Cap mehtod of highliting

soslychic

Does anyone still use the cap method of highliting? I've heard that it's old fashioned and harmful, but I was under the impression that it was still used and I can't imagine how the method could be damaging (not including the actual damage from highlites themselves) Does anyone do this for themselves or have their stylists do it? What about touchups. Is it possible to touch up using this method?

I've had it done. The stylist ties the cap around your head, kinda like the hoods we used to wear on our coats as a child. They then take a rattail comb and pull strands of hair through the cap from underneath the cap, and then paint them with the color. It makes washing the color out easy because the cap secures your hair underneath that isn't dyed and it won't get messed up and the color won't bleed onto it. I personally didn't think it was damaging.
ohwell.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
I've had it done. The stylist ties the cap around your head, kinda like the hoods we used to wear on our coats as a child. They then take a rattail comb and pull strands of hair through the cap from underneath the cap, and then paint them with the color. It makes washing the color out easy because the cap secures your hair underneath that isn't dyed and it won't get messed up and the color won't bleed onto it. I personally didn't think it was damaging.
ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks karonica. And can you touch up in the same way?

It's damaging in the long run for longer hair because you are pulling hair through the holes and pulling the cap off on wet hair. Over time it will begin to look stringy and damaged. Not sure how you'd retouch using a cap, since you can't see what hair you're pulling through. I've never seen a cap retouch that didn't pull unhighlighted hair through.

[ QUOTE ]
anikalia said:
It's damaging in the long run for longer hair because you are pulling hair through the holes and pulling the cap off on wet hair. Over time it will begin to look stringy and damaged. Not sure how you'd retouch using a cap, since you can't see what hair you're pulling through. I've never seen a cap retouch that didn't pull unhighlighted hair through.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm........well highliting in teh beginning would be pointless if i can't get a retouch........

i had that method done also and i hated it. i can't stand when a stylist is rough with my hair. i really wanted to slap the s**t out of her. she put that cap on. my hair was dry. then she took a long thing that looked like a hook or whatever and then she started pulling the strands out of that cap through the holes. i wanted to scream. the hair broke too. at least some of it. then later on she pulled that damn cap off. since it was made of rubber it was pulling on my hair like crazy. when she was finished rinsing i told her that she can give me the comb and that i do it myself. i really didn't care. i was mad. and i think the cap process was more damaging than the highlights themselves....

[ QUOTE ]
NAY007 said:
i had that method done also and i hated it. i can't stand when a stylist is rough with my hair. i really wanted to slap the s**t out of her. she put that cap on. my hair was dry. then she took a long thing that looked like a hook or whatever and then she started pulling the strands out of that cap through the holes. i wanted to scream. the hair broke too. at least some of it. then later on she pulled that damn cap off. since it was made of rubber it was pulling on my hair like crazy. when she was finished rinsing i told her that she can give me the comb and that i do it myself. i really didn't care. i was mad. and i think the cap process was more damaging than the highlights themselves....

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW! Do you think it'd be better to do it at home?

I don't know if you can touch-up like that. I think foiling may be best for touching up the highlights without affecting the unprocessed hair.

My stylist uses the foil method which he and I prefer because Ive heard that the whole cap experience can be painful and damaging in and of itself. When using foil, the hair is out so he can see the previously-highlighted hair and just touch up the roots. He can also see exactly where the highlights will be and I can direct him: "One here, one over there", and so on....

I've been using the cap method for quite some time. I use the same cap over and over. That way I'm able to use the same holes. I have been extremely blessed to have never made a mistake. I can get extremely close to capturing the already highlighted strands for touch up.

hth

[ QUOTE ]
TsAngel said:
I've been using the cap method for quite some time. I use the same cap over and over. That way I'm able to use the same holes. I have been extremely blessed to have never made a mistake. I can get extremely close to capturing the already highlighted strands for touch up.

hth

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're still able to get basically the same hair through? That's interesting. I may try that someday if I'm feeling brave and if I can't do the process (the cap and holes and pulling) right, then I won't even mess with the chemical.

I've had both the cap method and the foil method, and I definitely liked the foil better. First of all, pulling your hair through the holes with that hook DOES hurt, just like Nay said!! It's enough to bring tears to your eyes, unless you have a very gentle person doing it. Second of all, when you go to get a "retouch" of your cap method highlights, they put the cap on and pull different hair through, mostly, although, if some previously highlighted strands get pulled through, they will get highlighted OVER what was already done, because they don't just put the bleach on the new growth, they put it on the length of your hair!! (twice as damaging!!)

My foil highlights were beautiful!! She used two different colors, and I got soooo many compliments on them, but when I went to get them touched up, the stylist wasn't there anymore and no one else in the salon knew how to do the foil method, so they did the cap method, and shortly thereafter, my hair broke off A LOT, especially around the edges in the front.

I think highlights are generally too damaging for people who relax. Unless you only get a few put in, I wouldn't do it. When I got them I got a full head of them and I would never ever do it again
nono.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Kamilla16 said:
I used the cap method, my hair turned out great!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Did you do it yourself? What brand/color did you use?

i use foil. i like it better cause you can see exactly how the highlight is going to lay. you can only use the cap if you have short hair.

So there is a maximum length for the cap method? Why? Why couldn't you still pull your hair through if it's long?

Back