Can someone please explain "Blowing out roots" and "Dominican Blowdry"

sqzbly1908

Hi Friends,

Sorry for being ignorant on this one - I am in the south and never heard of this until I came to the LHCF...

I have been pondering this for a while. I guess what confuses me about blowing out roots after a roller set is that it that the curls are being blown out (is that right) - I understand the roots being straightened but my vision (if this was done to my hair) that my hair will be all over the place..

What is a Dominican Blow Out/Dry??

Thanks for your time!!!

Your right. When you do a rollerset and take the rollers out your roots will be wavy, curly etc. unless you have a fresh relaxer so...you take a round brush and blow the roots straight. That is blowing your roots out

You do one section at a time so it doesn't have your hair all over the place. I guess if it's your first time doing it, it may take practice to get the process down.

Ok heres a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PVe224cKe4 she does hers with a regular brush but it the same.

Last edited:
I'll do my best....

A Dominican blowout is a wash & rollerset, then the hair is brushed into a "doobie" (a wrap) and pinned. It is ultra sleek and pretty in a few hours. OR people get their roots blow-dried straight, then either wrapped or blown straight and sleek with a the blowdryer.

The Dominicans use super-hot blowdryers that have steam bursts and if you ask for "straight-straight" they will use those hot a** blowdryers to give you a super-straight sleek look with the blowdryer and the roundbrush.

Roots: At the salon, as the stylist go row by row and blow the roots straight, they then pincurl that section of hair if you want to preserve the curl.

Some ladies who do their own roots at home, prefer to use a flat iron on the roots only to preserve the curls. I do the pincurl method if I have the energy, but I am going for a straight look most of the time, so I just do the saran wrap method after blowing out my roots.

IMO, the difference between a roller set at a Dom salon & a AA salon is product and technique. The Doms use only a little product and no setting lotion. Also, they do something magical with those round brushes that's hard to mimic.

ETA: If you don't want to use any direct heat or you have a fresh relaxer, the "blowing out the roots" part can easily be skipped, especially with the saran wrap technique.

Your right. When you do a rollerset and take the rollers out your roots will be wavy, curly etc. unless you have a fresh relaxer so...you take a round brush and blow the roots straight. That is blowing your roots out

You do one section at a time so it doesn't have your hair all over the place. I guess if it's your first time doing it, it may take practice to get the process down.

Okay that makes sense...Thank you!!

I'll do my best....

A Dominican blowout is a wash & rollerset, then the hair is brushed into a "doobie" (a wrap) and pinned. It is ultra sleek and pretty in a few hours. OR people get their roots blow-dried straight, then either wrapped or blown straight and sleek with a the blowdryer.

The Dominicans use super-hot blowdryers that have steam bursts and if you ask for "straight-straight" they will use those hot a** blowdryers to give you a super-straight sleek look with the blowdryer and the roundbrush.

Roots: At the salon, as the stylist go row by row and blow the roots straight, they then pincurl that section of hair if you want to preserve the curl.

Some ladies who do their own roots at home, prefer to use a flat iron on the roots only to preserve the curls. I do the pincurl method if I have the energy, but I am going for a straight look most of the time, so I just do the saran wrap method after blowing out my roots.

Thanks MD...blow dryers with steam-never heard of that ...Girl, my little fine hair would not be able to handle all of that - my hair would be stuck to my scalp with all that going on...Thanks for breaking it down!!!

Hi Friends,

Sorry for being ignorant on this one - I am in the south and never heard of this until I came to the LHCF...

I have been pondering this for a while. I guess what confuses me about blowing out roots after a roller set is that it that the curls are being blown out (is that right) - I understand the roots being straightened but my vision (if this was done to my hair) that my hair will be all over the place..

What is a Dominican Blow Out/Dry??

Thanks for your time!!!

Blowing out the roots is when they straighten your new growth or rollers at the roots of the hair and not blow out the length of the hair....mainly to prevent damage to the hair and thinning....

Blowout is blowing out the whole head after a rollerset...

If you check my fotki the pics with the pink shirt are after a root blow out

I am going to get this done next friday, i want to see if a rollerset and doobie can get my natural hair straight, w/o use of a blowdryer....

I know for a fact my hair couldn't cope with that level of heat, certainly not on a regular basis anyway. :nono:

Seeing the smoke coming from that lady's hair dryer made me sacred for that girl's hair (and roots). :ohwell:

Back