Caring for Twists

naijamerican

Hello!

I have decided to take the challenge of taking better care of my hair! I used to have it in braids, now I have it twisted. I know that my hair hasn't grown a lot. That's because I don't take good care of it, but that is about to change as I have spent several hours (I know, that is so ridiculous!) perusing others' albums...

So here's the thing. I've never really known how to take care of my hair. And lately, I haven't cared to, because I'm in grad school full-time and am always busy with school work or other meetings. I currently have my hair in two-strand twists that I got done professionally. I want to know (and this is kind of a dumb question, I'm really sorry...) how I should be shampooing and conditioning it in a way that doesn't mess up the style. And by the way, my hair is natural, about 4A. I know I need to get right and act like I know! Please help if you can!!!!!!!

First of all, quit apologizing! You're allowed to ask for help :). After 6 yrs or so of being natural, I still ask for help and don't care what others may think. After finals, I'm actually going to do twists myself. To maintain them, what I've done in the past was take sections of twists (maybe 5-8 sections, depending on how big or small your twists are), I would band them. This keeps the twists from unraveling and, somewhat, keeps the length of the twists.

Using thin hairbands made out of pantyhose, you start wrapping them (not tight) around the base of your section, then continue down the section of twists until you come to the ends.

OR, you can use basic black rubber bands to band the sections: one on top, one in the middle, one on the ends.

OR, you can simply braid sections of your twists and secure the ends with a rubberband or clip.
  • I would rub my favorite conditioner in my hair first. (For me, this prevents my hair from drying.)
  • Using a container (big water bottle, bowl, etc.), squeeze your shampoo into it and fill it up with water. Pour slowly above your head in one area and use your other hand to gently scrub with the pads of your fingers in small areas (don't scrub all over the place because that will create frizz).
  • Repeat until your whole scalp has been scrubbed.
  • After you've conditioned and rinsed, dab your hair, squeeze each section gently with your towel (rubbing will create frizz).
  • How you let them dry depends on your type of hair...
    You can try blow drying the twists while still banded, or let them airdry (FYI: if you braided your sections, they will dry with a crimped style). Or you can take out the banding and let them dry. If you do end up with frizz, smooth your twists back and tie them down with a satin scarf and let dry (they may dry real flat though, spritz w/water afterwards).
Hope this helps ;).

I would love to help, but I need a little more info. How long are your twists? Do you have a full head of individual twists? Any flat twists in the style at all?

Hey,

Thank you both for responding. I have a full head of medium-sized twists. As for length, it's about down to the bottom of my neck when stretched out, but obviously because of shrinkage it's shorter than that.

I hope this helps, thanks so much!

Den1 has an exellent how-to with pics on how to wash your twists/braids without messing them up. Its called the stocking cap method. Heres the link http://public.fotki.com/den1/texturized_to_transition/new_hair_journey_2005/cornrowsbox_braid_regime/shampoo_and_deep/

Her album is pw protected so you will have to ask her for the pw. I am sure she won't mind me giving it to you but, well....you know! I do this everytime I wash (I keep my hair in twists always) and my twists don't even frizz. I HTH!

naijamerican said:
Hey,

Thank you both for responding. I have a full head of medium-sized twists. As for length, it's about down to the bottom of my neck when stretched out, but obviously because of shrinkage it's shorter than that.

I hope this helps, thanks so much!
Well, in that case, girl you have options! :) Sweetyb gave you great advice on how to wash your twists and how to stretch them.

I'm on day 4 of my microtwists and I know I'll be ready to wash them real soon, but I have also incorporated flat twists into the style. I plan to braid them into four sections and wrap the ends around a large perm rod before getting into the shower to wash them. This will keep the ends from unraveling. I'll use diluted shampoo and gently manipulate my scalp in between the twists. Some have had success washing their twists through a stocking cap.

To dry, I will blot with a towel and wrap my head in a microfiber towel to soak up most of the water before spraying with a leave-in. If I want crimpy twists, I'll dry as is, otherwise I will take the rods and braids down and finish air dry.

At night, the banded method works well, or if you can, cross-wrapping your twists gives great results as well, before placing a sleep bonnet on your head.

Back