mixing VO5 with my shampoo too because shampoo alone seems to strip my hair so badly.

Great thread KCcurly!

I have been wanting to try Castile soap for a long time but heard it stripped your hair. This sounds like a good idea. I love suave and VO5 conditioners anyway so I know I will probably love this. In the mean time I need to finish up some shampoo I have now. I think I will start mixing VO5 with my shampoo too because shampoo alone seems to strip my hair so badly.

Tigerlily, the first time I used castile soap, I used it full strength and it about sucked my hair dry :lachen:

Most people dilute it in water. It works really well, you just have to dilute it to suit your hair.

:bump: I think I'll try this recipe when I purchase my next bottle. In the mean time I have a couple of PJ shampoo's I'll probably add oil to before my next washng. Including a Baby Shampoo, "Lurv the Idea"!

Yes I do this all the time lol I thought it would be similar to WEN I've never used WEN to know lol but I like it. My mix is peppermint or the brown bottle (hemp eucalyptus I believe) with suave professionals rosemary and mint. The smell divine.
Or the almond shea with mint. I usually mix mine by batch and never used oil maybe I'll be trying that tomorrow since I need to wash anyway

KcCurly, did you test the ph on your shampoo, I'd love to know. The concoction sounds very moisturising.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I didn't know there was a thread on this. I started doing this this year. I mix about 1 tbs of Castillo soap with 2 oz of curls ecstasy conditioner and several ounces of water. It works well for me.

I used to mix peppermint castile soap with Vo5 kiwi lime clarifying conditioner. It was the most refreshing cleansing conditioner ever! I ran out of castille soap a while back and I haven't repurchased yet.

I used to mix peppermint castile soap with Vo5 kiwi lime clarifying conditioner. It was the most refreshing cleansing conditioner ever! I ran out of castille soap a while back and I haven't repurchased yet.

This is good to know. I have both of these at my house right now.

Back