Can you relax on a braidout? (long)

onejamifan

Can you relax on a braidout? pics

Hello ladies, so I have been thinking long and hard about my transition. I am almost 10 months post and blending the two textures has been killer! I have had to use direct heat with every wash and I've noticed that my attempts at keeping my edges laying down are resulting in some thinning :wallbash: It takes me twice as long to do everything (roll my hair, wash, detangle) so I decided to try out doing a textured style instead. My braid out turned alright for the first hours after I took down my braids, but it soon started getting a little flat, so I re-braided and went to bed. Now I took down my braids, but my edges are standing up and I look a HAM!

I have decided to end my transition because it really is not worth it to me at this point in time. I can't wash more than 1 x a week, I don't want to bun 24/7, wear a wig or weave, etc. I like wearing my hair down, and as of late I can't because it does not look right. What's the point of having HL hair if you can't wear it out? I don't want to have to flat iron my edges every few days and continue killing the hair the frames my face.

My question is the following: Do I have to straighten my hair prior to getting a relaxer or can I get it done on a braid out. When I was a kid I was always told by my stylists that I could not relax "wet styles", but I know that stylists don't know everything. Sooo if anyone knows the answer to this one, can you please help a sister out???

Thanks!

Pics on post 9

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that you're ending your transition... but yes you can relax your hair w/ a braidout... I've done it before w/ no problems...I apply conditioner to my relaxed hair to protect it from over-processing and that makes it easier to differentiate btwn the two textures...

ETA: I know you're going to post pics when you relax right? :grin: just saying...

What are you using to try to tame your edges? I would try some gel and the scarf method. Mango butter also worked well for me when I was transitioning.

As far as relaxing over a braid out - I don't see why you can't. As long as you can tell the new growth from previously relaxed hair it should be fine. Back when I was relaxed my stylist only did "wet styles" on all her clients and we all relaxed around 8 weeks with no problems. I've never heard that before. Obviously you can't relax wet hair but I assume you've been wearing the style for a while and it's totally dry.

Sorry to hear that you're ending your transition... but yes you can relax your hair w/ a braidout... I've done it before w/ no problems...I apply conditioner to my relaxed hair to protect it from over-processing and that makes it easier to differentiate btwn the two textures...

ETA: I know you're going to post pics when you relax right? :grin: just saying...

Thanks Kami for the feedback. Absolutely!! I will. I am thinking about going this weekend to get my hair done, so I will probably post by Sunday :)

I don't see why you can't relax w/ a braidout. It's when a person gets a virgin relaxer except in your case, only the new growth would be relaxed. Make sure who ever is doing your relaxer, relaxes your new growth & not root to tip.

Sorry to hear you are thinking of ending your transition. Have you considered a keratin treatment? There are some treatments that last a few months and there are others that will smooth your new growth for a month or so. You could try this and after a few months reconsider relaxing.

BTW, I'm also 10 months into my transition!

I was wondering the same thing - glad u posted this! I don't stretch per say, I get a relaxer anytime between 10 and 20 weeks, whenever i feel "ready". Anyway, with Spring coming, i just started braidouts again this week and I was thinking - will i have to wash n roller set before I go for a relaxer. My hair isn't wet tho, it's just not straight. It's kinda tangly b/c it isn't combed through and curly so i wondered if it would be awful to part and apply for relaxing. i wondered if there would be breakage. thx for asking this...

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you are thinking of ending your transition. Have you considered a keratin treatment? There are some treatments that last a few months and there are others that will smooth your new growth for a month or so. You could try this and after a few months reconsider relaxing.

BTW, I'm also 10 months into my transition!

What are you using to try to tame your edges? I would try some gel and the scarf method. Mango butter also worked well for me when I was transitioning.

As far as relaxing over a braid out - I don't see why you can't. As long as you can tell the new growth from previously relaxed hair it should be fine. Back when I was relaxed my stylist only did "wet styles" on all her clients and we all relaxed around 8 weeks with no problems. I've never heard that before. Obviously you can't relax wet hair but I assume you've been wearing the style for a while and it's totally dry.

I've honestly been on the fence about relaxing for a couple of months now. I might change my mind by the weekend and decide to continue the transition. The thing is that I REALLY like wearing my hair straight and I REALLY like that it's gotten this long. I want to wear it out all the time, but my edges start getting all kinds of crazy, so I flat iron them. That has resulted in thinning. If I use product on my edge and use the scarf, it lays down my whole head (I wear my hair with some volume), so then the relaxed hair gets flat, but the natural hair gets poofy and it looks weird. :perplexed:perplexed

Part of me feels like the past 10 months have been a great experience and I've gotten to see what my natural hair looks like (sort of). I think that I am making a choice between length and texture at this point, and length has won. Maybe next time around, I'll choose texture instead...

I wear my hair straight 90% of the time using a keratin treatment, so that wouldn't be an issue at all. I figure I can change my mind and texlax ANYTIME, but there's no way to retrieve the 10 months I already have in, if I texlax in a moment of weakness. Hope that makes sense.

But whatever you do, you'll still have some gorgeous hair!

This is what my edges look like this morning. I had to put a head band to keep my hair down.CIMG1164.jpgCIMG1165.jpg

The third picture is a few months old and my edges did not seem so thin. The last picture is of what my hair regularly looks like after I rollerset and flat iron. I never go for the super straight look, so that's why when I do the scarf method, the front comes out looking very different from the back...

Attachments

• CIMG0945.jpg
    CIMG0945.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 87
  • CIMG1042.jpg
    CIMG1042.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 72
^^^That's what my hair always looks like in front. I think it looks cute! The waves and curls in front give the hair a natural look - even though the back is very straight. Everyone has a different asthetic they are trying to achieve, however.

You don't have a tight curl pattern, so one keratin treatment would probably make your edges look much straighter than any relaxer would. In any case, I'm sure the 10 month stretch has done your hair a world of good.

your hair looks great girl, i dont think you should change a thing, if it really bothers you try using some mango butter, that works for me. Wish you the best in whatever you chose.

Your hair looks really good... Judging by the front part of your hair, it doesn't seem like you have a hard time keeping it smooth at all.

if your edges are a mess, then i don't know what mines are! :lachen: of course if you don't think it's straight enough, I would suggest a Keratin Treatment as well. Whatever you decide, you'll still have a head of gorgeous hair!

I still don't know what JBCO is :ohwell: Can you tell me what it is?

Jamaican black castor oil... here's a comparison of my edges
Novcomp1.jpg
I massage JBCO for 3-5 min 3x a wk

ETA: sorry the pic is so huge...

JBCO is jamaican black castor oil, people apply it to their scalp and edges/nape for accelerated/thicker growth....
Your hair is sooo lovely, I think your edges are cute, but I can see why they would bother you my sister(transitioning) has edges that looks like that and she really doesn't like it either.
Anyway, good luck! I'm sure this has been a good experience and next time around if you transition you'll just have more expertise....

You better post pics when you relax!!

Jamaican black castor oil... here's a comparison of my edges
Novcomp1.jpg
I massage JBCO for 3-5 min 3x a wk

ETA: sorry the pic is so huge...
THanks for the pics and the info. I am still have not relaxed, instead I colored using a semi-permanent Garnier product and wasn't smart enough to buy 2 bottles. Now my hair has 2 different shades in it!! :wallbash::wallbash:

At least the grays are gone and the little color made my edges look a little more filled in.

I am going to rollerset and flat iron next weekend and see how I feel after that.

Back