Can wearing an instant weave constantly cause breakage?

katote

I was thinking about wearing an instant weave for a few months to give my natural hair a break, but a friend of mines is experiencing breakage right wear the weave starts. Is that common? Ladies that wear instant weaves, how do you maintain your hair underneath?

I wear one all the time too. I usually wear a baggie on my head underneath (I MTG) and a stocking cap on top of that. I make sure to put the instant wig on where it is not tight. Sometimes, if I do not want to wear my hair out, I put on a head band. But I have not had any breakage from them. I hope this helps! Maybe you should try falls instead of the full caps; you can put them further back.

katote said:
I was thinking about wearing an instant weave for a few months to give my natural hair a break, but a friend of mines is experiencing breakage right wear the weave starts. Is that common? Ladies that wear instant weaves, how do you maintain your hair underneath?

I've heard some people had problems with breakage from the combs. But I've been wearing them since Fall 2002 with no problems. When I was relaxed I just combed my hair straight back and kind of tucked it under.

I wear mines close to the front of my head and I must admit if it is too tight the combs can cause some breakage. Just dont wear them too tight and you should be fine. I've been wearing mines constantly for years

JazzyDez said:
I wear mines close to the front of my head and I must admit if it is too tight the combs can cause some breakage. Just dont wear them too tight and you should be fine. I've been wearing mines constantly for years

I agree, just make sure you don't push the combs in too tightly. I did this at first, and it made my scalp itch like crazy! I only push them into the hair just enough for them to "hold" now, and it feels much better. I also try to alternate the spot where the combs are inserted day to day. I haven't noticed any damage. Also, be sure to apply an extra dab of moisturizer to the areas of your hair where the combs will be.

preciousjewel76 said:
I agree, just make sure you don't push the combs in too tightly. I did this at first, and it made my scalp itch like crazy! I only push them into the hair just enough for them to "hold" now, and it feels much better. I also try to alternate the spot where the combs are inserted day to day. I haven't noticed any damage. Also, be sure to apply an extra dab of moisturizer to the areas of your hair where the combs will be.

great point. too much tension in one spot constantly can cause breakage so try to switch it up.

Fall wearer here. I have yet to experience any bad breakage or thinning at the comb point of the instant weave.

I experienced breakage from the instant weave combs. I wore them for performances for several years (once or twice a week) and I am still recovering from the damage.

The combs can causes breakageif put in too tight, especially if you're wearing them daily. I think it depends on your hair too. I have seen some of my hair left in them when I took them out a couple of times. But usually not if I'm careful. I use bobby pins for added securing so I don't have to put the combs so tight.

i wear mine(full cap wigs) and so far i have no problems, i also have some half wigs but i dont wear them....i think if you are the type that is wearing them too much and sleeping with them in and not doing the proper up keep to your own hair then yes you could experience breakage....i thought for a minute that my sides were balding out which ive always had issues with the front area of my hair on the sides looking bald like but the combs dont go there and the rest of my hair line is not doing this...so im going to probably start using some temple balm to make my hair grow in...

well I worn one constantly for a bout a yr and my hair grew a lot. I was airdrying and my hair tangles too much for that...but other than that I loved it...I was constantly tryin new positions for it....It can chane the whole style

preciousjewel76 said:

Ditto to what all these fine ladies say about the combs. I just got a new fall from Soul Tress, and the combs do not bother me one bit and it is much more comfortable that my Sennsational Falls...lighter weight, combs are thinner... totally comforable.. and they have this little scalp looking thingie towards the top that makes my hair blend so well with the fall hair! I wish you guys could see it. I am getting so many complements. I moisturize everyday before I put it on, change up placement and wear ponys some days. Oh, I take mine off as soon as I get home and moisturize again...let my scalp breathe.... I also take them off and put my UPA clips on when I exercise.

Last edited:
Back